Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Are you saying that you think Bill Belichick ordered a hit on Allen to take him out of the game?

No.  I’m responding to people who think we should sit Allen because, apparently, every team is going to try to concuss him. 

I do think they were told to light him up if he runs.  Just so happens he got hit like he did. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No.  I’m responding to people who think we should sit Allen because, apparently, every team is going to try to concuss him. 

I do think they were told to light him up if he runs.  Just so happens he got hit like he did. 

every DB who ever played would gladly hit him like that if given the chance

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If he gets cleared to play less than a week after laying on the turf unconscious, exhibiting post-traumatic leg tremors then I highly question what these doctors are doing/saying. The difference between getting hit again one week after vs. three weeks after could very likely be the difference between sustaining a second concussion or not.    

Where did you see leg tremors?

And with all of the emphasis put on concussions by the NFL, you're doubting the doctors?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If he gets cleared to play less than a week after laying on the turf unconscious, exhibiting post-traumatic leg tremors then I highly question what these doctors are doing/saying. The difference between getting hit again one week after vs. three weeks after could very likely be the difference between sustaining a second concussion or not.    

Image result for blah blah blah gif

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think people here aren't considering our QB long term health, but let's get real here - if you're truly considering a guy's overall long term health above everything else, he probably shouldn't be playing American football. 

I suspect this is probably the logic football people used for decades when it came to head injuries. I disagree that just because football is a violent sport we shouldn't be doing everything possible to ensure players are fully recovered from head injuries before returning to the field, and if "everything possible" includes letting QBs play within a week of being knocked unconscious then I think we need to re-visit the definition.  

Edited by VW82

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ok, so say we sit him to be super safe... what’s to stop Flores, another B.B. disciple, from having a Dolphins defender do that?  

If hes cleared, he’s cleared.   No difference between Sunday and two Sundays from now. 

I'm no expert, but I would think the farther out you are from a concussion, time wise, the less impactful even the slightest hit would be because you're body/brain has had greater time to heal.  There would also be the mental aspect on the part of the player.  The hope is Josh won't put himself in harm's way.    I do understand where you're coming from with respect to it can happen 3 weeks from now or two months from now.  And I also agree that if he's cleared, he should play.

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

So your knowledge on neurology is at the same level as Neurologists?

Just now, jkeerie said:

I'm no expert, but I would think the farther out you are from a concussion, time wise, the less impactful even the slightest hit would be because you're body/brain has had greater time to heal.  There would also be the mental aspect on the part of the player.  The hope is Josh won't put himself in harm's way.    I do understand where you're coming from with respect to it can happen 3 weeks from now or two months from now.  And I also agree that if he's cleared, he should play.

You can't be greater than 100%.  If his brain is 100% ready to go, that means with extra time, it wouldn't matter because it's already healed.  

The NFL is sensitive in particular with this issue....if they're not completely cleared...they're not playing.  

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Where did you see leg tremors?

And with all of the emphasis put on concussions by the NFL, you're doubting the doctors?

Yes I am. Given the history with the NFL and concussions, and really sports medicine and the inherent conflicts of interest in general, I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical. As for the leg tremors, and whether they were involuntary or not, it's hard to say. I'm not a doctor. Josh's legs flapping around immediately after the hit didn't look good.

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I suspect this is probably the logic football people used for decades when it came to head injuries. I disagree that just because football is a violent sport we shouldn't be doing everything possible to ensure players are fully recovered from head injuries before returning to the field, and if "everything possible" includes letting QBs play within a week of being knocked unconscious then I think we need to re-visit the definition.  

Since you said "we", you let Neurologists know what you feel the definition should be.

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I didn't say we should sit him.  What I said is that if the coaches decide to sit him (operative word "may"), this would likely be part of their rationale....a second hit this close to the first could cause a second concussion. 

Just now, VW82 said:

Yes I am. Given the history with the NFL and concussions, and really sports medicine and the inherent conflicts of interest in general, I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical. As for the leg tremors, and whether they were involuntary or not, it's hard to say. I'm not a doctor. Josh's legs flapping around immediately after the hit didn't look good.

You've admitted you're not a doctor but you're telling a doctor they aren't doing their job very well.

Dude...those aren't leg tremors.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You've admitted you're not a doctor but you're telling a doctor they aren't doing their job very well.

Dude...those aren't leg tremors.  

I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. First of all I'm not saying anything yet. We don't know whether Josh will be cleared. But yes, if he gets cleared and plays Sunday I'd have some questions. And yes, I'm not saying anything for certain because I don't know but I can't imagine it'd be helpful to get hit again so soon after being knocked out like that. Just my opinion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

It would help if you didn't move the goalposts if you want to have a reasonable discussion. 

I'm moving the goal posts?  You say "The topic is how well did Barkley perform on a bad Bears team, not whether the Bears won or lost the games, because then we'd have to compare the defenses "  Do you think the Bears defense threw Barkley's 10 INTs in those 3 - >300 yd games with the Bears that you reference?  Do you think that throwing 2, 3 or 5 INTs in a game has no bearing on whether or not the team lost, especially a team with a poor D that can't get the stop after a turnover?

Look, GG.  Don't paint this as quibbling about statistics.  Your contention is (here, I'll quote you): "Why do you wash away Barkley putting up 41 points last year, or having multiple 300 yard games with a craptastic Bears team, as if they're anomalies?  Allen's physical gifts come in handy when he needs to manufacture a heroic 4Q comeback.  With Barkley, the hope is that he doesn't make the boneheaded mistakes that we've seen Allen make in the first 3Qs that the comeback isn't needed. "

It's entirely appropriate to point out that those 3 - 300 yd games also involved 10 INTs, and that (since INTs tend to contribute to a loss, especially with poor D), the team lost - presumably in significant part because of Barkley's INTs.  It's entirely appropriate to point out that every QB has good and bad games and it's not appropriate to hone in on that 41 point performance against the Jets (which as I recall, involved 2 Jets INTs resulting in Bills points) while ignoring the rest of Barkley's professional work. 

To say that Barkley won't make boneheaded mistakes (ie INTs) therefore comebacks won't be needed when you're looking at a backup QB who has a significant track record of throwing INTs, is to cherish a worldview with a stunning blind spot.  No, Barkley won't make the same boneheaded mistakes Allen makes, but he does make mistakes.

Just now, GG said:

So getting back to the point, nobody is calling for Barkley to supplant Allen as the QB of this team.  By the same token, it's perfectly reasonable to see that Barkley understands the offensive plan that Daboll has drawn up better than Allen at this point.  Barkley didn't have the same mental breakdowns when he was in, even though Pats* were totally teeing off on him on every down, when there was no threat of the running game.   Barkley moved the ball on two drives under worse circumstances, while Allen was only able to do it on one drive.

I can't even.

Here:

image.png.6707a065ce0778fc9665b2db1a7a2bb1.png

The 3rd quarter 9 play "turnover on downs" was the drive where Allen was injured.  3 plays before the "no play" injury, so Barkley had 6 plays ending in an incompletion - plus an incompletion cancelled by penalty and a "delay of game" penalty.  So somehow Barkley's 6 plays ending in a turnover on downs and another 6 play drive ending in an INT show that he could move the ball better, and the two drives where Allen moved the team within FG range (for a hit and a miss) don't count?

Just now, GG said:

It's not a crusade to start the backup, it's an acknowledgement that the backup isn't still learning the position, and there's a good probability that this particular offense would perform better with him under center.

I won't say you're crusading to start the backup, but you appear to have a couple large blindspots when you calculate your "good probability that this particular offense would perform better with (Barkley) under center".  I'm not sure how you're calculating that "good probability that this offense would perform better with Barkley" but it seems a little selective from here.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So your knowledge on neurology is at the same level as Neurologists?

You can't be greater than 100%.  If his brain is 100% ready to go, that means with extra time, it wouldn't matter because it's already healed.  

The NFL is sensitive in particular with this issue....if they're not completely cleared...they're not playing.  

I would agree with this, but when it comes to the human body/brain, can anyone really say 100% following a trauma?  But yes...I do agree...that if he's cleared by the neurologists, they are telling the coaches, it is safe for Josh to play.  Josh just needs to take better care of himself on the field and learn from this episode.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. First of all I'm not saying anything yet. We don't know whether Josh will be cleared. But yes, if he gets cleared and plays Sunday I'd have some questions. And yes, I'm not saying anything for certain because I don't know but I can't imagine it'd be helpful to get hit again so soon after being knocked out like that. Just my opinion.

Do you mean "I can't see the forest through the trees?"

Yes you are saying something.  You're saying you'll have questions if he gets cleared to play.

The Doctor who is evaluating him is an expert in this field.  He will perform the tests.  They will perform scans if they have to.  They will do all the steps in the protocol.

You aren't evaluating him, you don't have your Doctorate in Medicine or performed any tests.  Yet you will have questions on an assessment that you didn't perform or know how to perform? Then come up with a conclusion it's better for him to sit another week?

• Like (+1) 1

The arguements for and against seem valid. From a physical standpoint its understandable you wouldnt want to rush your (hopefully) franchise qb back and put him at risk. From a mental and confidence standpoint I dont know if allowing that last performance to fester until after the bye is the best thing either.. Tough call but I'm in the "if cleared, play him" camp. Hopefully he can stay upright, make some plays, get a win, and put that last performance in the rear view ASAP. 

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you mean "I can't see the forest through the trees?"

Yes you are saying something.  You're saying you'll have questions if he gets cleared to play.

The Doctor who is evaluating him is an expert in this field.  He will perform the tests.  They will perform scans if they have to.  They will do all the steps in the protocol.

You aren't evaluating him, you don't have your Doctorate in Medicine or performed any tests.  Yet you will have questions on an assessment that you didn't perform or know how to perform? Then come up with a conclusion it's better for him to sit another week?

I will admit you have a point. Take last week for example. My employer paid for me to see a doctor to see if it was ok to return to work. We chatted for two mins then he signed the slip. Then he somehow managed to sew my hand to my face. I was going to complain but then I remembered I'm not a doctor so I shouldn't have opinions on such things. 

Edit: RE that expression I believe both forms are deemed acceptable. 

Edited by VW82