Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

How do we know he's been tested today?

I wonder myself how often he is tested. I bet it is at least once a day, but I wonder if it is multiple times a day.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

The report this morning was he was the first quarterback taking snaps and going through plays as Barkley stood with hands in pockets.

Real snaps or Sears poncho snaps?   

The media get booted after warm ups, so what they 'see' is only of the optics the Bills want to show...

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The report this morning was he was the first quarterback taking snaps and going through plays as Barkley stood with hands in pockets.

And when they do teamwork nobody is there to see and report. So Josh could be participating in teamwork. QB's always have the red non-contact jersey anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

In my opinion the Bills absolutely know who their starting QB is going to be on Sunday. No matter what the scenario, it makes sense to keep him in the protocol. 

Allen and Barkley couldn't be more opposite in terms of how they play, so why not keep Tennessee guessing. 

I wouldn't expect to know for sure until Saturday at 4PM. If Webb hasn't been promoted from the PS, then Allen is fine. 

However, I would even say there's a chance that if the Bills plan to play Allen Sunday, they still promote Webb on Saturday. Why not keep the Titans guessing?

it would probably be tricky to determine who to send down, but I think this could be a spot where you see one of our 10 OL go bye bye. 

My thoughts, too.

McDermott making them waste time by prepping for two different QBs.

20 minutes ago, USCGBILLSFAN said:

Thank you for the information, i was frustrated and it bothers me when people like that offer nothing to the discussion, win lose or draw its about fun, but NE fans will be NE fans and sometimes they just dig under my skin.

Mods don't see every post on every thread, even a thread we're actively posting in believe it or not, so if we miss something, helps to report it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Real snaps or Sears poncho snaps?   

The media get booted after warm ups, so what they 'see' is only of the optics the Bills want to show...

Ginger snaps.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

To be clear, that was still in drills, not going through the actual game plan practice.  The media is not allowed to observe that part, for obvious reasons.

Edited by jkeerie

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

The answer to your crusade about Josh not playing will be answered soon enough. Get some Franks Hot Sauce for your crow!

It's not a crusade, it's an opinion.   I'll gladly say I was wrong if that is indeed the case.

But I wouldn't expect a flamethrower like you to get that...0:)

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can anyone confirm if the decision on in or out of protocol is the team, the league, or independent? I thought it was independent neurologist e v a l and based on symptoms and cognitive tests compared to baseline 

Josh needs to be cleared by an independent neurologist.  It is not a team decision...to protect the player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The timing's a little different timing on Flacco.   If he got cleared the following Wednesday, it means he got to go through both days of game plan installation.     

We don't know for sure if that has been the case with Josh, however.    Only that he tossed the ball and jumped around a lot...

Right and we knew as much about Joe as we know about Josh at this point. They both have gone through practices being in concussion protocol. At the time we had no idea if Joe was involved in the game installation or not. Same rules apply to Baltimore media members and watching installation. They didn’t know. And then he was cleared.

The only real difference is Baltimore was very open and confident about Joe playing. McD is playing it smarter and not saying a word either way.

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure why you would say that definitively. We do not know if he took the final tests yet, plus the real worry is that he regressed from yesterday, and that does not at all appear to be the case as he is practicing. Plus he took all the first team reps in the first walk through this morning.

I think you are right on it Kelly,  he did take all the snaps and the PROTOCOL by definition means he has to have done or survived a normal practice ( which is everything but contact I would  think for a QB, for a non QB contact would be the last step of the protocol ) and then NOT HAVE  any recurrent symptoms tomorrow. I think by definition if wed was stage 4 , todays practice would be stage 5 . I believe by definition he has to take the computerized IMPACT  testing tomorrow to be sure his reaction times , memory , impulse control , etc all have returned to baseline and remain at his baseline 24 hours after last full practice to fulfill the final step of the protocol.  So I think by definition he could really only FULLY clear the protocol by as early as tomorrow so today’s announcement I believe still fits with normal progression and no one can say he definitely out yet.   Initially this protocol was set up to be a minimum of 24 hours per stage , however that has been modified for adults allowing faster progression. I think he is following an early course and I bet he will clear it tomorrow only based on the fact that he got all the reps and the focus wasn’t on getting Barkley ready. I don’t believe they have Barkley Standing around like has been reported , without activating the other QB additionally, unless they are almost certain that Josh will be  cleared. If for some reason he is not cleared by tomorrow, I don’t see how they could avoid letting Barkley get the lions share of reps. To me tomorrow is the telltale day. 
if I may, for all those guys ( not you Kelly ) posting that he probably wasn’t concussed or “ was barely “ concussed , you are missing the point. It doesn’t matter how he looks to untrained people on a video. The computerized testing picks up on memory and coordination and reaction times and then compares them to HIS baseline normals.  He would not be in the protocol if he had all normal tests to begin with; there is no debate he had a concussion. This as stated is taken control of by outside independent neurologists so there is no way the team puts him in it ( esp since they have no control over the situation once he is in it ) to just protect him or to be cautious etc.  By definition the whole process/ protocol is out of team control. To say he was “ never really concussed “, or this was for “ optics “ is laughable and shows how little some people still misunderstand concussions and why independent people are needed to protect the safety of players. How would you like someone with that type of understanding making a decision about the future brain health of your son or fiancé if you are in Allen’s camp ?  Thank goodness we are beyond that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

At the time we had no idea if Joe was involved in the game installation or not. 

Wednesday and Thursday are installation days.   If Joe was cleared on a Wednesday, he didn't miss the installation practices.

The BIG question we have is, did Josh...

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

Of course the Bills know who is starting but I think the advantage for us vs Titans not knowing is overrated. Regardless of how different they, the offense will still be the same

I would disagree with that. 

The plays may be the same, but the Qbs have tendencies. With Allen, specifically, you would need your DLineman to be more aware of rushing lanes and bailout points on the edges, where with Barkley you could just have them rush. 

Barkley gets rid of the ball quicker. Allen can turn any play into a schoolyard freelance. 

Allen forces defenders to defend things that most Qbs don't. So keeping this under wraps is smart.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, hemma said:

My thoughts, too.

McDermott making them waste time by prepping for two different QBs.

The Titans look at film of the Bills offense...how they line up...what plays they run from what formations....do you really think this gives the Bills a huge advantage? You either run the ball or throw....how difficult is this?