The Duke Williams Bandwagon Post

ChicagoRic

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Actually yes so she's pretty uninformed...

But I think hes coming

He’s been getting a lot of work in with Josh though, so I don’t think he would be if they weren’t prepping him or at least testing how ready he is.  Also been working on ST which a reporter said was something new with him.  

So yeah, I think he’s coming this week or next personally.

None of us really know what Duke will or wont do on the field in a real NFL game.  But when the receivers behind Brown and Cole COMBINE for 10 rec, 118 yards in 4 games then the excitement of what MIGHT be with Duke is just too hard to resist.  

I have no idea how good he will be personally, but when I see him in preseason, practice, his CFL tape, etc...I cant help but see a guy who plays with tenacity and hunger...and last I checked, this team, especially the offense, seems like it could get a real boost from a spark like that if he can at least bring that to Sundays.  

Can't wait to see what he can do...good or bad, at least we will finally know.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As long as no one expects Duke to be the second coming of Anquan Boldin, expectations should be tempered. I personally just want to see a player who’s hungry for the football. Someone who has that junk yard dog in him to fight for everything thrown his way. If he can show that, I’m good. I’m not expecting a superstar, just hoping for a reliable target who can bail his QB out once in awhile. He deserves a shot to succeed or fail.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

As long as no one expects Duke to be the second coming of Anquan Boldin, expectations should be tempered. I personally just want to see a player who’s hungry for the football. Someone who has that junk yard dog in him to fight for everything thrown his way. If he can show that, I’m good. I’m not expecting a superstar, just hoping for a reliable target who can bail his QB out once in awhile. He deserves a shot to succeed or fail.

Exactly basically someone who can help Josh Allen's flaws be minimized is what we need . The kid needs his Eric molds, or plax, or Mike Williams etc 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Love McD as a coach, but this regime sometimes shows loyalty towards their players to a fault. I remember Mike Tolbert’s feature role back in 2017 being a mystery to everyone outside of the franchise. It seems like this regimes judgement is clouded by wanting to see the good in guys. Jones has no business getting playing time, and a guy like Bojorquez shouldn’t be an NFL punter at this point in his career. This is a well coached and prepared team, however player evaluation has held them back. 

I can see this.  It was my greatest flaw as a CEO.  It's not so much player evaluation as it is seeing how good they could be, and wanting to give them every opportunity.   You try your best to coach them up, and in the end, sometimes it works and sometimes they can't get out of their own way and keep making the same mistakes.   I'm all for redemption.   Who among us has never needed it?   Zay, if he hasn't already worn out their patience,  he has to be damn close.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No it is a fact, and was covered on ESPN.  You just made up off the top of your head that it isn’t true.  Maybe do some research before accusing someone of making something up?   

For example:  https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/one-staggering-stat-shows-how-important-undrafted-players-are-in-the-nfl-090516

And that was just UDFA, I said late round and UDFA players.

Second, players are on PS because there is something to the coaches are still working on with them or there isn’t a roster spot yet for them.  

Duke is on PS primarily because he had no ST experience and they kept McKenzie because no other WRs had any ST value outside of Roberts and the WR they needed HAD to be able to also play ST.  Brown and Cole will never play ST.  Zay and Foster has never played ST either.  

Additionally, Duke has to adjust to the NFL game still and work on relearning how to get off the line as the CFL is totally different.  

Just because hes on PS does not mean he isnt as good or better than someone on the active roster.  It means he may not have been ready on what they wanted to work on with him, but doesn’t mean he is a worse player.  

A.  Your article is from 2016.  There are close to 1700 players in the NFL the subset they showed wasnt close to 50% so again its your opinion you dont have actual statistics.

B.  If a player is on the PS because they still need coaching they are not as good as or as ready to play as a player on the 53.  Agree to disagree.

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

A.  Your article is from 2016.  There are close to 1700 players in the NFL the subset they showed wasnt close to 50% so again its your opinion you dont have actual statistics.

B.  If a player is on the PS because they still need coaching they are not as good as or as ready to play as a player on the 53.  Agree to disagree.

Guess you missed the part where I twice said UDFA and LOW round draft picks.  They did a whole thing this year about it on ESPN in the offseason where it was close to half the league and showing how important late draft picks and UDFA are even though the general incorrect assumption by fans is that they aren't as important.  

Just the UDFA alone listed in that article would represent nearly 30% of the NFL.  I would say thats a pretty important piece of the NFL wouldn't you?  And again in both my OP and reply I specifically stated low round picks and UDFA...not hard to imagine another 15 - 20% coming from late round picks given nearly 30% is from UDFA right?

Sorry, my original statement is fact, and not made up.  You did accuse me of blindly making it up even though you clearly had no idea if it was true or not.

As far as the PS stuff, yeah we can agree to disagree.  I stand by the fact its foolish to dismiss PS players and just blindly assume they dont have something to offer if given the chance on the active 53, maybe even more so than someone currently on the active 53.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If you watch this video of practice, you see Duke Williams looking like he is in practice with the active 53 as he is catching a deep pass from Allen ?

Bonus:  Singletary in there looking fluid too

Yeah but you also see Easley catch a pass from Allen as well. If I had to guess I’d say the QBs get reps throwing to everyone when it’s against air.

Correction, upon closer review it looks like the pass came from Barkley.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I would bring up Duke over Zay Jones and tell him "Duke this is your shot show us the best football you've ever played in your career against the Titans, we're going to start you opposite smoke and throw it your way 8-10 times in the game. If you can hold up your end of the bargain and produce you're starting again after the bye"? 

We don't need to trade for another wide out and waste Beanes prescious draft capital this guy just needs a shot, throw him some deep shots and some redzone work and see if he can change the offense and take the heat off Brown. We want to see someone with hands here he is. Watch his college highlights so I don't have to hear you whine about his running starts in the cfl and him not being able to translate to the NFL. The big thing I see in his college highlights is he caught many poorly placed slightly innacurate balls and always fought to help his qb unlike Zay Jones.  

This kids strengths align with what Allen needs in a Wr at this stage in his growth.

I'm just gonna put this here I'm quoting myself from the thread I started that was merged earlier this afternoon about what I would do if I was coach and I posted that a few hours before videos are being posted of Duke and ja in practice getting ready for Sundays game ??

Just been feeling it lately Dukes what we've been missing on the boundary and across the middle ?

Edited by BillsBlue

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Guess you missed the part where I twice said UDFA and LOW round draft picks.  They did a whole thing this year about it on ESPN in the offseason where it was close to half the league and showing how important late draft picks and UDFA are even though the general incorrect assumption by fans is that they aren't as important.  

Just the UDFA alone listed in that article would represent nearly 30% of the NFL.  I would say thats a pretty important piece of the NFL wouldn't you?  And again in both my OP and reply I specifically stated low round picks and UDFA...not hard to imagine another 15 - 20% coming from late round picks given nearly 30% is from UDFA right?

Sorry, my original statement is fact, and not made up.  You did accuse me of blindly making it up even though you clearly had no idea if it was true or not.

As far as the PS stuff, yeah we can agree to disagree.  I stand by the fact its foolish to dismiss PS players and just blindly assume they dont have something to offer if given the chance on the active 53, maybe even more so than someone currently on the active 53.

My point wasnt that ps had nothing to offer or that they werent better if given the chance.  My point was that in reality, not hypthetically, they are currently not better given the opinion of the gm and coach who employ them.  The people who see them everyday, the only people with an opinion that counts about them are keeping them on the bench.  Therefore given their current status they are not better than the players om the 53.  They are potentially better.  I also said id love for them to bring Duke up.  But they havent to date so he as of today is not more rosterable than Zay Jones

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

My point wasnt that ps had nothing to offer or that they werent better if given the chance.  My point was that in reality, not hypthetically, they are currently not better given the opinion of the gm and coach who employ them.  The people who see them everyday, the only people with an opinion that counts about them are keeping them on the bench.  Therefore given their current status they are not better than the players om the 53.  They are potentially better.  I also said id love for them to bring Duke up.  But they havent to date so he as of today is not more rosterable than Zay Jones

All good, but I would argue “not more rosterable” should be rephrased to say either “not quite ready” or “hasn’t had the opportunity” yet.  

I mean you’re kind of over looking the logistics of PS.  If they felt it was a toss up for instance between Zay and Duke (Or Foster and Duke...or McKenzie and Duke even)...they aren’t going to risk Zay through waivers who will certainly get claimed after being a recent 2nd round pick and having some production.  I mean Zay and Foster in preseason had trade value too, so they would trade one before cutting one.

0% chance Zay or Foster could have been snuck through waivers and put on PS.  And even if they did, they would have other teams still offering them active 53 spots after clearing waivers.  Duke had a much better chance sneaking through waivers given he didn’t get a lot of snaps until late in preseason and had no NFL resume really yet.  McKenzie was less a sure thing to get claimed, but they also kept him because they badly needed ST help from the WR position as Cole and Brown weren’t going to play ST and Zay and Foster had never played ST.  So McKenzie had an edge over Duke in terms of ST contributions.    

PS is also something GMs manage strategically.  So all I’ve been saying it’s not always so cut and dry as you put it.  

Either way, we agree it would be good to see if he has anything to offer more than the trio of Zay, Foster, and McKenzie have thus far.

GoBills