Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, dous21 said:

If Allen plays Titans will blitz all day long

and our oline has been tragic against the Blitz, and so has Allen. If Dabboll doesn't improve his playcalling we aren't winning this game. So far he hasn't shown anything to me that he knows how to develop a young QB correctly. He is calling the offense like he has Brady or Brees back there. Allen is not that type of QB. If it wasn't for our defense Dabboll would have got flamed for his abysmal play calling vs the Jets 

I hope they do blitz last time he played them he led us to victory with his legs when they did. 

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I feel like you would get more by having him up all week getting ready. But I’m not sure what the rules are for the practice squad. Are they sitting in on the meetings? And going through game plans?

I believe so. They practice with the team.

24 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

The final stage of the protocol is regular practice activity, followed by an assessment.  Josh will be assessed tomorrow for concussion symptoms, following today's activities.  If he has no concussion symptoms, then he will be cleared to play.

Yet Jarvis Landry was cleared today and he had not practiced all week. 

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

I hope they do blitz last time he played them he led us to victory with his legs when they did. 

Sounds like a good game plan for a QB just coming off a concussion

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2nd half:

Allen = TD (only one surrendered by Pats D) and we were on the move a second time before he got hurt.  Josh is amongst the leaders in the NFL in 4th quarter rating and seems to always be stronger in the 2nd half.

Barkley = Turnovers on Downs, missed critical completions on poor throws, and a game ending INT.

Not saying Allen was crushing it in the 2nd half...but bottom line is once Daboll started getting Knox and Yeldon involved in the 2nd half, things overall got better for the offense compared to the first half where Daboll was trying to throw for 3rd down completions while using DiMarco and Gore out wide as the only receivers on the left side.  A half where he continuously called a lot of deep routes rather than focus on giving Allen more options underneath to help get him in a rhythm sooner.

I like Barkley, really happy he is our backup and I have confidence in him.  But his second half mistakes were as costly as anyone else's that game.

I thought this too. I genuinely though that the tide had turned and that JA had started to settle in. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I get that...but what if he gets his head smashed in 3 weeks from now?  I think if he is cleared, he's cleared.  I guess that is what all the debate is about.  If a player is cleared, they are cleared.  I don't think it matters, if the symptoms are gone and a player is cleared, if that player waits 1 or 3 weeks to play.

I haven’t read the debate.  Just dropped off my thoughts.

we watched our reckless, head first diving franchise qb get KO’d 7 days ago.  Concussion protocol doesn’t mean much to me. Considering we have a bye following this week, I’d sit him.  You disagree.  Fine by me

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

CuK-CgMWIAAkatm.jpg

As a happy Gilmore fan this is a winner. 

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Sounds like a good game plan for a QB just coming off a concussion

Not saying it's the gameplan.  But unlike the Pat's he will have room to run if needed.  Scrambling against the blitz isn't a gameplan. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

we watched our reckless, head first diving franchise qb get KO’d 7 days ago.  Concussion protocol doesn’t mean much to me. Considering we have a bye following this week, I’d sit him.  You disagree.  Fine by me

No need to be salty.  I didn't say you were aware of the debate.  I was speaking to the larger audience since all of these interactions are read by the forum.  The "if he's cleared he should still sit" debate has been raging for days which is why I referenced it.  Agree to disagree.  Whatevs

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We started out the game with those same kind of plays on the first couple of drives, but Josh badly missed on short passes to guys wide open.  Maybe he connects on a few of those and it's a different story?

Did Daboll call the play for Josh to hold on to the ball and then hop off his back foot and lob it into the air resulting in an easy pick?  Was Daboll yelling at Josh to use his head because he was calling bad plays?

I WILL criticize Daboll however for not giving Gore a couple carries on that last drive.  Very well could have broken one.

Sorry but the OC is doing a bad job when on a big 3rd and 7 goes empty backfield then lines up DiMarco and Gore out wide as the ONLY receivers on the entire left side of the field.  No other actual receivers over there...no Yeldon who is by far the best receiving back...no TE on that side...but DiMarco and Gore.

Here is what I dont understand with your post here.  Why does criticizing Daboll somehow translate to you as if it was meant to excuse Allens mistakes?  You realize its possible in a team sport that more than one person can be making mistakes or not having their best game too right?

Not once did I say Allens mistakes were all because of Daboll.  However, I will say that Daboll called a poor game and was late on making the adjustments needed to help the offense find more rhythm.

For me...Josh's biggest flaw is simple...He is highly competitive and he trusts his overall athleticism too much to the point he tries too hard to make/extend plays when its not there.  It can lead to an ill advised throw using awful mechanics like the back foot throw and also to terrible sacks because he thinks he can keep avoiding and still get a ball off like when he cost us field position that cost us 2 FG's.  

Josh controls that aspect of his mistakes 100%, and he gets to own and improve on that.  But Daboll also is responsible for creating the game plan and maximizing the strengths of his personnel to put them all in the best position for success out there.  And Daboll (who I still like overall) has had his own mistakes (and respect to Daboll for acknowledging this too), and the first half was easily Daboll's worst this year so far.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yet Jarvis Landry was cleared today and he had not practiced all week. 

image.thumb.png.6863a02eca235a9cfaca489604473434.png

Step 5 - Full Football Activity / Clearance

Upon clearance by the team Physician for full football activity involving contact, the player must be examined by the independent Neurological Consultant (INC) assigned to his club.  If the INC concurs with the team physician that the player's concussion has resolved, he may participate in his club's next practice or game.

I'm not sure how Landry was cleared, based on the chart above.   Without practicing, he somehow met the requirements of Football Specific Activities and Full Football Activity.  I need someone smarter than me to figure this out.

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just hope he learns from this and always plays with a healthy respect for potential injury. No more hurdles? Check! No more trying to bull for the extra yard? Check!  SLIDE

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just hope he learns from this and always plays with a healthy respect for potential injury. No more hurdles? Check! No more trying to bull for the extra yard? Check!  SLIDE

i think he will. most of the time one must learn by doing.

*ATTENTION ALL 'LETS BE PATIENT WITH ALLEN FANS'*

If he has another meltdown against the Titans, throws picks, misses receivers what are you going to say then?

We all expect him to play like he did against the jets, giants right? Or do we expect him to be better yet?

Edited by london_bills

Just now, london_bills said:

If he has another meltdown against the Titans, throws picks, misses receivers what are you going to say then?

We all expect him to play like he did against the jets, giants right? Better?

i'm going to say that he needs more experience. pretty much every qb in the league has more, considering his college team and competition. now what are YOU going to say???!??!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

No need to be salty.  I didn't say you were aware of the debate.  I was speaking to the larger audience since all of these interactions are read by the forum.  The "if he's cleared he should still sit" debate has been raging for days which is why I referenced it.  Agree to disagree.  Whatevs

Not salty in the least.  I just replied to your entire post and not bits and pieces of it

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think we have all seen and agree that Yes Josh needs to not only be willing to slide (even if short of the first down as what occurred last week) but also have the mind set that he does NOT need to heave the hero pass all the time. I would consider it growth and lessons learned if Josh would do the cliché "take what the defense gives him" in other words go through his progressions and take the check down, take the short pass and slants, dump the ball off to his TE's and RB's and WR's to get yards after the catch...more set up the long ball then depend on a steady diet of it....I think he'll get there I think his brain will catch up with his heart basically...I trust the guys smarts as well as his athleticism..Noone doubts his heart that Ive read thank goodness he just needs the game manager mindset more often. JMO.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

i'm going to say that he needs more experience. pretty much every qb in the league has more, considering his college team and competition. now what are YOU going to say???!??!

It depends how many good things he does.

If he makes mistakes but leads a game winning TD drive then I feel to myself that this guy has IT.

There has to be continued potential.

Edited by london_bills

48 minutes ago, london_bills said:

We all expect him to play like he did against the jets, giants right? Or do we expect him to be better yet?

1. A QB with a 65% completion ratio 'misses' 35% of the time?

2. What QB doesn't throw "picks"?  

3. He's a young QB and he makes mistakes?

4. He had a horrible game yet the Bills were in it until the end?

5. It's ugly to watch some times, but the guy will bleed for you and I stand with JA. 

I say...#5.  Wait, all of the above. All of the above. In spite of the challenges, I've had more fun watching the Bills play these last dozen or so games than I have had in years.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2