Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh's ability to play will hinge purely on whether he clears protocol or not.

If you try playing that game you're talking about because of his confidence and poor play last week, I would argue it has the opposite effect.

He's a competitor. If he's healthy and kept off the field, that's more of a shot to his confidence FOR SURE than him MAAAAAAAYBE playing poorly.

It all depends how the message is delivered. McD is eminently capable of putting a positive spin on it; something along the lines of, "Great job on getting through the protocol so quickly. You're one tough MFer! Brian and I talked it over with Terry and Kim and we've decided to play it safe on this one and go with Matt this week. That was one hell of shot you took. You're the future of this team and we want to be 100% sure we're not jeopardizing that. Plus, if we're being honest that was a rough performance Sunday. There are some things we want you to work on with Brian over the bye -- footwork, reads -- so we come back strong vs. Miami. You're doing great, just keep working." 

If Josh can't handle an explanation like that and loses his confidence over it then perhaps we've all misjudged him. I think it's easier to get over the idea that you're being held back than going out there and failing before you're ready.   

Edited by VW82
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

It all depends how the message is delivered. McD is eminently capable of putting a positive spin on it; something along the lines of, "Great job on getting through the protocol so quickly. You're one tough MFer! Brian and I talked it over with Terry and Kim and we've decided to play it safe on this one and go with Matt this week. That was one hell of shot you took. You're the future of this team and we want to be 100% sure we're not jeopardizing that. Plus, if we're being honest that was a rough performance Sunday. There are some things we want you to work on with Brian over the bye -- footwork, reads -- so we come back strong vs. Miami. You're doing great, just keep working." 

If Josh can't handle an explanation like that and loses his confidence over it then perhaps we've all misjudged him. I think it's easier to get over the idea that you're being held back than going out there and failing before you're ready.   

You’re either in the protocol or out of it. Allen won’t be any more or less out of the protocol after the bye week if he’s out of it now. He’s the QB and has to work through the ups and downs. This is a big game in the AFC WC picture , so I don’t think McD or the organization will think about this situation like you are. If he’s the QB of the team, he plays when he’s cleared. 

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, VW82 said:

So, bench him for having a bad game, but make it sound like it’s out of concern for his health while making sure to sound as condescending as possible. Got it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If Allen passes protocol, he will start on Sunday.

End of story.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Once ? So for you, Allen must never get tackled in the open field after a run again ? He has done the slide this season already, so it’s not like he never does it. Injury was unfortunate, but he’ll likely limit the hits over time. Of course , Newton still takes hits and what year is he in now? Anyway, the Bills don’t have to make a decision on Allen until after his 3rd season. Lots of time yet for the big picture to play out. 

He's being given the benefit of the doubt at the moment with INTS and FUMBLES, SACKS, DEEP BALL etc which is right..

I think he should be given a certain freedom to develop with this stuff. INTS don't bother me so much.

Where I do think he needs to CHANGE is running head first for a first down. TOO MUCH of a risk.

Also, you talk of cam Newton. Look how f***** he is now.

Edited by london_bills

6 minutes ago, london_bills said:

He's being given the benefit of the doubt at the moment with INTS and FUMBLES, SACKS, DEEP BALL etc which is right..

I think he should be given a certain freedom to develop with this stuff. INTS don't bother me so much.

Where I do think he needs to CHANGE is running head first for a first down. TOO MUCH of a risk.

Depends on the position of the defenders around him, but sure I can see that. You can be vulnerable to a cheap shot even when sliding; like Flacco was. It’s a fine line and Allen was pretty upright when he was being wrapped up initially. Seemed like he braced himself when he saw the headhunter coming at him and lowered his head instinctively . I’d guess that play will be fresh in his memory for awhile. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Depends on the position of the defenders around him, but sure I can see that. You can be vulnerable to a cheap shot even when sliding; like Flacco was. It’s a fine line and Allen was pretty upright when he was being wrapped up initially. Seemed like he braced himself when he saw the headhunter coming at him and lowered his head instinctively . I’d guess that play will be fresh in his memory for awhile. 

Lots of defenders will want to injure Allen in the heat of battle, let's not be naive about it. Already seen the jets guys cheap shot, burfickt, the patriots guy. Subjective to how dirty these hits are. When I think of Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Manning when he played, Brees, Mahomes. They all slide.

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

Lots of defenders will want to injure Allen in the heat of battle, let's not be naive about it. Already seen the jets guys cheap shot, burfickt, the patriots guy. Subjective to how dirty these hits are. When I think of Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Manning when he played, Brees, Mahomes. They all slide.

You don't even need to slide.. just get down like WR's do. Dive at the feet of the defender about to hit you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, VW82 said:

So the Bills should make Allen sit because of a bad game? Terrible idea. Allen has to know the ups and downs of the position. I think it was a great lesson for him to learn that his mistakes cost the Bills points in close game that they lost. It was a winnable game. Until the Pats game Allen was able to overcome his mistakes and pull out a win. Being on the losing side maybe he sees the consiquences on his actions. He also has to learn to put it behind him and move on to the next game. Would you still be saying the same thing if Allen wasnt knocked out of the game and was able to pull out a win? No because all his mistakes wouldnt be so glaring if he pulled out a win against the Pats. 

• Like (+1) 2