Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So the Bills should make Allen sit because of a bad game? Terrible idea. Allen has to know the ups and downs of the position. I think it was a great lesson for him to learn that his mistakes cost the Bills points in close game that they lost. It was a winnable game. Until the Pats game Allen was able to overcome his mistakes and pull out a win. Being on the losing side maybe he sees the consiquences on his actions. He also has to learn to put it behind him and move on to the next game. Would you still be saying the same thing if Allen wasnt knocked out of the game and was able to pull out a win? No because all his mistakes wouldnt be so glaring if he pulled out a win against the Pats. 

I suspect there are a lot of times in the NFL where the best thing to do is sit a guy out for a week, especially a young player, and have him work on his weaknesses and watch someone else do it to provide a different perspective. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen because of the politics of the game. I think this concussion provides a unique opportunity to do that with Allen. 

Also, just because he gets cleared doesn't mean he wouldn't be less susceptible to getting another concussion if he sat out until Miami. Like most injuries, you have a better chance of avoiding a repeat occurrence the longer you wait to test it again. 

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I suspect there are a lot of times in the NFL where the best thing to do is sit a guy out for a week, especially a young player, and have him work on his weaknesses and watch someone else do it to provide a different perspective. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen because of the politics of the game. I think this concussion provides a unique opportunity to do that with Allen. 

Also, just because he gets cleared doesn't mean he wouldn't be less susceptible to getting another concussion if he sat out until Miami. Like most injuries, you have a better chance of avoiding a repeat occurrence the longer you wait to test it again. 

Learn by doing.

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is, he was never "really" concussed, they just put him through the protocol for optics.  I totally disagree with posters saying he should sit out this week to teach him some kind of lesson.  It's not just all about Josh Allen, there's 52 other dudes plus coaching staff plus the rest of the organization who want the best chance to win on Sunday.

1 minute ago, wiskibreth said:

My guess is, he was never "really" concussed, they just put him through the protocol for optics.  I totally disagree with posters saying he should sit out this week to teach him some kind of lesson.  It's not just all about Josh Allen, there's 52 other dudes plus coaching staff plus the rest of the organization who want the best chance to win on Sunday.

No matter how good the Bills D is, it is not going to carry them.

They need Allen to become the player they need him to be so they can be successful.

He had a bad game against NE, it happens. He isn't going to learn from it sitting on the bench. If he is healthy he needs to be out there. Period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wiskibreth said:

You're probably not far off.  I think he likely showed some very minor signs and therefore it was the prudent thing to do given the safety environment in the NFL these days.

You'd dead on with the rest of the post.  Allen is the present and future of the team.  One bad outing against a Belichick defense doesn't mean you bench him to prove a point.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

No matter how good the Bills D is, it is not going to carry them.

They need Allen to become the player they need him to be so they can be successful.

He had a bad game against NE, it happens. He isn't going to learn from it sitting on the bench. If he is healthy he needs to be out there. Period.

So you agree then...  ?

6 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

I am curious about this as well. It happened at a pretty critical point in the game, 4th quarter, the hit looked violent..but the way he ran off the field he looked as if he was coming back in. I am sure it was really so precautionary that possibly the only option is to put him in protocol..it's not something the medical staff possibly could rush him back on the field at that point. 

14 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I am curious about this as well. It happened at a pretty critical point in the game, 4th quarter, the hit looked violent..but the way he ran off the field he looked as if he was coming back in. I am sure it was really so precautionary that possibly the only option is to put him in protocol..it's not something the medical staff possibly could rush him back on the field at that point. 

Pretty sure concussion protocol is out of the hands of the team. He took a head shot, exhibited some kind of symptom or symptoms, and went right into concussion protocol.

"In addition to the team medical staff and an unaffiliated neurological consultant, the league employs two medical spotters in the booth who watch the game with binoculars and video replay to identify injuries that others missed. The league added a rule in 2015 allowing for the medical spotters to stop the game with a medical timeout to remove an injured player.

"Observable symptoms"

There are seven observable symptoms used to identify players with concussions. Those are:

• Any loss of consciousness
  • Slow to get up following a hit to the head ("hit to the head" may include secondary contact with the playing surface)
  • Motor coordination/balance problems (stumbles, trips/falls, slow/labored movement)
  • Blank or vacant look
  • Disorientation (e.g., unsure of where he is on the field or location of bench)
  • Clutching of head after contact
  • Visible facial injury in combination with any of the above

When spotters or other medical personnel see those signs, that’s when the protocol goes into effect."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/9/18/12940926/nfl-concussion-protocol-explained

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t think there is any room for discretion or “ optics” with the concussion protocol, and the team doctor is not the one calling the shots. Its an independent Neurologist. If you show symptoms ( ie fail the test) you are in the protocol. Each injury is unique and there are varying degrees but once you fail the test the only differentiating factor between injuries is the length of time it takes for the player to clear the protocol. Allen showed symptoms, however slight and he failed. He appears to be recovering  quickly. If this was the 1990s, judging from his actions afterward , he gets an ammonia cap on the sidelines and returns to the game. For obvious reasons those days are over.  Edit : Allen hasn’t yet cleared the protocol. I’d venture if he clears it and practices tomorrow he plays. otherwise it’s Barkley. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think there is any room for discretion or “ optics” with the concussion protocol, and the team doctor is not the one calling the shots. Its an independent Neurologist. If you show symptoms ( ie fail the test) you are in the protocol. Each injury is unique and there are varying degrees but once you fail the test the only differentiating factor between injuries is the length of time it takes for the player to clear the protocol. Allen showed symptoms, however slight and he failed. He appears to be recovering  quickly. If this was the 1990s, judging from his actions afterward , he gets an ammonia cap on the sidelines and returns to the game. For obvious reasons those days are over.  Edit : Allen hasn’t yet cleared the protocol. I’d venture if he clears it and practices tomorrow he plays. otherwise it’s Barkley. 

Yep. Plus McDermott has said more than once that if you are in the lineup you are expected to play. I don't think there is much if any chance that he is cleared and he does not start and play the entire game unless hurt in some way. If the neurologist clears him he is going to go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So from McDermott's patience in making the call on Webb it seems he is confident Allen will be ready to go, imo. Maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked on the field when it originally happened? 

• Like (+1) 1

We shouldn't rule out the possibility, if Allen is cleared, that Barkley would start and Allen would only be the emergency QB. That way, they don't have to call Webb up from the practice squad and, thus, lose a roster spot elsewhere. 

Of course, this would only make sense if Barkley has gotten the lion's share of practice reps with the 1's this week. If Allen has gotten just as many snaps as Barkley (or more), no sense in not starting him if he clears protocol.

SOOOOO,

is there any chance that given how allen played early, they figured he mighta been able to come back in the game but thought maybe sit him even tho he'd play in say a playoff game or something?

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well, that's that.    No way Allen starts Sunday, although he might serve as the backup...

Not sure why you would say that definitively. We do not know if he took the final tests yet, plus the real worry is that he regressed from yesterday, and that does not at all appear to be the case as he is practicing. Plus he took all the first team reps in the first walk through this morning.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

We shouldn't rule out the possibility, if Allen is cleared, that Barkley would start and Allen would only be the emergency QB. 

If Allen was in protocol for both the Wednesday and Thursday practices, I can't see how he's be given comparable snaps to Barkley.     

If he gets cleared later today or Friday, I could see him serving as Barkley's backup, however.