Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting - Jarvis Landry has been in the protocol too since Sunday and wasn’t at practice at all this week. Cleared from protocol today and will be at practice. He doesn’t play until Monday though.

Damn it man!  That’s twice this week you’ve done this to me.  

Maybe I should be like everyone else and just start my own thread about this 

4 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

he is playing in the game

and McD is playing with the Titans prep plans

You just said he is playing. You don't think the Titans expect Allen to play?

Edited by nucci

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I also disagree Allen should sit out to "teach him some kind of lesson", but Allen was absolutely concussed, by "optics" - how the play looked on film.  It looked as though he went limp, he lost consciousness, fencer's reflex with his hands - he absolutely had a concussion.  Ability to jog down the tunnel is not diagnostic for lack of concussion.

This makes it sound like fans want him to have a timeout in the corner. Who's saying this exactly? To clarify -- in case this was directed at me -- I think there might be a hidden opportunity for development by allowing Allen sit and watch Barkley for a week. He's been learning by doing for two straight months. There's more than one way to learn. Hard to argue that there was anything but dramatic improvement after sitting out and getting to watch a different perspective last year. 

More importantly, Allen got knocked the F out. I'm low key surprised that more people on here aren't putting our QB's long-term health above everything else. Isn't that more important than one NFL game, albeit one against a legitimate threat for wild card? I'd argue yes. Ask Kevin Durant and the Warriors whether they'd like a re-do. Just because Josh might clear concussion protocol that doesn't mean he's 100% healed. It means he passed the tests. A little conservatism here might be beneficial in more ways than one.    

Edit: RE your post about Barkley and the Bears, I agree. But in this one game and against this specific opponent, I think there's a credible argument that Barkley is just as good of an option. Over the course of a season and for our future, Josh is obviously the answer (unless/until he proves otherwise). Anyone who watched that Titans v Browns game to start the year knows we need someone who gets the ball out quickly this week. Food for thought.   

Edited by VW82

6 minutes ago, VW82 said:

This makes it sound like fans want him to have a timeout in the corner. Who's saying this exactly?

Several have expressed the opinion.  You could search, if it truly interests you. 

6 minutes ago, VW82 said:

To clarify -- in case this was directed at me -- I think there might be a hidden opportunity for development by allowing Allen sit and watch Barkley for a week. He's been learning by doing for two straight months. There's more than one way to learn. Hard to argue that there was anything but dramatic improvement after sitting out and getting to watch a different perspective last year. 

The distinction between "sit out to teach him some kind of lesson" and "sit and watch Barkley for a week...more than one way to learn" is too subtle for me.

I don't think people here aren't considering our QB long term health, but let's get real here - if you're truly considering a guy's overall long term health above everything else, he probably shouldn't be playing American football.  What people here are saying, and do believe, is that if a guy is cleared from concussion protocol by a team physician and an independent neurologist, he's cleared and can play.  I'm not sure Durant, who had missed 9 games with a strained calf, is a good analogy.

Last year was last year, this year is this year.  What was helpful last year may not be helpful this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You know the ole saying about putting lipstick on a pig...

Allen isn't an idiot.

Maybe you have to take out the part about being honest that he sucked on Sunday -- lol that a little harsh -- but putting the kid's long-term health first isn't a pig move, it's the right move.

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't wash away Barkley putting up 41 points against a bad Jets team last year, but when a guy has a multi-game body of work (Allen or Barkley) one shouldn't focus on one game or one aspect of those games.  You have an example of that latter last year: you mention Barkley having "multiple 300 yard games with a craptastic Bears team.  You fail to mention the fact that in Barkley's 3 - >300 yd games with the Bears, he also threw 10 interceptions (2, 3, and 5) and they lost each of those games.  So why do those games lead you to hope that "he doesn't make the boneheaded mistakes that we've seen Allen make (so that) the comeback isn't needed?"  He won't make the same boneheaded mistakes we've seen Allen make, he's better at reading Ds and getting the ball out quickly at this point in his career, but those aren't everything.  His physical limitations mean he'll make different mistakes with the same result.

One shouldn't dismiss Barkley's good game against the Jets, but neither can one wholly focus on it while dismissing the rest of Barkley's playing career.  There's a reason he's overall an under-60% completion guy with 10 career TDs and 19 career INTs.  I hope Barkley has honed his craft since 2016, but the fact is against a very strong NE D if you project what he did vs the Pats out to a full game, he too would have racked up a buttload of turnovers.

When the starter on a team struggles, the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town with some fans, but perception is not reality.

It would help if you didn't move the goalposts if you want to have a reasonable discussion.  The topic is how well did Barkley perform on a bad Bears team, not whether the Bears won or lost the games, because then we'd have to compare the defenses.  Do you want to go down that road?   If you want to quibble about statistics that you highlighted, Barkley's sub 60% completion is actually 59.61%, and if you focus on games started, his completion is 62.3%.   He's also averaged 20.5 points scored in his Bears games, which goes up a bit if you include his Bills' start.

So getting back to the point, nobody is calling for Barkley to supplant Allen as the QB of this team.  By the same token, it's perfectly reasonable to see that Barkley understands the offensive plan that Daboll has drawn up better than Allen at this point.  Barkley didn't have the same mental breakdowns when he was in, even though Pats* were totally teeing off on him on every down, when there was no threat of the running game.   Barkley moved the ball on two drives under worse circumstances, while Allen was only able to do it on one drive.

It's not a crusade to start the backup, it's an acknowledgement that the backup isn't still learning the position, and there's a good probability that this particular offense would perform better with him under center.

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As others have noted it's pretty straight forward:

*  if Allen is cleared he plays.  It gives the best chance to win the game AND it helps us in the LONG RUN as every game Allen plays in makes him a better QB going forward.

*  If Allen isn't cleared we go with Barkley who is more then capable of leading us to victory against TN.

As an aside I have the same sense that others have noted that there is a small group of Bills fans who want Allen to sit so Barkley can shine and be the guy going forward.  This is NUTS IMO.  If Barkley plays and throws 5 TD passes it doesn't change a thing.  Allen starts against Miami.  If you want another 5 years of 7 - 9 to 9 - 7 seasons collapsing to 4 - 12 when the D runs out of gas hope that Barkley is better then Allen. 

If Allen isn't the guy, and I think he is, we're back to square one at QB.  Barkley isn't the guy no matter how well he plays Sunday if called upon.

I would agree with this for the most part.  I think there are some of us who think Allen may sit, but only if the coaching staff is being ultra-conservative for his safety.  I am hoping Allen is 100% healthy and that he plays.  I will, as I have said before, be holding my breath if he should run, that one of Vrabel's (Belichick deciple) defenders doesn't opt for another head shot to knock Allen out of the game again.  

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Maybe you have to take out the part about being honest that he sucked on Sunday -- lol that a little harsh -- but putting the kid's long-term health first isn't a pig move, it's the right move.

If he clears protocol, then he's safe to play.

It's not like, in two weeks, doctors will say, "Okay ... now he REALLY clears protocol."

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jkeerie said:

I would agree with this for the most part.  I think there are some of us who think Allen may sit, but only if the coaching staff is being ultra-conservative for his safety.  I am hoping Allen is 100% healthy and that he plays.  I will, as I have said before, be holding my breath if he should run, that one of Vrabel's (Belichick deciple) defenders doesn't opt for another head shot to knock Allen out of the game again.  

Ok, so say we sit him to be super safe... what’s to stop Flores, another B.B. disciple, from having a Dolphins defender do that?  

If hes cleared, he’s cleared.   No difference between Sunday and two Sundays from now. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ok, so say we sit him to be super safe... what’s to stop Flores, another B.B. disciple, from having a Dolphins defender do that?  

If hes cleared, he’s cleared.   No difference between Sunday and two Sundays from now. 

Are you saying that you think Bill Belichick ordered a hit on Allen to take him out of the game?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

It's not like, in two weeks, doctors will say, "Okay ... now he REALLY clears protocol."

If he gets cleared to play less than a week after laying on the turf unconscious, exhibiting post-traumatic leg tremors then I highly question what these doctors are doing/saying. The difference between getting hit again one week after vs. three weeks after could very likely be the difference between sustaining a second concussion or not.    

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

you mean another hit to the head may knock him back into health?

image.png.bab624230eaccad17d254ee25282cd27.png