Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

21 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah, we have never lost in a blowout with Allen under center. Never lost a game by say 18 points where, instead of throwing for 300 yards and attempting to keep us in it, he’s thrown 10 straight incompletions. We are undefeated with Allen, I forgot.

Do you work at being obnoxious or does it come naturally?  Has anyone around here seriously said Allen doesn't have room to improve? 

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Nope. Some people have asked if 300 yard games are more important than wins, and no one has said that either.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, oldmanfan said:

So let's say he throws for 350 and 3 TDs. but the team loses.  Which of these is preferable in your eyes?

Yep.  They got their butt kicked.  They'll go back to practice, clean things up based on what McD said at his press conference.  And I expect a solid performance Sunday.

3tds and 350 yards.  This is a pass first, offensive driven league.   You cant expect your defense to play lights out every week, and when they have a bad week you lose and lise badly.   Thats not balance. 

Losses suck, but they are inevitable.  Its how you lost that matters.   10 straight incompletions and 3 fumbles is not how you want to lose. 

350 and 3tds???  Losing on a game winning drive?   Acceptable in my eyes. 

Edited by oldmanfan

Allen is becoming what his detractors said he couldn't, accurate short to intermediate.  For a year 2 Qb he is learning how to win games, and playing more efficiently.  Give me young Russell Wilson, Roethlisberger, Brady.  Play complimentary football and win.  Give me a QB with the most game winning drives vs 300 yard games.

45 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

All these good QBs seem to be able to throw for 300 in a loss except for Allen. Do you find that interesting?

Do you think there was any way possible Allen could have had 300 yards against the Redskins?  They would have had to significantly alter their gameplan to have done that.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bitchin' about for what reason?  (I know you're not talking to me)

The Ravens and Steelers also have top Ds in some categories - like PA.  Steelers #10.

The way I look at it (and I tend to look at points, because that's the bottom line)

We have 8 games left. 

3 are against opponents we already faced - Pats, Jets, Dolphins.  So if we're going to do the "predict future performance by past events" thing, that should be a wash

1 is against an opponent with similar defensive rank than we've already faced - Browns at 20 similar to Bengals at 21

That leaves 4 games against opponents ranked #4,#10,#11, and #13 where earlier in the season we had #8,#23,#26,#31.

Clearly the degree of difficulty is going to ratchet up for 3-4 of those games.  We will see if some of the learnings about not throwing stupid picks etc have truly taken hold and whether the rest of the team can rein in the dumb penalties.  But a lot depends upon factors beyond Allen's control:

-how effective a game plan Daboll can draw up to exploit the opponent

-weather

-remaining injury free at key positions where we're critically short on depth

So apparently Allen is static, has not improved and will be no match for tougher NFL defenses.  The way he plays now is how he will always play.  Sounds a little bit what some were saying last year except then he was to reckless, to many ints, not under control, not able to hit the short pass, poor accuracy and low comp.%.  

I think Bills are probably wise for reining  Josh in somewhat and if you go look at Baker and Darnold and others - its not good practice to try to force a 2nd year or inexperienced QB to try and carry the team.  Its not practical for an entire season.  I'm hoping the Bills will open up their offense more when they can.  This would be a good week to do it imo. 

I like Allen, but his pay this year has confused the heck out of me. We draft a strong mobile big-armed QB and have basically pushed him into the role of trying to be a game manager. We basically bought a Tesla and then put it in valet mode. We haven't restricted his running, but his running is less effective in getting chunk plays than it was last year and I don't like that we run him as much as we do because he fumbles the ball all the friggin time. He is a strong 4th quarter QB, but he shouldn't need to be a strong 4th quarter QB because we should have these games against the junky teams well in-hand by the end of the game.

I think the real reason we didn't make a trade at the deadline is McBeane know in a year where the rest of our opponents aren't falling apart, this is a 7-8 win team based primarily on the strength of our D, which all of a sudden can't stop the run. I'm probably guilty of getting too excited at the highs and too discouraged at the lows, but I dunno that this is a team that is capable of making a run this year and I'm starting to wonder if Josh is ever gonna put things together. I still haven't seen a complete game from him, but I suppose 20 starts isn't enough of a sample size to make a call one way or the other. Like I said, confused.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

All these good QBs seem to be able to throw for 300 in a loss except for Allen. Do you find that interesting?

No. I don't. 300 literally means nothing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If you don’t think it’s interesting that a second-year Allen is having the exact same season that second-year Trubisky had then it’s ok - move on with your life.

Yeah, I find it totally not interesting that Allen and Trubisky have similar stats in year 2 which is not an indicator of whether they would end up the same. It's just like I find it totally not interesting that Tom Brady and Christian Ponder have similar year 2 stats which confirms year2 stats isn't an indicator of QBs would end up similar.

However, I like to help people lacking this kind of logic and trying to use similar year 2 stats to stir the pot. ? And you're welcome!!

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

41 games without a 300 yard game and no big deal for every NFL QB.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

Actually show me a starting QB who is a starter who hasn't thrown for 300 in their second season?

Again Daboll & McD are the smartest people in the room?

List of QB's drafted since 1998,  who were in the NFL for at least 6 years and/or had 32+ starts over their career, and how many starts into their career it took for them to have their first 300 yard game.  Should note- that Russell Wilson's first 300 yard game came in his rookie year during the playoffs. It is not what anybody would call a good list.

Joe Flacco  2009- Week 1- Start 17 17
Jason Campbell 2007- Week 11- Start 17  17
Matt Hasselbeck  2002- Week 16- Start 17 17
Russell Wilson 2015- Divisional Round- Start 18 18
David Carr 2003- Week 6- Start 21 21
Blaine Gabbert 2012- Week 8- Start 21 21
Rex Grossman 2006- Week 15- Start 22 22
Charlie Frye 2009- Week 16- Start 20 22
Mark Sanchez 2010- Week  9- Start 23  23
Kyle Orton 2008- Week 5- Start 23 23
Tarvaris Jackson 2011- Week 4- Start 24 24
Vince Young 2007- Week 11- Start 25 25
Charlie Batch  2001-Week 5- Start 27  27
Tyrod Taylor 2016- Week 16- Start 29 29
Alex Smith 2009- Week 13- Start 36  36
David Garrard 2008- Week 12- Start 40  40

Regardless of frequency of 300 yard games, QB's who were either able to last 6 or more years in the league or start 32+ games, had their first 300 yard game on their 9th start. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen was dreadful as a rookie. I'm not going to compare Allen to Allen. If that's what you're doing you're doing it wrong.

His schedule has been cake and his numbers are bottom 10 in basically every category, just did a quick glance. Turnovers are also a huge problem.

I don't see it. I don't mind being wrong. I wanted Rosen and Darnold and I'm very happy we got Allen instead. I hope Allen turns the corner during the 2nd half of the season. There are some huge games on the schedule. Also like I said this is a talented Browns defense that hasn't played well but will IMO be a stiff test for Allen.

Allen wasn't dreadful as a rookie.  You just must not have watched him play.  He played on a team with inferior offensive talent.  Wide receivers and Tight Ends couldn't pull in contested catches.  The OL couldn't protect him.

Allen was a struggling rookie who showed some promise.

That's common among rookies who go on to be successful in the NFL.

@oldmanfan has had it right in this conversation with you.  You can't compare Allen with Lamar Jackson or other QBs across the league the way you are in an apples to apples comparison because you always factor in coaching and gameplan.

The coaching and gameplan is clearly to run things about as conservatively as possible in order to minimize potential mistakes by their young QB in order to win NOW.

Basically, they've raised the floor a lot for Allen, but they're also keeping his ceiling lower in the process.  Now, this isn't sustainable for his whole career, but you saw something similar with Big Ben early in his career in order to foster team success, while still trying to develop the young QB.

I admit, I get frustrated with Daboll and McDermott in this respect, but this is what I believe they are trying to do.

So yes, you can clearly compare Allen to last year and just see that he's significantly improved.

And that's a good thing for Bills fans.

The 300 yd game "The Two Bills Drive" standard.  Last year it was the 60% standard.  John Brown is averaging a healthy 75 yds per game as our number 1.  Beasley is averaging roughly 45, and Knox is close to 20 yds per game.  It's obvious, for Allen to get close to 300, Brown needs to have a great game.  If Brown gets 100 yds, where are the other 200 yds coming from?  If Brown gets 150 yds, where is the other 150 yds coming from?  Even on a day of expected output, Beasley should net around 7 catches for probably around 70 yds (10 yd average for what he does).  On a good day, Knox should net close to 50 yds.  That's still not 300 yds.  So for Allen to get 300 yd games, we need contribution from our RBs like we did last week and another WR not named Brown or Beasley.  Last week, with the help of Singletary, Allen had 100 yds in the first QTR.  But then we attempted on awful screen later in the game and hardly threw the ball the rest of the game.  I think both Singletary and McKenzie combined can help make up the difference.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

The 300 yd game "The Two Bill Drive" standard.  Last year it was the 60% standard.  John Brown is averaging a healthy 75 yds per game as our number 1.  Beasley is averaging roughly 45, and Knox is close to 20 yds per game.  It's obvious, for Allen to get close to 300, Brown needs to have a great game.  If Brown gets 100 yds, where are the other 200 yds coming from?  If Brown gets 150 yds, where is the other 150 yds coming from?  Even on a day of expected output, Beasley should net around 7 catches for probably around 70 yds (10 yd average for what he does).  On a good day, Knox should net close to 50 yds.  That's still not 300 yds.  So for Allen to get 300 yd games, we need contribution from our RBs like we did last week and another WR not named Brown or Beasley.  Last week, with the help of Singletary, Allen had 100 yds in the first QTR.  But then we attempted on awful screen later in the game and hardly threw the ball the rest of the game.  I think both Singletary and McKenzie combined can help make up the difference.

Mainly we're all waiting for that signature game. Basic stats don't matter too much.

For Allen to get to 300 more consistently maybe we should be losing more consistently.  

Low info Buffalo Radio caused this ignorance.  This morning was a complete joke.  And they're clearly only taking callers that agree with them.  

Instead of worrying about the games in front of us, what we can do as team to improve, we're going to talk for hours on end about "signature" wins.

The only signature win that matters is the Super Bowl.  Because once Allen is throwing for 300 yards a game, or wins a playoff game, that's where they'll be shifting the goal posts.  Right now, "need signature win" is just dog whistle for "we really just think Allen sucks but can't say it because development is actually happening and they're winning but we'll have our 'we told you so' moment!"

Edited by Big Blitz

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

20 passes a game & under 200 yards with his highest total through 19 games of 253 tells me they are not doing a good job with him.

Daboll (along with McD's coaching philosophy) is the problem imo (or so I hope).  

The Bills are 11-8 with Allen as a starting QB. 

They're doing something good with him.

And before you say that Allen doesn't factor into that record, there's only one game Allen played an entire game and threw the ball less than 20 times and that was vs. Jacksonville last year coming back from his injury and I think that's a game most would agree Allen was integral to that victory.

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And next year a much tougher schedule

As we say every year :lol:

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oh cool. Who’s leading? 

Who knows? 

There are those points in a thread where it makes a left turn at reason and ends up where this has gone. Agree to disagree and move on.

I just basically look at the magical 300 yd/game mantra as just another moving back of the goal posts folks set regarding Allen's development, and that just tells me that if the argument regarding Allen's lack of development has to regularly be amended to move the bar higher, then logically the trend of his development as an NFL QB is going in the right direction. 

I am OK with that.

• Thank you (+1) 1