Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

... Your attitude comes across as just 'accept things the way they are.'

No. I expect better. 

nevermind. you most certainly can choose to continue to reside in the land of make believe, many do so....

your equation of the two diametrical points is baffling.

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Sure. And this is a little bit too intellectual.

More completions is never a bad thing. You are going to advance across the field. With that way of thinking you can never know if a missed endzone throw would have made a difference to a game if it was completed. 

The missed throw to knox in the endzone was an example of alot that happens with Allen. Its not rocket science to think you are better of in the grand scheme of things for throwing and catching that for a touchdown. 

How is it a better question?

It's another good question! 

That's the problem I've got, they can both be true 

Because Allen has shown that he can make plays reliably and move the offense effectively when he's allowed to play the game. Instead of worrying about whether or not he can make the little plays on a drive to drive basis, why not set him up to do what they know he does well? You know, put the dude in the position to do what he's most comfortable doing? That's what Belichick does. You'll never see him ask a player to do something that they don't already do well.

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

What are people watching? 

Watching?  Allen go 3 for 9 in the first half, with like 31 not yards passing?

He had some nice throws in 2nd half but was pretty brutal in 1st half.

What are you watching?

He ended up 50 % completions again.... Can't win with that.  

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Because Allen has shown that he can make plays reliably and move the offense effectively when he's allowed to play the game. Instead of worrying about whether or not he can make the little plays on a drive to drive basis, why not set him up to do what they know he does well? You know, put the dude in the position to do what he's most comfortable doing? That's what Belichick does. You'll never see him ask a player to do something that they don't already do well.

You mean that we could of started the game with simple throws for Allen? 

Just now, london_bills said:

You mean that we could of started the game with simple throws for Allen? 

I mean a lot of things could be different about the offense. 

Yes, they could call some quick pass plays instead of 4 straight runs on the first series. They could not go into a full lead-conservation mode on offense after the Brown TD. They could stop calling the same run play on first down every series right into the teeth of the defense.

But mostly I mean that they need to let the kid play football and stop asking him to manage the game. It's very easy to see.

7 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Watching?  Allen go 3 for 9 in the first half, with like 31 not yards passing?

He had some nice throws in 2nd half but was pretty brutal in 1st half.

What are you watching?

He ended up 50 % completions again.... Can't win with that.  

Ah yes, always "COMPLETION PERCENTAGE!!1!1!1!!1!1". Forget the rest of it; this is the stat that matters.

I'm pretty sure that the NFL is going to rescind 6 of the team's wins for Allen finishing the season below 60%.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Ah yes, always "COMPLETION PERCENTAGE!!1!1!1!!1!1". Forget the rest of it; this is the stat that matters.

I'm pretty sure that the NFL is going to rescind 6 of the team's wins for Allen finishing the season below 60%.

Allen makes too many poor throws. It hurts the team, despite all the good things he does. Nothing wrong with pointing out those misses. There were 2 TD's we missed that most QB's would have made.

Edited by klos63
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I mean a lot of things could be different about the offense. 

Yes, they could call some quick pass plays instead of 4 straight runs on the first series. They could not go into a full lead-conservation mode on offense after the Brown TD. They could stop calling the same run play on first down every series right into the teeth of the defense.

But mostly I mean that they need to let the kid play football and stop asking him to manage the game. It's very easy to see.

I agree with all of these points. they could do these things. I think my concern is why Allen is so off.

I'm sorry, but calling a couple of running plays to start the game shouldn't mean that the QBs arm is totally off on the first throws the QB has, know what I mean? . If we are always trying to make the QB comfortable to start the game then the opposition starts to know what we are doing more. 

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Allen makes too many poor throws. It hurts the team, despite all the good things he does. Nothing wrong with pointing out those misses. There were 2 TD's we missed that most QB's would have made.

I have no problem with pointing out areas in which he needs to improve. None whatsoever. 

When people focus on completion percentage as though it determines the outcome of the game, it sounds absurd.

For the record, I don't know that I'd say "most" QBs make those 2 throws. I would say, however, that Allen should have hit at least one of them. Though the play at the end I admit I'm okay with throwing that one over the top and safe; the thinking being that you've got 2 more chances. How was Josh supposed to know that the right side of the line would play turnstile on consecutive game-deciding plays?

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I agree with all of these points. they could do these things. I think my concern is why Allen is so off.

I'm sorry, but calling a couple of running plays to start the game shouldn't mean that the QBs arm is totally off on the first throws the QB has, know what I mean? . If we are always trying to make the QB comfortable to start the game then the opposition starts to know what we are doing more. 

I'm more concerned about his comfort level at the start of games in the short-term than I am long-term. I expect that he'll grow into a higher comfort level for these big games as he matures. For now, he's just scratching the surface of what it means to be an NFL QB. It's the toughest position in pro sports, and he's gone from nowheresville to the grandest stage in less than 2 years, so I'm not surprised that he gets too amped up at first.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Though the play at the end I admit I'm okay with throwing that one over the top and safe; the thinking being that you've got 2 more chances. How was Josh supposed to know that the right side of the line would play turnstile on consecutive game-deciding plays?

I thought the 4th down play was incredible too, it was not easy getting out of that pocket and IMO he threw a really good ball. Unfortunately the target was 5'8 Beasley. No chance in hell he was going to win that catch. This team needs a 6'2 or taller receiver in the worst way. Someone that can jump and grab the ball out of the air.

Edited by HappyDays

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have no problem with pointing out areas in which he needs to improve. None whatsoever. 

When people focus on completion percentage as though it determines the outcome of the game, it sounds absurd.

For the record, I don't know that I'd say "most" QBs make those 2 throws. I would say, however, that Allen should have hit at least one of them. Though the play at the end I admit I'm okay with throwing that one over the top and safe; the thinking being that you've got 2 more chances. How was Josh supposed to know that the right side of the line would play turnstile on consecutive game-deciding plays?

I'm more concerned about his comfort level at the start of games in the short-term than I am long-term. I expect that he'll grow into a higher comfort level for these big games as he matures. For now, he's just scratching the surface of what it means to be an NFL QB. It's the toughest position in pro sports, and he's gone from nowheresville to the grandest stage in less than 2 years, so I'm not surprised that he gets too amped up at first.

LOL   Sounds like you Do.

• Like (+1) 1

For the record, I don't know that I'd say "most" QBs make those 2 throws. I would say, however, that Allen should have hit at least one of them. Though the play at the end I admit I'm okay with throwing that one over the top and safe; the thinking being that you've got 2 more chances. How was Josh supposed to know that the right side of the line would play turnstile on consecutive game-deciding plays?

Play at the end by allen no one should criticize, he gave beasley a chance. 

7 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

LOL   Sounds like you Do.

Nope.

My disdain is for ignorance and stupidity.

Make a relevant point and we'll talk about it. Much like London has done.

Come with "COMPLETION PERCENTAGE!!!1!1!1" as your case and you get sassed for spouting drivel.

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

For the record, I don't know that I'd say "most" QBs make those 2 throws. I would say, however, that Allen should have hit at least one of them. Though the play at the end I admit I'm okay with throwing that one over the top and safe; the thinking being that you've got 2 more chances. How was Josh supposed to know that the right side of the line would play turnstile on consecutive game-deciding plays?

Play at the end by allen no one should criticize, he gave beasley a chance. 

Agree, but I was talking about the 2nd down to Knox. He should've got that throw despite it being a tough fit over 2 defenders. Though I am a bit more forgiving of that than the first drive because at the end you have two more shots after 2nd down, so I can see playing that throw on the safe side.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope.

My disdain is for ignorance and stupidity.

Make a relevant point and we'll talk about it. Much like London has done.

Come with "COMPLETION PERCENTAGE!!!1!1!1" as your case and you get sassed for spouting drivel.

Agree, but I was talking about the 2nd down to Knox. He should've got that throw despite it being a tough fit over 2 defenders. Though I am a bit more forgiving of that than the first drive because at the end you have two more shots after 2nd down, so I can see playing that throw on the safe side.

No I agree with that. Allen should have hit it 

2 hours ago, london_bills said:

'But he also made throws I don't know if other QBs could make, like that Brown TD pass falling backwards with defenders in his face.' 

Yes. We know this, Allen is exciting.

The truth is he is not making the easy throws and we are held back by this. 

Constant 3 and outs in the first half cost us. He plays overwhelmed and misses everything easy in the first half. These things have to be acknowledged. 

Yes we are 10-5 but look at the QBs who have beaten the patriots this season. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson. We needed a performance like that to help towards beating the Pats.

When he started to connect Shock HORROR we were in the lead. 

I can see where we could be with a better QB, sorry. 

Haha Of course! 

Like I say, I can see where we would be with a better QB. Just imagine 10 more completions in that game. 

That would put him at almost 89% completion rate. Show me who that QB is against the best pass defense in the NFL.  Really he only needed 1 more completion.  That doesn't mean he is the reason we lost though.  Imagine a defense that could get off the field and give your offense more opportunities with the ball.  Imagine an oline that doesn't allow jail break rushers at your QB even when they aren't blitzing.  Imagine a run game that was effective.  Imagine not running the ball 5 straight times when you start in FG position.  Imagine not running the ball 3 straight times after scoring a huge TD on the drive before hand.  Imagine an OC that isn't predictable on everything he does. 

There is ton of blame to go around.  The easiest one to blame is a guy that missed a few passes.  I don't understand why some people always have to find that ONE person to blame.  Oh wait, I do.  Its because they hate Allen.

Edited by Scott7975