Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

5'9", 5'11", 6'2"

5'8", 5'11", 5'8"

Actually Lamar's favorite targets are:

1.) Mark Andrews 6'4" TE

2.) Hollywood Brown 5'9" WR with 4.3 speed

3.) Willie Snead 5'11" WR

Then his next two leading receivers are his other two 6'4" TE's in Hurst and Boyle. Combined his TE's, who are all 6'4",  have accounted for 112 of Lamar's 245 completions. Add in the 12 by Miles Boykin, their 6'4" WR, and the total jumps to 124 of Lamar's 245 completions going to players that are 6'4". 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

You clearly don't understand what the word "fact" means. You keep confusing facts with your personal opinions. 

The Bills are 10-4 and have clinched a playoff spot in week 15. The only reason we're not considered Super Bowl contenders because our offense is so poor. 

This is interesting wording...

you say "the only reason we're not considered Super Bowl contenders."  

So, are you then acknowledging that we actually are Super Bowl contenders... or was that just a Freudian slip?

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

wilson and allen's running styles are nothing alike lmao. Murray is more like Wilson. Allen runs like a full back and takes unnecessary sacks, he has way higher chance of getting injured than all the QB's being named here.

size does not matter, it is the way you protect yourself from hits and how good you are at avoiding hits. Allen is pretty awful at avoiding big hits, Kyler Murray is one of the best in the league at it. Look at Cam Newton...took hits for 3-4 years and is now crippled. 

My point was that Wilson runs mostly as a second option on a play and Allen is starting to follow this pattern.  That is the "style" I was referring to. 

In contrast Jackson runs mostly by design.  The Ravens blocking schemes and pass routes are set up to enable Jackson to run if that's what he chooses to do.  Wilson and Allen mostly run when their pass protection breaks down or the D-line is undisciplined in their pass rush and leaves wide open run lanes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will agree though that if the Bills want to be a team that doesn't lose another game for the rest of the season......................

the offense as a whole need to step up their game, starting with receivers holding onto the ball, Gore finding the fountain of youth, the OL recognizing a blitz...........

and 4th quarter Josh Allen needs to be heard from before the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, VW82 said:

It's been said several times in this thread, including by a mod, that Jackson wouldn't be anywhere close to what Allen is in Buffalo. "Nothing" is perhaps overstating it but so is what was actually said. 

I'm not sure what significants the "mod" thing has here.  Call me by my name, @VW82.  When I'm talking football, I'm not speaking as a mod.

You are also misrepresenting somewhat.  The actual point of discussion was  a claim that Jackson would do as well or better than Allen, IF HE WERE DROPPED INTO OUR OFFENSE WITH OUR CURRENT PLAYERS in Buffalo.  

Nowhere did I say "he wouldn't be anywhere close to what Allen is in Buffalo", but I don't think he'd be better and quite likely not as well.

@jrober38... please tell us what you disagree with in this assessment of the Steelers game:

https://theathletic.com/1465285/2019/12/17/bills-all-22-review-josh-allen-does-the-little-things-and-cody-ford-has-his-best-game-of-the-season?source=shared-article

1) Allen flips the script once again

It shouldn’t be a surprise by now because of how often Josh Allen does this sort of thing. For the fifth or sixth time in his young career, Allen turned a notable weakness in his game into a non-factor the following week. Allen’s development is ongoing, showing that he isn’t stuck in his ways. He makes changes to be a better asset to his team and to help move the ball down the field more effectively. While the defense deserves a heap of praise for the Bills’ success this season, Allen does too for his nonstop tinkering.

The previous week, the Ravens seemed to find a way to turn the clock back on Allen. They made him nervous, he panicked in the pocket more than he has in the last two months and, worse, he hung onto the ball far too long. So, Allen went back to the drawing board. His processing speed, against an aggressive Steelers defense, was better than it’s been all season. He saw things well ahead of the snap, he made quick decisions and he didn’t allow the Steelers’ pass rushers to control the game. Last week against Baltimore, the average time it took Allen to throw, scramble or get sacked was 2.93 in 50 dropbacks — one of his highest single-game averages of the season. In 30 dropbacks against Pittsburgh, Allen cut that down by almost half a second, averaging 2.48 seconds before the throw, scramble or sack. In the Ravens game alone, there were 20 separate plays where Allen held onto the ball for at least three seconds before making a decision or getting sacked.

One glance at Allen’s traditional stat line against Pittsburgh might be underwhelming. Reviewing the film and watching Allen’s decisiveness and ball placement revealed a bit more. Allen was confident, he didn’t allow the Steelers to do what they wanted defensively and his execution of the game plan removed the ball-hawking Minkah Fitzpatrick from the game. On some of his more significant pass plays, Allen’s eyes moved Fitzpatrick away from his real target. We all remember the post-Renegade deep ball to John Brown –Fitzpatrick would have been there had Allen not given a long look right at the beginning of the play. Similarly on the Tyler Kroft touchdown, Allen froze safety Terrell Edmunds in place by looking left before going to his real read on the right and firing a dart for the go-ahead score.

These, along with the pre-snap modifications and quickened processing time post-snap, are next-level quarterbacking improvements. You see a line of 13 for 25 for 139 yards on the box score, but when you remove drops (3), throwaways (2) and passes tipped at the line of scrimmage (3), Allen’s adjusted completion rate is 76.5 percent. If Allen can be consistent with this style of play, the Bills are onto something with their second-year player.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I just want to highlight the progress Allen has made at every stage of his career. I did it with passer rating to keep things simple, in 5 game increments.

Games 1-5: 60.4 passer rating

Games 6-10: 70.3 passer rating

Games 11-15: 80.8 passer rating

Games 16-20: 82.5 passer rating

Games 21-25: 90.1 passer rating (if you add in game 26 against Pittsburgh, it's 86.8)

He keeps getting better at every stage of his career no matter how you measure it. The question isn't whether Allen is good enough right now. The question is whether this trend will continue, or flatten out, or regress.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

@jrober38... please tell us what you disagree with in this assessment of the Steelers game:

https://theathletic.com/1465285/2019/12/17/bills-all-22-review-josh-allen-does-the-little-things-and-cody-ford-has-his-best-game-of-the-season?source=shared-article

1) Allen flips the script once again

It shouldn’t be a surprise by now because of how often Josh Allen does this sort of thing. For the fifth or sixth time in his young career, Allen turned a notable weakness in his game into a non-factor the following week. Allen’s development is ongoing, showing that he isn’t stuck in his ways. He makes changes to be a better asset to his team and to help move the ball down the field more effectively. While the defense deserves a heap of praise for the Bills’ success this season, Allen does too for his nonstop tinkering.

The previous week, the Ravens seemed to find a way to turn the clock back on Allen. They made him nervous, he panicked in the pocket more than he has in the last two months and, worse, he hung onto the ball far too long. So, Allen went back to the drawing board. His processing speed, against an aggressive Steelers defense, was better than it’s been all season. He saw things well ahead of the snap, he made quick decisions and he didn’t allow the Steelers’ pass rushers to control the game. Last week against Baltimore, the average time it took Allen to throw, scramble or get sacked was 2.93 in 50 dropbacks — one of his highest single-game averages of the season. In 30 dropbacks against Pittsburgh, Allen cut that down by almost half a second, averaging 2.48 seconds before the throw, scramble or sack. In the Ravens game alone, there were 20 separate plays where Allen held onto the ball for at least three seconds before making a decision or getting sacked.

One glance at Allen’s traditional stat line against Pittsburgh might be underwhelming. Reviewing the film and watching Allen’s decisiveness and ball placement revealed a bit more. Allen was confident, he didn’t allow the Steelers to do what they wanted defensively and his execution of the game plan removed the ball-hawking Minkah Fitzpatrick from the game. On some of his more significant pass plays, Allen’s eyes moved Fitzpatrick away from his real target. We all remember the post-Renegade deep ball to John Brown –Fitzpatrick would have been there had Allen not given a long look right at the beginning of the play. Similarly on the Tyler Kroft touchdown, Allen froze safety Terrell Edmunds in place by looking left before going to his real read on the right and firing a dart for the go-ahead score.

These, along with the pre-snap modifications and quickened processing time post-snap, are next-level quarterbacking improvements. You see a line of 13 for 25 for 139 yards on the box score, but when you remove drops (3), throwaways (2) and passes tipped at the line of scrimmage (3), Allen’s adjusted completion rate is 76.5 percent. If Allen can be consistent with this style of play, the Bills are onto something with their second-year player.

That's a fair assessment.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I just want to highlight the progress Allen has made at every stage of his career. I did it with passer rating to keep things simple, in 5 game increments.

Games 21-25: 90.1 passer rating (if you add in game 26 against Pittsburgh, it's 86.8)

He keeps getting better at every stage of his career no matter how you measure it. The question isn't whether Allen is good enough right now. The question is whether this trend will continue, or flatten out, or regress.

Wow.

That's really amazing considering he's in the thick of the most difficult stretch of defensive units he's ever faced.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Wow.

That's really amazing considering he's in the thick of the most difficult stretch of defensive units he's ever faced.

Yep he's in a murderer's row of pass defenses right now. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and New England are all top 5 pass defenses. Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first stretch of games where his passer rating goes backwards but the overall trend is hard to ignore.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I was just heartened by a locker room interview of Mitch Morse.  ~2:40 in: he is asked how much has Josh grown since the first NE game.  Without hesitation he says "A ton".  Then he lapses into boilerplate (I think we all have, we still have a lot to work on etc etc) but just the tone and the unhesitating simple response came across as heartfelt and real.

If you're a QB, your center more than anyone else is the guy who knows your deepest secrets.

We'll see!  CAN'T WAIT!

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was just heartened by a locker room interview of Mitch Morse.  ~2:40 in: he is asked how much has Josh grown since the first NE game.  Without hesitation he says "A ton".  Then he lapses into boilerplate (I think we all have, we still have a lot to work on etc etc) but just the tone and the unhesitating simple response came across as heartfelt and real.

If you're a QB, your center more than anyone else is the guy who knows your deepest secrets.

We'll see!  CAN'T WAIT!

How Allen plays in this game will tell alot. 

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yep he's in a murderer's row of pass defenses right now. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and New England are all top 5 pass defenses. Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first stretch of games where his passer rating goes backwards but the overall trend is hard to ignore.

Dallas and Denver were both top-10 pass D units when he faced them too.

Josh Allen has made significant strides with his accuracy.

The Buffalo Bills' quarterback has completed 59.3% of his passes this season, up from 52.8% as a rookie. That number deserves to be higher, though.

Allen's pass catchers have let him down too often this season. According to analytics website Pro Football Focus, the Bills have 34 incompletions that they fault the receiver for. That's tied for the fifth most in the NFL through Week 15.

The breakdown:

Dawson Knox, 8
Cole Beasley, 8
Devin Singletary, 5
John Brown, 5
TJ Yeldon, 1
Andre Roberts, 1
Robert Foster, 1
Tommy Sweeney, 1
Patrick DiMarco, 1
Duke Williams, 1
Isaiah McKenzie, 1
Frank Gore, 1

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/20/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-receivers-drops-new-england-patriots-nfl/

• Thank you (+1) 1