Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

1. A QB with a 65% completion ratio 'misses' 35% of the time?

2. What QB doesn't throw "picks"?  

3. He's a young QB and he makes mistakes?

4. He had a horrible game yet the Bills were in it until the end?

5. It's ugly to watch some times, but the guy will bleed for you and I stand with JA. 

I say...#5.  Wait, all of the above. All of the above. In spite of the challenges, I've had more fun watching the Bills play these last dozen or so games than I have had in years.  

'I've had more fun watching the Bills play these last dozen or so games than I have had in years. '

I would agree with that. That's why I want the guy to be good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

*ATTENTION ALL 'LETS BE PATIENT WITH ALLEN FANS'*

If he has another meltdown against the Titans, throws picks, misses receivers what are you going to say then?

We all expect him to play like he did against the jets, giants right? Or do we expect him to be better yet?

The Titans have a stout D and game film from the Pats to guide them.

I would expect them to try to confuse and bemuse Allen like the Pats**** did.

Then it's on Daboll and Allen

Does Daboll adjust his playcalling to force the D to react instead of telegraphing our intent each play and letting the D force us to be reactive to their presnap movements?  Does he put our best personnel in the best position to make plays for each down and distance?  (he did neither of these until late in the Pats game.  IMO). 

Does Allen keep his cool and take what the D offers him?  Does he respond to the Blitz by getting it out quickly, as he was clearly being drilled to do in practice?  Does he do a better job of deciding when the play is over and he should throw it away?

What were you expecting from Allen, by the way?  He's a young QB, he came in known to have not played the best competition and to have short/intermediate accuracy issues (which to his credit he has worked on hard).  We knew, or should know, that he was a development project and would take time.

So if Allen has a meltdown against the Titans, what are YOU going to say?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

image.thumb.png.6863a02eca235a9cfaca489604473434.png

Step 5 - Full Football Activity / Clearance

Upon clearance by the team Physician for full football activity involving contact, the player must be examined by the independent Neurological Consultant (INC) assigned to his club.  If the INC concurs with the team physician that the player's concussion has resolved, he may participate in his club's next practice or game.

I'm not sure how Landry was cleared, based on the chart above.   Without practicing, he somehow met the requirements of Football Specific Activities and Full Football Activity.  I need someone smarter than me to figure this out.

The last line explains it. Can participate in the club's next practice or game

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Titans have a stout D and game film from the Pats to guide them.

I would expect them to try to confuse and bemuse Allen like the Pats**** did.

Then it's on Daboll and Allen

Does Daboll adjust his playcalling to force the D to react instead of telegraphing our intent each play and letting the D force us to be reactive to their presnap movements?  Does he put our best personnel in the best position to make plays for each down and distance?  (he did neither of these until late in the Pats game.  IMO). 

Does Allen keep his cool and take what the D offers him?  Does he respond to the Blitz by getting it out quickly, as he was clearly being drilled to do in practice?  Does he do a better job of deciding when the play is over and he should throw it away?

What were you expecting from Allen, by the way?  He's a young QB, he came in known to have not played the best competition and to have short/intermediate accuracy issues (which to his credit he has worked on hard).  We knew, or should know, that he was a development project and would take time.

So if Allen has a meltdown against the Titans, what are YOU going to say?

If he has a melt against the Titans I'm going to be FURTHER concerned that he's not the guy we all want as the franchise.

What I would SAY would be to still air the concerns that I've seen. 

I have seen good things but also issues.

Like I said earlier to the same question, for me..

It depends how many good things he does.

If he makes mistakes but leads a game winning TD drive then I feel to myself that this guy has IT.

There has to be continued potential.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry but the OC is doing a bad job when on a big 3rd and 7 goes empty backfield then lines up DiMarco and Gore out wide as the ONLY receivers on the entire left side of the field.  No other actual receivers over there...no Yeldon who is by far the best receiving back...no TE on that side...but DiMarco and Gore.

Here is what I dont understand with your post here.  Why does criticizing Daboll somehow translate to you as if it was meant to excuse Allens mistakes?  You realize its possible in a team sport that more than one person can be making mistakes or not having their best game too right?

Not once did I say Allens mistakes were all because of Daboll.  However, I will say that Daboll called a poor game and was late on making the adjustments needed to help the offense find more rhythm.

For me...Josh's biggest flaw is simple...He is highly competitive and he trusts his overall athleticism too much to the point he tries too hard to make/extend plays when its not there.  It can lead to an ill advised throw using awful mechanics like the back foot throw and also to terrible sacks because he thinks he can keep avoiding and still get a ball off like when he cost us field position that cost us 2 FG's.  

Josh controls that aspect of his mistakes 100%, and he gets to own and improve on that.  But Daboll also is responsible for creating the game plan and maximizing the strengths of his personnel to put them all in the best position for success out there.  And Daboll (who I still like overall) has had his own mistakes (and respect to Daboll for acknowledging this too), and the first half was easily Daboll's worst this year so far.

I like Daboll too, and I think he is good at creating schematic mismatches, but there are times I think that he is a bit blind to the skills of the pieces he moves around the chess board.

Gore on a stretch play is not as effective as Gore off-tackle whether or not the other team is expecting Gore to run a stretch play.

It is those kinds of plays where you will often find that even many experienced NFL players and ex-coaches will make the off comment that the Bill's OC Daboll "got a bit too cute" on this or that play. It happens, folks notice it from time to time, and although a valid critique, it does not take away from the larger body of work that Daboll has done to try to transform this Bills offense. 

Over time as we improve the skills in a few areas, or just get the right guys healthy again, I think a lot more of his plays will click. That being said, better tailoring his plays to the skills of the players he is able to field that day should be something he always prioritizes.

Edited by WideNine

14 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

He was most likely doing light work on the sidelines during team practices.

Hell he could have gone to the teams nutritionist and that would have likely counted as a "position related activity" since they work for the team. 

Edited by The Wiz

18 minutes ago, london_bills said:

If he has a melt against the Titans I'm going to be FURTHER concerned that he's not the guy we all want as the franchise.

What I would SAY would be to still air the concerns that I've seen. 

I have seen good things but also issues.

Like I said earlier to the same question, for me..

It depends how many good things he does.

If he makes mistakes but leads a game winning TD drive then I feel to myself that this guy has IT.

There has to be continued potential.

What’s good, gents? What’s good? It occurs to YE OLE that this may be a huge overreaction to Josh’s performance on Sunday. There’s also a huge overreaction to Brady looking old and washed up as many have stated. Brady in the 3 weeks prior was averaging over 300 yards a game and had 7 TDS/0 INTS. At the end of the day, both Brady and Allen were chewed up and spit out by defensive units that are giving up nothing.

We’ll never know, but as many have speculated, it looked like Allen was getting ready to pull a rabbit out of his hat in the 4th quarter per usual. In all honesty, YE OLE can’t even side with the school of thought that he needs to slide there. That play happened in the 4th quarter of a game where no points were being scored. He had a 3rd and 8 and we had some momentum heading into Patriots* territory. As much as it sucks, that’s probably the situation where you want him to have the green light to get to the sticks by all means necessary. 

Now, the underlying trend to take away from this is we outgained the Patriots* 375-224, had twice as many first downs (they had something like nine three and outs???), won T.O.P. Now YE OLE understands that the scoreboard is the bottom line, but this game read like a script from how we could have a chance to beat the Patriots* ... get a bunch of turnovers, block a punt and return it for a TD, injury to the starting QB, etc. Except it’s the Patriots* who needed all of those things to barely hang on, despite getting outgained by a wide margin, doubled up on first downs, etc. YE OLE mentioned this after week 1 against the Jets. For us to even be in these games after all of the turnovers and odd safety/punt block/missed fg’s etc. means we are the dominant team outside of those disruptive events. While everyone is preoccupied talking about Allen looking lost and throwing picks (and that does need to end)... this team is looking more like a 12 win team as opposed to an 8 or 9 win team trying to luck into a wildcard.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, london_bills said:

It depends how many good things he does.

There has to be continued potential.

So, in other words, if he doesn't get hurt against NE and they punch it in from inside the 5 instead of getting stopped on 4th down, then you'd feel differently?

No offense: that doesn't make much sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

So, in other words, if he doesn't get hurt against NE and they punch it in from inside the 5 instead of getting stopped on 4th down, then you'd feel differently?

No offense: that doesn't make much sense.

I was talking about the titans game.

Let's say yes to your question, how does it not make sense? He's still making up for his mistakes by putting points on the board.

Im predominantly talking about the titans game, if Allen makes mistakes, throws picks but then rectifies it with promise, leading a game winning drive for example, then I will offset the bad with the good.

This is all within the context of me being unsure that Allen's good enough. I need to see plays and drives that show he's good enough.

Edited by london_bills

38 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I like Daboll too, and I think he is good at creating schematic mismatches, but there are times I think that he is a bit blind to the skills of the pieces he moves around the chess board.

You're very kind.  It took several games last year (and I suspect McDermott may have had to have a sit-down) for Daboll to begin to perceive and adjust to the things his players simply could not do.  I feel at times Daboll gets a lot too cute instead of figuring out what his guys do well, and having them Do That Thing.

Hopefully it's part of his learning and development as an OC and he'll settle in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're very kind.  It took several games last year (and I suspect McDermott may have had to have a sit-down) for Daboll to begin to perceive and adjust to the things his players simply could not do.  I feel at times Daboll gets a lot too cute instead of figuring out what his guys do well, and having them Do That Thing.

Hopefully it's part of his learning and development as an OC and he'll settle in.

In other words, it's about his scheme and not the players.  I echo the sentiment of your last sentence.

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What is the drop dead time for Allen to be cleared? Can we still not know Sunday morning?

Inactives for game are due 11:30 am game day.  The Bills have a 4pm deadline Saturday if they want to replace Connor McDermott on the 53 man roster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Inactives for game are due 11:30 am game day.  The Bills have a 4pm deadline Saturday if they want to replace Connor McDermott on the 53 man roster.

Yeah I know the time for the inactives. He doesn’t have to be clear though before that? There’s no time limit for when you can no longer be clear?