Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Don't you know? Even when he does well, he really doesn't. It's like a mirage in the desert.

There is a narrative about Allen, and I don't think it will ever go away - even if he wins.

I was reading an article on the TBD site today, "Pro Football Focus says Bills' wide receivers need to do more," (why? I have no ide as PFF is particularly bad at most of their analyses) and this little tidbit is illustrative of the narrative: However, the play at the quarterback position might not be setting them up for optimal success... Though Allen has generated a high adjusted completion percentage thus far (77.6%), that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s been accurate. Only 17 of his 163 passing attempts this season have been deemed as 100% on the mark.

so they basically throw one of their made up stats under the bus just to try and confirm their thoughts on Allen..... that's solid work right there!!!

also.... both Beasley and brown are on pace for their BEST seasons as pro's to date. I bet both are fairly content with how josh has been setting them up on the stats sheet AND in the win column.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

so they basically throw one of their made up stats under the bus just to try and confirm their thoughts on Allen..... that's solid work right there!!!

also.... both Beasley and brown are on pace for their BEST seasons as pro's to date.

I bolded it, italicized it, and underlined it because this is the core of much of the criticism of Josh Allen: People continually looking only for those things that confirm what they believe. 

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Allen has led a 4th quarter comeback or game winning drive in 38% of his starts. Can Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, or Murray claim the same? 

I’d rather see Allen light it up against bad teams and not need a 4th quarter comeback or game winning drive. We are one of the worst teams in the league at scoring points. 

36 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’d rather see Allen light it up against bad teams and not need a 4th quarter comeback or game winning drive. We are one of the worst teams in the league at scoring points. 

Of course. As we all would. 

Does anything Allen demonstrates on the field indicate anything positive at all?

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Yep. But 12th at getting the yards. They (Allen) just need to protect the ball.

They're great in the red zone

#3 in red zone scoring percentage

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There are a number of reasons why they have not scored more points than they have and, believe it or not, Allen isn't the only reason.

But I know you have to be ecstatic that, no matter the reasons for how then might end up tied or behind in the fourth quarter, you have a QB on your team that plays really well in the clutch and is one of the highest rated 4th quarter and redzone QBs in the NFL.

Right?

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure if posted or not, but the geniuses at NFL.com have Allen behind Mayfield and Darnold. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001064131/article/qb-index-week-6-russell-wilson-catches-patrick-mahomes

Carson Wentz over Aaron Rodgers. Yiiikes.

This is a good line:

Bhanpuri: Mayfield currently carries the dubious title of being the NFL's worst best quarterback.

What does that mean?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Carson Wentz over Aaron Rodgers. Yiiikes.

This is a good line:

What does that mean?

Wentz Rodgers seems a push at this point. Wentz is doing more, but he’s had to. Rodgers is playing great but he hasn’t been asked to do as much.

it means: “Baker sucks, but mah narrative....”

Just now, Bangarang said:

Why would you even bother to ask such a stupid question?

Because lost in all the over the top criticism of his performance, the good aspects of his play get lost, ignored, or tossed out completely. 

It’s a legit question for his critics. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep. But 12th at getting the yards. They (Allen) just need to protect the ball.

They're great in the red zone

#3 in red zone scoring percentage

Believe me the points about us gaining yards and being great in the Redzone aren’t lost on me. We are able to move the ball pretty well but the biggest issue to me seems to be Allen turning the ball over way too many times (which you acknowledged). It’s great that Allen seems to play his best in the 4th quarter but I also don’t want to see bad teams keeping games close because he turns the ball over trying to do too much. 

At the end of the day winning is what matters most but in order for us to be the kind of team we hope to be under Allen (SB contenders) then he needs to really limit his turnovers.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Because lost in all the over the top criticism of his performance, the good aspects of his play get lost, ignored, or tossed out completely. 

It’s a legit question for his critics. 

Has my criticism been over the top or ignored the good aspects of his play though? I think I’ve been pretty fair with my praise and criticism of Allen. 

Edited by Bangarang

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Believe me the points about us gaining yards and being great in the Redzone aren’t lost on me. We are able to move the ball pretty well but the biggest issue to me seems to be Allen turning the ball over way too many times (which you acknowledged). It’s great that Allen seems to play his best in the 4th quarter but I also don’t want to see bad teams keeping games close because he turns the ball over trying to do too much. 

At the end of the day winning is what matters most but in order for us to be the kind of team we hope to be under Allen (SB contenders) then he needs to really limit his turnovers.

Has my criticism been over the top or ignored the good aspects of his play though? I think I’ve been pretty fair with my praise and criticism of Allen. 

I can’t speak to all of your praise or criticism of Allen as I haven’t read it all. And I don’t really care one way or the other.

What I know is, in this particular exchange, I initially pointed out his high percentage of 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives compared to his peers and you saw fit to suggest he wouldn’t even be in those situations if he could put up more points. You took a positive and immediately put a negative spin on it. And so it begged the question. Stupid as you seem fit to make it.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can’t speak to all of your praise or criticism of Allen as I haven’t read it all. And I don’t really care one way or the other.

You don’t know my history of praise and criticism  but still asked the question as if I’ve never acknowledged or praised him for anything good he’s done? 

What I know is, in this particular exchange, I initially pointed out his high percentage of 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives compared to his peers and you saw fit to suggest he wouldn’t even be in those situations if he could put up more points. You took a positive and immediately put a negative spin on it. And so it begged the question. Stupid as you seem fit to make it.

Is it not a legitimate point? Do you not have a problem with how many times Allen turns the ball over or the fact that we are 26th in the league in points scored at 18 per game? 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I crunches the numbers on Allen's YPG, which so far includes two very, very stringent passing defenses and does not include the upcoming two matchups vs the Dolphins. 

Right now, Allen is averaging 224.5 yards per game. Now, forecast that over the rest of the season (never mind the poor defenses we are looking to play) and that forecasts over 3500 yards.

Holy schnikes, I would have cut off a leg in previous seasons to have a QB throw for that many. I remember the calls for the Bills to trade for Cutler or Bradford to get numbers like that.  Just to keep things in perspective.

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I crunches the numbers on Allen's YPG, which so far includes two very, very stringent passing defenses and does not include the upcoming two matchups vs the Dolphins. 

Right now, Allen is averaging 224.5 yards per game. Now, forecast that over the rest of the season (never mind the poor defenses we are looking to play) and that forecasts over 3500 yards.

Holy schnikes, I would have cut off a leg in previous seasons to have a QB throw for that many. I remember the calls for the Bills to trade for Cutler or Bradford to get numbers like that.  Just to keep things in perspective.

You know times have been rough for us when people are willing to lose limbs just have to have a QB who’s finishes the year in the middle of the pack in passing yards.

ill never miss Tyrod throwing for 170 yards in a game

58 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It's way more then Allen turning the ball over. 

* There have been bad drops.  Both our rookie TE's dropped passes that stopped these kinds of drives against TN.

*  There have been sacks, which sometimes are on Allen but other times on the O-line.

*  There have been bad penalties.  Remember that dead ball PF against Feliciano that took us out of FG range against the Jets?  Or those other holding penalties that stalled out drives?

*  Play calling sometimes gets goofy when we get into this area.  Remember the Allen QB sneak on 4th & 2 at TN?  Or how about the McKenzie jet sweep on 3rd & 1 against Cincy?

The good news is that this is all fixable. 

• Like (+1) 1