Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That was a good no challenge, if you ask me. There's no way the refs reverse that. Was it interference? Probably. But the refs only reverse incredibly bad misses, not ones like that.

I agree with all of your other points. Play calling has not been helping this offense. Too many cute gadget plays in key situations. Too predictable. Running the same plays over and over (even when they aren't working). That's a problem.

The weird thing is I like a lot of the concepts that Daboll uses. I think he has designed a good offense. I just think he's bad at actually calling it sometimes.

That was an incredibly  bad miss by refs Brown jumped up for ball to catch it but was being pulled down by his feet. That obviously hindered Browns ability to catch the ball which the rule states. Even live it was obvious to me. That should have been challenged and the Knox spot should have been challenged.  No clue why the hell we didnt. Both had clear video evidence. Seems like only time we do challenge is when video isnt clear enough

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Allen's performance today. He reigned in the hero ball and played a solid game, but the scoring isn't there. They're going to have to score more points on a consistent basis to keep winning. 

If they converted any of their short yardage opportunities today, they would have scored in the 30's.

And the short yardage problems weren't on the QB either.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

That was a good no challenge, if you ask me. There's no way the refs reverse that. Was it interference? Probably. But the refs only reverse incredibly bad misses, not ones like that.

I agree with all of your other points. Play calling has not been helping this offense. Too many cute gadget plays in key situations. Too predictable. Running the same plays over and over (even when they aren't working). That's a problem.

The weird thing is I like a lot of the concepts that Daboll uses. I think he has designed a good offense. I just think he's bad at actually calling it sometimes.

I've yet to see them overturn an interference call. At least that I can remember

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

That was an incredibly  bad miss by refs Brown jumped up for ball to catch it but was being pulled down by his feet. That obviously hindered Browns ability to catch the ball which the rule states. Even live it was obvious to me. That should have been challenged and the Knox spot should have been challenged.  No clue why the hell we didnt. Both had clear video evidence. Seems like only time we do challenge is when video isnt clear enough

Probably did not challenge because he has seen the numbers.  As of Oct 11th, coaches were 1-21 in challenges of pass interference.  He has probably also seen the tape where CLEAR interference on non-calls is not overturned.  It's a rule....but it's not really a rule.  They just don't award PI on replay.

We didn’t have that dominant win on offense but other teams haven’t really scored more than 7-8 points then we have. The last few games before us Washington’s D has been better than the start of the season too. 

The game may have looked bad at times but overall I think it was a good win. 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Great point. Daboll has good plays and a good scheme he just doesn’t know how to mix them up right to keep the opposing D guessing. I also don’t think Daboll trusts the talent yet on offense, therefore we see the gadget plays at times. My hope is as everyone becomes more familiar with their role and abilities the right plays will get called at the right time.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Hard to be a good playcaller when the players fail to execute. Damned if you call a cute play on 3rd and goal at the one, damned if you call a run up the middle and count on your players to get it done. 

the short conversion has been a problem all season on the ground  Dabol seems hellbent on using power formations tight  Maybe try running 3 and short and 4th and 1  from a spread look and give the runner gaps to find rather than trusting the O line to get a push  On the long ball to Foster, its windy and Foster at least could make an effort to track the ball and try and adjust.

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Those were both going to stand. 100%.

29 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Hard to be a good playcaller when the players fail to execute. Damned if you call a cute play on 3rd and goal at the one, damned if you call a run up the middle and count on your players to get it done. 

That's the predictable piece. Everyone gets stopped for no gain sometimes, but pounding it with the same exact play 3 times in a row? That's just dumb.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's the predictable piece. Everyone gets stopped for no gain sometimes, but pounding it with the same exact play 3 times in a row? That's just dumb.

Or the offensive line we invested about $35M into could get a single yard. That’s the execution part. If you can’t get a yard 3 times in a row, it’s the players, not the play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

We've scored a total of 16 points in the 3rd quarter which makes me wonder about halftime 'adjustments'.

Try Dorsey calling the plays in the 3rd quarter. 

McDermott can announce it as being 'part of the process'.

3rd quarters are clearly an issue.  Nobody can debate that.  It is worth pointing out that the past 2 games in a row, we've been going into heavy winds in the 3rd quarters.  Not an excuse, but perhaps something worth noting.

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Or the offensive line we invested about $35M into could get a single yard. That’s the execution part. If you can’t get a yard 3 times in a row, it’s the players, not the play.

I don’t see many OLines in 2019 getting push against an 11 man front in GIANT PEOPLE formation.

To attempt it time after time after time is mind-boggling stupid.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I don’t see many OLines in 2019 getting push against an 11 man front in GIANT PEOPLE formation.

To attempt it time after time after time is mind-boggling stupid.

“I can’t believe Daboll tried to get cute with the quick toss and lost 3!!!! Run Gore up the middle 3 times, no way we can’t get 1 yard!!!!!”

- words from a Bills alternate universe. 

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

“I can’t believe Daboll tried to get cute with the quick toss and lost 3!!!! Run Gore up the middle 3 times, no way we can’t get 1 yard!!!!!”

- words from a Bills alternate universe. 

This is a good point.  If we would've tossed it for a loss, this board would've lost it given Daboll's penchant for getting cute in ridiculous situations.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

3rd quarters are clearly an issue.  Nobody can debate that.  It is worth pointing out that the past 2 games in a row, we've been going into heavy winds in the 3rd quarters.  Not an excuse, but perhaps something worth noting.

Wind may have contributed. IMO the problem comes from Daboll being slow to adapt his playcalling to exploit new weaknesses in the opposing teams halftime scheme adjustments. He’s not recognizing it. It seems like he doesn’t adapt until he gets feedback from players and some photos... It’s an issue, and I don’t think it improves till Allen is able to correctly change plays at the line. 

16 hours ago, TH3 said:

YES....NEED TO CUT HIM LOOSE LIKE?

Minshew 309 yards ....loss

Darnold 39 passes loss

Maybe it’s all about the W ......lot of chefs here.....guy who is cooking is 6-2

Not just a loss but the Jags only scored 3 points!  The 300 yard passing game is probably the most irrelevant milestone in the NFL.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, it was a convincing win.

But it wasn't the dominant win I think we've all been waiting for. 

Weird choices on the part of the coaches today.

No challenge flag on that long 3rd down pass to Brown?

3 of the exact same play on the goal line?

Running that little shovel pass to McKenzie twice in like 10-15 plays?

Going for it on 4th and a very long 1 in easy Hauschka range where you could put the game up by 14 rather than 11?

The predictable play call on 4th and a very long 1 in easy Hauschka range where you could put the game up by 14 rather than 11 after Gore was already stuffed on 3 straight goal line plays earlier?

Bein honest... I think we have our QB... I'm not as confident we have our coaches--mainly our OC...

No challenge flag on that long 3rd down pass to Brown?

---Agree that it was PI, but based on the standard Riveron has set, there is absolutely no way they'd have overturned it. And then we'd all be screaming that McDermott is terrible with challenges (which, to be fair, he is).

3 of the exact same play on the goal line?

---I'm definitely with you here... as well as giving it to Gore on the 4th and 1, running the same exact play that they ran when it was blown dead due to a timeout called.