Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

For most teams 2nd&1 is a gift to take a shot downfield.  The play call was just fine.  Don’t anyone blame Daboll for that.  There is definitely some blame to go around regarding execution on a number of plays.  We won’t always get to play teams like Washington where we can get away with it. 

We were on the goal line.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I agree on the Knox play, clear evidence he was short and the refs spotted it correctly.  No way that one is over turned.  On the PI yes clear evidence there was PI, but as about 100 others have already stated, pretty much none of the challenged PI calls are being overturned.  If I didn't know better I'd suspect collusion on the part of the officials.

It’s not collusion on the part of the officials ( re: overturning PI calls). They are under directive not to change these calls from the league, as games would be a veritable schi&$show. That rule will be enforced only in the playoffs.John Parry ( retired official now on TV broadcast ) alluded to this in an article I read in the NY post last week. He said he sees the rule becoming an issue “ when it is enforced in the playoffs and fans say that’s not what we’ve seen all year “. I found that very telling, as I’ve suspected the rule was put in to appease the coach (es) and assure the NFL isn’t embarrassed again in a playoff game. If they started overturning these in the regular season, more non calls would be challenged and the game would eventually become unwatchable. The first overturn of a call/ non call will happen in a playoff game. 

No INTs in three games now, and a total of 7 through 8 games.  There are the three lost fumbles and four rushing scores so the total TD/TO rate for Josh is 14/10.  Still needs work but trending in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Calling the occasional run is worthwhile to keep the RPOs believable. Same with the jet sweeps. Now, calling so many of these is an issue. 

Sure, but I just don't see the point of Josh running if there aren't big plays to be had. He took over games last year with his legs. 

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Wow, this is arguing a goal line offensive formation shouldn’t exist. Gonna need more data than common sense.

Because common sense suggests handing it off to your RB 2-3 yards back in shotgun turns a 1 yard run into a 4 yard run.

The running back is still a few yards from the LOS in I form/goalline and shotgun .  It’s 5-7 yards in both formations.

5 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Sure, but I just don't see the point of Josh running if there aren't big plays to be had. He took over games last year with his legs. 

Mostly from scrambling. IMO Daboll only needs to use it once or twice a game just to keep defenses honest.... unless it’s getting chunk yardage. Teams are spying Allen this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Wasn't he 70% yesterday?

70%  with a QBR of 72.8  and a RAT  of 110.4

Which again brings us to.....   what is the purpose here? 

48 minutes ago, eball said:

No INTs in three games now, and a total of 7 through 8 games.  There are the three lost fumbles and four rushing scores so the total TD/TO rate for Josh is 14/10.  Still needs work but trending in the right direction.

:worthy: 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s not collusion on the part of the officials ( re: overturning PI calls). They are under directive not to change these calls from the league, as games would be a veritable schi&$show. That rule will be enforced only in the playoffs.John Parry ( retired official now on TV broadcast ) alluded to this in an article I read in the NY post last week. He said he sees the rule becoming an issue “ when it is enforced in the playoffs and fans say that’s not what we’ve seen all year “. I found that very telling, as I’ve suspected the rule was put in to appease the coach (es) and assure the NFL isn’t embarrassed again in a playoff game. If they started overturning these in the regular season, more non calls would be challenged and the game would eventually become unwatchable. The first overturn of a call/ non call will happen in a playoff game. 

I was using the word "collusion" in a somewhat joking manner only because you hear it some much these days in sports and government these days. 20 years ago, don't recall ever hearing that word.

Hadn't seen that article, interesting if true.  Assuming it's true, I wonder why they didn't just make the rule in effect for the playoffs only.  There are other rules like OT rules that differ between regular season and playoffs.

Josh is on pace for 3,300 yards passing, 500 yards rushing, 60.9% completion percentage, 20 passing TD's, 8 rushing TD's, 14 INT's, 4 fumbles lost, and a 12-4 record. 

That all being said that's not a bad improvement in year two thus far. 28 TD's (rushing and passing) against 18 turnovers is not an ideal scoring to turnover ratio. However I think that his decision making has been growing week to week. I think his most recent turnovers have been more of a result bad play calling due to designed run calls that make no sense. But his accuracy in the short and intermediate game has been impressive thus far, I also think that his game overall has been massively improving in many respects. I also think that it is fair to say that while the offensive talent around him isn't bad it isn't great either. Josh has no true number one WR and no true consistent TE in the passing game either. 

One concern with Josh is the deep ball which just hasn't been there as of this season. I think his adjusting his game to be more touch based and accuracy based in the short range has thrown off his deep ball touch. But I hope that as he get more comfortable with his short and intermediate game. 

TLDR: By the numbers you see a typical "Year Two" QB some improvement, some flaws, and a long way to go but possibly getting there. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The more people you crowd around the football, the more defenders you’re inviting around the football. 

The more defenders you have around the football, the less space there will be up the middle and the more weight the OLine has to push.

To attempt this once is pretty dumb.

To attempt this multiple times in a game - including three times in a row on the goal line - is INCREDIBLY F’N STUPID.

Crazy concept - if you desperately want to hand off to your RB up the gut, then spread out the formation with four wideouts. Take the snap from shotgun.

Common sense GUARANTEES that there will be more space for your RB to get a yard with less humanity in front of him.

Chris Brown repeated this point on One Bills Live just a few minutes ago. 

Used the example of Spiller averaging over 6 yards per rush attempt as a result of Gailey’s spread formations.

Chris - thanks for reading, but next time please credit the forum and myself. ?

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Wow, this is arguing a goal line offensive formation shouldn’t exist. Gonna need more data than common sense.

Because common sense suggests handing it off to your RB 2-3 yards back in shotgun turns a 1 yard run into a 4 yard run.

It can still exist for meathead football coaches with outdated (dinosaur) mentalities.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It can still exist for meathead football coaches with outdated (dinosaur) mentalities.

Hey man, Brian Daboll has an econ degree from U of R. Show some respect.

the Pats do it all the time btw. Guess BB is just a dinosaur meathead.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 hour ago, eball said:

That's really all I wanted to see this year, clear and continual improvement. If anyone expected Allen to be a finished product this year I don't know what to tell them. He still needs to improve but he has made a ton of progress this year and I see him getting a little better every week.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Get back to me when you find out. Until then, your example is pointless.

No, your counterpoint was that the goalline offense only exists for meathead coaches. Including the greatest, most forward thinking coach ever. You lost. Now go get your ***** shinebox.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Josh is on pace for 3,300 yards passing, 500 yards rushing, 60.9% completion percentage, 20 passing TD's, 8 rushing TD's, 14 INT's, 4 fumbles lost, and a 12-4 record. 

He also has a passer rating of 82.9 and ANY/A of 5.38, both are big improvements on what he did last year. Still not good enough but if he keeps progressing we're in great shape. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I was using the word "collusion" in a somewhat joking manner only because you hear it some much these days in sports and government these days. 20 years ago, don't recall ever hearing that word.

Hadn't seen that article, interesting if true.  Assuming it's true, I wonder why they didn't just make the rule in effect for the playoffs only.  There are other rules like OT rules that differ between regular season and playoffs.

Yeah, the OT rules are an anomaly there. You probably don’t want a bunch of different rules that only apply during playoff games. My guess is that wasn’t a road the league wanted to go down again. The whole idea of reviewing calls of a rule like PI that is applied and enforced loosely and different between games/ crews etc was a bad idea. The Saints complained loudly enough, and the play caused the league to have a lot of egg on its face. I believe the league has quietly issued a directive to the officials not to enforce the rule unless a hugely egregious call/ non call happens in the playoffs.