Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting - Jarvis Landry has been in the protocol too since Sunday and wasn’t at practice at all this week. Cleared from protocol today and will be at practice. He doesn’t play until Monday though.

There's no value in hiding whether Landry can play or not.  The prep is similar.  In fact if I was the corner assigned to cover him I'm going to be more nervous knowing he is playing!

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stage 6 of concussion protocol: after being cleared by an independent neurologist, must be cleared by the majority of TBD posters determined via a poll. Sure, the actual medical tests have already been done. But the all important “eye test” remains of fans who watched the broadcast of the hit and have opinions.  I hope mcBeane is aware. Clock is ticking.

The ‘I’m not a doctor or a neurologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn’. You get your TBD diploma that way. 

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Hell, even when he's healthy as a horse I hold my breath every time he runs!

I think it very poor decision making by this team to use him as a runner the way they do. Allowing him to scramble is one thing but the designed run is why he is in concussion protocol and this is why we don't like it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I’d like them to clear Allen to play and start Barkley anyway. 

Indeed. Even if he's cleared, put him as #2. There's the bye week coming up after, and unless Barkley is hurt or really stinks up the place., let Josh heal fully. Let's think long term here.

Just now, ddaryl said:

I think it very poor decision making by this team to use him as a runner the way they do. Allowing him to scramble is one thing but the designed run is why he is in concussion protocol and this is why we don't like it.

I don't like the designed runs in the middle either. I don't recall calls like that last year? But his TD run sweep was good, and if IIRC, he was hurt scrambling on his own, not a designed run?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stage 6 of concussion protocol: after being cleared by an independent neurologist, must be cleared by the majority of TBD posters determined via a poll. Sure, the actual medical tests have already been done. But the all important “eye test” remains of fans who watched the broadcast of the hit and have opinions.  I hope mcBeane is aware. Clock is ticking.

In stage seven Josh will be able to time travel like in that move Lucy. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Indeed. Even if he's cleared, put him as #2. There's the bye week coming up after, and unless Barkley is hurt or really stinks up the place., let Josh heal fully. Let's think long term here.

I don't like the designed runs in the middle either. I don't recall calls like that last year? But his TD run sweep was good, and if IIRC, he was hurt scrambling on his own, not a designed run?

This is a bizarre take. You play your best otherwise healthy players, period. If he’s cleared as healthy he plays. Same for Singletary or anyone else.

31 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

What good is the right read if you can't get the ball there?

That 4th Q situation is precisely where you don't want Barkley in the game, because that's where the vast majority of his mistakes come (ignoring of course hitting Zay in the hands for a TD)

The point, again is that there's a good probability the Bills' offense operates better in the first 3 Qs under him, that there's no need for hero-ball in 4Q.

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I agree there is a time to use it but they are over using it, and the concussion is the result.

13 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I’d like them to clear Allen to play and start Barkley anyway. 

why?

8 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

if Barkley stinks up the place, we lose and miss the playoffs by one game.....

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Especially if he's your "franchise QB" (whatever that is) you don't want to risk injury for him and have to depend on Barkley like we did Sunday.  A lot of QBs come into the league thinking they are going to revolutionize the QB position by running AND passing.  Roger Staubach, Donovan McNabb, and Randall Cunningham immediately come to mind.  After getting creamed a few times they re think that and become pocket passers and have greater success.

I hope Josh follows this path and we see him run leas and pass better.  But I agree. The designed runs to our franchise is our running around getting hit by big guys trying to put him out of the game. He's already been injured twice running the football.

I can only think of one who said screw it I'm gonna run anyway nd that was Michael Vick.

8 minutes ago, GG said:

That 4th Q situation is precisely where you don't want Barkley in the game, because that's where the vast majority of his mistakes come (ignoring of course hitting Zay in the hands for a TD)

The point, again is that there's a good probability the Bills' offense operates better in the first 3 Qs under him, that there's no need for hero-ball in 4Q.

The Cheats** were also blitzing the pants off of him.  That didn't help.

1 hour ago, GG said:

I don't know how anyone who watched last Sunday's game did not see that Barkley was in better control of the offense?  You can argue that his arm strength limitation led to the critical short-hop incompletions to Beasley and Zay, but his throws were always to the correct targets, which is not something that you can say about Allen's game at this point.   Allen's best drive occurred when he could still rely on the running game or throw to the underneath RB.   Those plays were gone from Barkley's stints because the RB needed to stay home to block, yet he still found the open receiver.

I don't know how much more evidence you need to see that Barkley was in better control of the plays as they were called?

I would counter and say that I dont know how anyone watched last Sundays game and did not see how the offense was playing better overall in the 2nd half when Daboll finally pulled his head out of his a**.  Daboll was terrible in the first half.

Lets not forget, once Daboll FINALLY started getting Yeldon and Knox involved in the passing game, we drove the field with Allen and put up the only TD on the Pats this year.  Lets not forget, we were driving again when Allen was knocked out of the game.  Lets not forget Barkley failed on 3 critical passes that all could have helped us win the game because he made very poor throws.  

Bottom line...I really like Barkely as our backup, he is certainly capable IMO.  But nothing I have seen from him makes me believe he gives us the better chance to win on any given Sunday.  Complicating it further is we have a dinged up OL that is already been inconsistent as they all try and learn to play together (and to be expected really with 4 new starters including a rookie).  Allen's ability to extend plays and escape pressure has been substantially impactful in all of our games this year.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

The Cheats** were also blitzing the pants off of him.  That didn't help.

And I think this will be the mold other teams follow until Josh is hitting his hot reads and burning them for it. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2