Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

5 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

If you read what thebandit27 posted a few posts above yours that is what a franchise QB is. They are the guys that don't always need everything to go right for them to win. All those QBs you mentioned had everything go right for them to win. Yes they are elite QBs but not franchise ones. 

giphy.gif

Soooo... 

For you, Franchise QBs are a notch above Elite QBs????

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

With the season being over we can concentrate on post season stats 

Bruh... once again... ignore the threads you want to ignore.

You constantly scream about how the ignore feature is great for posters, well since there isn't an ignore feature for threads, use whatever self discipline you might have and just don't click on the threads you don't want to read... and then add an extra measure of self discipline--I have faith you have enough--and don't bother posting in it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This years QB grid came out.  I thought this thread is basically trying to show Allen's improvement so here is his two year's of grids...

joshgrid.thumb.jpg.793d7b2da99368d2ad28a901f858b667.jpg

Hapless posted the grid for last year and this year. Just by looking at this year, one can determine how Allen is performing relative to the rest of the league. Green is above average, yellow within the average, red below. In order to see the actual improvement (or regression) one would have to look at last year's grid for Josh. When one does so, it is evident that he has improved significantly, especially in throws before the los and in the 10 to 20 range right and left side.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Hapless posted the grid for last year and this year. Just by looking at this year, one can determine how Allen is performing relative to the rest of the league. Green is above average, yellow within the average, red below. In order to see the actual improvement (or regression) one would have to look at last year's grid for Josh. When one does so, it is evident that he has improved significantly, especially in throws before the los and in the 10 to 20 range right and left side.

I did not see his post.  In any case, at first it would not let me post both.  Said I used too much space.  They are both posted now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I did not see his post.  In any case, at first it would not let me post both.  Said I used too much space.  They are both posted now.

I never know how that posting thing works. Every time I try to post a funny meme or the like, it always seems to be a too much space situation. Board is missing out on comedy gold because I am incompetent in figuring out such things:rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This years QB grid came out.  I thought this thread is basically trying to show Allen's improvement so here is his two year's of grids...

joshgrid.thumb.jpg.793d7b2da99368d2ad28a901f858b667.jpg

joshgrid2.thumb.jpg.aaf606fb490c93ad10848a383377e587.jpg

I think that jives with what we've seen.

He's certainly improved his short to intermediate passing immensely.

For whatever reason, he struggles a bit throwing to the right side of the field.

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

For whatever reason, he struggles a bit throwing to the right side of the field.

Right-handed QBs tend to scramble more to their right. Josh was terrible throwing on the run this year and also learned to throw the ball away more often leading to more incompletions. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It may jibe with what we’ve seen. Allen doesn’t speak jive 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Image result for i dont care memes

Give me Josh's adjusted after throwaways.  I bet it goes up 5-10 points.

Not a bad game to play here.

Let's try adjusted completion percentage for Allen taking away both drops (22 was the number before the Jets game) and Throwaways (25)

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=232&type=Receiving

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#ks_passing_detailed_accuracy

Adjusted Completion percentage = 69%

Actually... just look at this reference for advanced passing stats with regard to accuracy... pretty interesting:

Highest drop percentage by 1 % (which is a lot)

3 spikes (tied for 4th most)

10 batted passes (13th most)

Okay. Adding the batted passes and spikes, Allen's accuracy percentage (and we still haven't looked at passes that weren't dropped but may have been catchable but were well defended or the WR wasn't looking or whatever...):

Adjusted Completion percentage = 71.8%

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not a bad game to play here.

Let's try adjusted completion percentage for Allen taking away both drops (22 was the number before the Jets game) and Throwaways (25)

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=232&type=Receiving

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#ks_passing_detailed_accuracy

Adjusted Completion percentage = 69%

Actually... just look at this reference for advanced passing stats with regard to accuracy... pretty interesting:

Highest drop percentage by 1 % (which is a lot)

3 spikes (tied for 4th most)

10 batted passes (13th most)

Okay. Adding the batted passes and spikes, Allen's accuracy percentage (and we still haven't looked at passes that weren't dropped but may have been catchable but were well defended or the WR wasn't looking or whatever...):

Adjusted Completion percentage = 71.8%

What does that number tell us in a vacuum without a comparison vs the rest of the league?

PFR has a nifty stat called “on target passing.” It excludes spikes and throwaways. It’s your percentage of throws on target. Josh ranks 21st in the NFL.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

What does that number tell us in a vacuum without a comparison vs the rest of the league?

PFR has a nifty stat called “on target passing.” It excludes spikes and throwaways. It’s your percentage of throws on target. Josh ranks 21st in the NFL.

Yep.

That's not the 32nd he currently ranks in completion percentage.

Pretty massive jump.

And I would say he falls very much within the standard deviation of accuracy for good NFL QBs in that range. Remember, accuracy and completion percentage in particular is not the Olympics; you don't have to be #1, you just have to be in a certain range overall. 

Allen had a higher on target percentage than Brady, Wentz, Goff, Stafford and Mayfield, among others, was 0.2% lower than Kyler Murray and 1.5% lower than Aaron Rodgers. The difference of 10 spots between him at 21 and Russell Wilson at 11 is a mere 3%, which is interesting considering Wilson's completion percentage was 7.3% higher than him.

So if you're one of those people who believe where you're ranked in the NFL in terms of accuracy is what's most important, then obviously Allen being 21st out of 32 means he's not very good--though clearly he's a lot better than that 32nd in completion percentage would indicate.

But like I said, accuracy is not the Olympics.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yep.

That's not the 32nd he currently ranks in completion percentage.

Pretty massive jump.

And I would say he falls very much within the standard deviation of accuracy for good NFL QBs in that range. Remember, accuracy and completion percentage in particular is not the Olympics; you don't have to be #1, you just have to be in a certain range overall. 

Allen had a higher on target percentage than Brady, Wentz, Goff, Stafford and Mayfield, among others, was 0.2% lower than Kyler Murray and 1.5% lower than Aaron Rodgers. The difference of 10 spots between him at 21 and Russell Wilson at 11 is a mere 3%, which is interesting considering Wilson's completion percentage was 7.3% higher than him.

So if you're one of those people who believe where you're ranked in the NFL in terms of accuracy is what's most important, then obviously Allen being 21st out of 32 means he's not very good--though clearly he's a lot better than that 32nd in completion percentage would indicate.

But like I said, accuracy is not the Olympics.

I don’t believe it’s the most important but it is important.

I think that 21st in the NFL in on target passing means there’s room for improvement. Especially when Josh is top 5 in bad throw%.

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Image result for i dont care memes

Give me Josh's adjusted after throwaways.  I bet it goes up 5-10 points.

on deep balls? Hard to tell what’s a throw away and what’s not he’s missed open guys by 10 yards at times this year. Cute gif though

Edited by JoPoy88