Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Yes, I'm assuming he was grade 3. No, just because his legs were moving post hit that does not mean wasn't unconscious either prior or during.

So now we're back to the discussion of whether it's appropriate or smart to play your concussed QB seven days after the incident (regardless of passing tests from NFL paid doctors), and whether there's any additional benefit to waiting until three weeks (i.e. after the bye). I'm suggesting there's likely both a medical benefit, however minor that might be, and developmental benefit by allowing Josh to watch Matt for a week and gain another perspective. Feels like we're going around in circles here.  

Regardless of passing the tests......

Then why have the tests then if the results aren't going to matter to you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't know how anyone who watched last Sunday's game did not see that Barkley was in better control of the offense?  You can argue that his arm strength limitation led to the critical short-hop incompletions to Beasley and Zay, but his throws were always to the correct targets, which is not something that you can say about Allen's game at this point.   Allen's best drive occurred when he could still rely on the running game or throw to the underneath RB.   Those plays were gone from Barkley's stints because the RB needed to stay home to block, yet he still found the open receiver.

I don't know how much more evidence you need to see that Barkley was in better control of the plays as they were called?

Few years ago Barkley was rumoured to be the No1 pick in the draft, definitely top ten. I think he stayed in college and dropped as a result.

Barkley doesn't look as good as Allen and that plays in some.

Here's my take on the people who don't want Josh to play even if he clears protocol:

You are the same ones who didn't want Josh to start another game last season after Barkley lit up the Jets.

Depending on your age either you, your father or your grandfather:

Wanted Frank Reich to continue as the starter after Kelly was deemed healthy enough to play

Wanted Marangi to start over Ferguson (at least until you saw Marangi play himself out of the NFL) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I don't think this is a complex situation at all.

Allen is the starter, Barkley is the backup. If Allen is cleared, he starts. If not, Barkley the backup is in.

Simple.

No more "learning from the bench". Allen starts unless McBeane decide he's not the franchise guy in which case he won't see the field again. That decision won't be until the end of next year at the earliest unless he has several Peterman level performances in a row and even then they might ride it out. 

Personally I think the best thing for Allen after his horrific first half last week is to get right back in there. It's up to Daboll to develop a game plan that both gives us a chance to win the game and at the same time gets Allen out of the gates hot. To me that means start with short easy throws and running the ball. 3 step drops, slants, swing passes, shallow crosses. Beat it in to Allens head that if his reads aren't there quickly in the progression, chuck it away immediately or run and SLIDE every time. The only deep shots I'd do early are play action passes where if the first read isn't there, dump it quickly to a short relief valve. 

Get Allen his confidence early and the longer developing plays will come later.

Couldnt agree more :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's my take on the people who don't want Josh to play even if he clears protocol:

You are the same ones who didn't want Josh to start another game last season after Barkley lit up the Jets.

Depending on your age either you, your father or your grandfather:

Wanted Frank Reich to continue as the starter after Kelly was deemed healthy enough to play

Wanted Marangi to start over Ferguson (at least until you saw Marangi play himself out of the NFL) 

That pretty much sums up some Bills fans.

And how could you not include Rob Johnson, who's first half vs. Tennessee may have been the worst half in history for the Bills & still some people still debate that was the right decision......

33 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't know how anyone who watched last Sunday's game did not see that Barkley was in better control of the offense?  You can argue that his arm strength limitation led to the critical short-hop incompletions to Beasley and Zay, but his throws were always to the correct targets, which is not something that you can say about Allen's game at this point.   Allen's best drive occurred when he could still rely on the running game or throw to the underneath RB.   Those plays were gone from Barkley's stints because the RB needed to stay home to block, yet he still found the open receiver.

I don't know how much more evidence you need to see that Barkley was in better control of the plays as they were called?

What good is the right read if you can't get the ball there?

Riddle me this... and this is directed at those who are well-versed on the concussion protocol rules.

But what are the advantages to getting him "out of the protocol" earlier in the week? Here's where I'm going with this......

What happens if he fails the final test with the INC? Does he have to kick back to stage 2? Or does he stay in stage 4 and try again tomorrow? If the team doctors feel fairly confident that he's good to go, and it's, say Thursday, why rush the test with the INC? Why not give him the extra day or 2 to ENSURE that he passes that test? Especially if failing the test with the INC on Thursday sets him further back in the timeline of getting back on the field? You also have the (i don't know how much) tactical advantage of "sorry, can't give you media people any updates because he's still in the protocol" whereas if he clears it on Thursday, then the Titans have 2 extra days to prepare solely for one guy versus at least having to split their time preparing for both. 

What I'm getting at is they very well may know that he's going to be cleared (the fact that he was performing in individual drills on Tuesday) but are just dragging out that final test until the latest possible moment.

Hopefully someone on this board knows more about the protocol and can clear this up.

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Regardless of passing the tests......

Then why have the tests then if the results aren't going to matter to you?

My personal view is that if you get knocked out or have your bell rung in a car wreck type of hit you shouldn't play the next week (at least). I get that isn't very scientific but the optics of rushing a player through protocol so he can play next game just isn't great, to say nothing of what's best for the player. 

To answer your question, the results absolutely matter. I'm not suggesting that the whole process is corrupt -- it's certainly better than it used to be. It's possible that Josh would truly be 100% once he's through protocol. I just don't believe that doctors, even neurologists, know for sure when it comes to head injuries. That opinion is based at least in part from a discussion I had with a local neurologist (former client of mine). 

Look, it was a really big hit. I just don't want to see Josh come back too soon, get tagged again, and be out for extended time. I feel like that's a reasonable concern given the way he plays, and I'd be hard pressed to believe that he wouldn't benefit from 3x the recovery length. Anyways, I've said all I can on this subject.  

Stage 6 of concussion protocol: after being cleared by an independent neurologist, must be cleared by the majority of TBD posters determined via a poll. Sure, the actual medical tests have already been done. But the all important “eye test” remains of fans who watched the broadcast of the hit and have opinions.  I hope mcBeane is aware. Clock is ticking.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Stage 6 of concussion protocol: after being cleared by an independent neurologist, must be cleared by the majority of TBD posters determined via a poll. I hope mcBeane is aware. Clock is ticking.

we should hold off and really confuse the Titans

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I would agree with this for the most part.  I think there are some of us who think Allen may sit, but only if the coaching staff is being ultra-conservative for his safety.  I am hoping Allen is 100% healthy and that he plays.  I will, as I have said before, be holding my breath if he should run, that one of Vrabel's (Belichick deciple) defenders doesn't opt for another head shot to knock Allen out of the game again.  

Hell, even when he's healthy as a horse I hold my breath every time he runs!

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

My personal view is that if you get knocked out or have your bell rung in a car wreck type of hit you shouldn't play the next week (at least). I get that isn't very scientific but the optics of rushing a player through protocol so he can play next game just isn't great, to say nothing of what's best for the player. 

To answer your question, the results absolutely matter. I'm not suggesting that the whole process is corrupt -- it's certainly better than it used to be. It's possible that Josh would truly be 100% once he's through protocol. I just don't believe that doctors, even neurologists, know for sure when it comes to head injuries. That opinion is based at least in part from a discussion I had with a local neurologist (former client of mine). 

Look, it was a really big hit. I just don't want to see Josh come back too soon, get tagged again, and be out for extended time. I feel like that's a reasonable concern given the way he plays, and I'd be hard pressed to believe that he wouldn't benefit from 3x the recovery length. Anyways, I've said all I can on this subject.  

Tasker said on One Bills Live today...coming from a players perspective...that in the past, they used to rush players back too soon after they were concussed, and he said that if you brought them back too soon you risked them being concussed again.  In other words, the more time that passed the better.  He said that players would appear to be okay, but they weren't right inside (brain).  He then went on to say that today, with the testing done, if the neurologist clears you, then it is safe for the player to play.   

So...now the question is...has Josh seen the neurologist  and not passed stage 5, or has he not yet seen the neurologist for that final stage.  I think we all hope for the latter.

• Like (+1) 1