Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... no... you honestly need to reverse that order. :huh:

Nope. Accuracy and timing creates space. I would also say route running is about equal to those two. 

Also When have we seen Josh Allen throw a WR open? It's something good QB's always do. Throw to an open space and allow the WR to run to that open open space. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Nope. Accuracy and timing creates space. I would also say route running is about equal to those two. 

Also When have we seen Josh Allen throw a WR open? It's something good QB's always do. Throw to an open space and allow the WR to run to that open open space. 

Definitely agree with this.  If the WR doesn't have to adjust to the ball, that's ideal.

Josh has done this but just not consistently enough.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Definitely agree with this.  If the WR doesn't have to adjust to the ball, that's ideal.

Josh has done this but just not consistently enough.

While I don't disagree, the separation a WR creates has a lot to do with ball placement.  The less separation requires the ball to be placed where only the receiver can catch it which is at times not where you'd put it for maximum YAC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I agreed with this. Seperation is key.

I hate to pimp up a Pat on this board, but Edelman holds clinics on most Sundays on how to create separation.  I couldn't believe the separation he was getting in the SB last year.  Early on in the SB, I was saying Edelman deserved MP if NE won the game.  The routes and separation he was running and creating were amazing.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How many of Edelman’s YAC yards are due to his ability, vs where the ball was placed ?Tyreek Hill ? Let’s be honest, all the things you mentioned can help YAC. Play design can help too.  The biggest influence is the talent of the WR. Otherwise, WR are interchangeable, which my eyes tell me they absolutely are not. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How many of Edelman’s YAC yards are due to his ability, vs where the ball was placed ?Tyreek Hill ? Let’s be honest, all the things you mentioned can help YAC. Play design can help too.  The biggest influence is the talent of the WR. Otherwise, WR are interchangeable, which my eyes tell me they absolutely are not. 

Timing to me is really most important. Timing really incorporates both the QB and WR. Brady is almost always going to deliver the football as soon as Edleman is open. That extra half second makes a huge difference in YAC. Yes there are certain players that create YAC on their own but the majority is when you have a good route and ball delivered on time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A bit too narrow of an argument as there are a lot more factors and this seems to me to be a tired retread of trying to force a narrative that does not take in all the facts.

Allen needs to continue to work on his throws with anticipation and timing, but he has improved a lot in those areas of touch and timing. If you are objectively looking for that.

As to other factors, play design and execution for example. There have been more than a few comments by former coaches and players who break down plays where I have heard this or that receiver should have done this to run off a defender and clear space for Beasley, or Smoke...

Also, when the folks at the Athletic, or Cover 1 break down plays I often hear Allen put it in the only spot he could to keep X receiver from getting lit up. That route should have been x, or formation kept the safety too close, etc...

The consistency of those comments tells me that either play design or execution had a hand in impacting YAC on those plays, but feel free to blame Allen it is the simpler thing to do rather than dig into plays that get snuffed out to see what the Bills really need to work on.

When Allen does fail to lead a receiver and it is not a blown route and he does not have a defender in his lap, I am fine saying he threw a bad pass. It happens.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Really?  Sure these things are important for YAC but the plays that have the most potential to ring up HUGE YAC are screen passes.  Before the Redskins game the Bills had attempted 16 screen passes and gained 34 yards.  I challenge you to show me where Allen's throws IN ANY WAY negatively impacted those plays?

If you want big YAC then throw a ball behind the LOS like the Giants did and let Barkley take it for 70 YAC.  Or the screen Allen threw to Motor that gained about 45 YAC.

I maintain that YAC is most impacted by the skill players ability to make a move and/or break tackles.  Yes, putting the ball in the right place helps but is not the difference maker.

And after the individual skill player, the willingness to run screen plays well sets up all kinds of YAC.  And here the O-line is critical because the screen depends on the O-line first selling it and then blocking for it in space.

I keep hearing people talk about QB's "throwing the WR open".  Allen does this several times a game when he fits the ball into tight windows and throws before the receiver makes his cut.  And except for rare instances these plays don't generally produce much YAC.  WR's create YAC by FIRST creating separation and then by making a move or breaking a tackle. 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:18 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

YAC has more to do with accuracy and timing then anything else. I'de list them in that order, #1 accuracy, #2 timing, #3 run after catch ability. 

https://theathletic.com/1360812/2019/11/08/bills-notes-stats-and-thoughts-jarvis-landrys-past-ed-olivers-role-and-the-afc-playoff-picture/

Where’s the YAC?

The Bills are 28th in the NFL in yards after the catch. Given the added emphasis on the short passing game, the lack of yards after the catch helps explain Josh Allen’s low yardage totals this season. While Allen continues to struggle with the deep ball — he’s now 0-for-13 on passes that travel 30 yards in the air — he’s been efficient in the short passing game for much of the season. What he needs is a receiver who can create after the catch. Other than Isaiah McKenzie, the Bills don’t have that player on the roster. I’m sure Brandon Beane and his staff have been scouring the country in search of that type of receiver in the 2020 draft. The Bills need more players who can create their own big plays on offense.

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

...Also When have we seen Josh Allen throw a WR open? It's something good QB's always do. Throw to an open space and allow the WR to run to that open open space. 

This has been a major complaint of every QB we've had for the past decade+.  I imagine the back room discussions go something like this:

BILLS SCOUT:  "He has the accuracy, arm strength, & mobility, plus all the intangibles.  He also does a good job throwing his receivers open."

BILLS GM:  "Get out of my office!"

First time all season Allen's dropped below 60% Completion Percentage. Allen is much improved as a passer this year, but for him to last in this league he needs to hit some of those wide open WRs running deep. And he needs to stop fumbling the damn ball!

I don't like Daboll.

Actually, I don't particularly care for Frazier or McDermott right now either.

3rd or 4th straight week we got run all over.

Time to start trusting your Franchise QB. Put him in the shotgun and just let him run his plays from beginning of the game to the end, not just when the team "needs" to move it. Notice that when the Bills need to get yardage and get them in scoring position, he does. Really tells me we have a play calling issue for the rest of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2019 at 8:44 AM, Mango said:

I actually really like YAC as one of the metrics for how a QB is doing delivery the ball. I don’t think lack of YAC is a good defense for JA, rather an indictment. 

Current YAC leaders

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Goff

4. Rivers

5. Mahomes

The only players Josh beats are back ups, starters who have missed a bunch of time (ie Brees, Tannehill, etc)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

Didn't realize Russ and Brady were backups. Haven't missed any games either... your bias is showing lol

Edited by Luka