Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Webb has NOT  been activated from the practice squad. If they suspected Allen wouldn't be available, I assume they would have brought him up already. 

Not sure if Allen starts, but safe to speculate McD and friends are expecting him to suit up.

He technically would just need to be activated by 4pm Saturday. Of course, they will probably fly out earlier that day for Nashville so it would need to be sooner.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:27 PM, MDH said:

He looked like he was knocked unconscious. I would be shocked if he wasn’t out until after the bye.

My opinion, if he plays Sunday, then they're rushing him back. 

Josh is a young man.  Maybe that helps him see the field sooner, but that was a nasty hit he took.

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Daboll needs to make Knox a bigger part of the game plan. Every game.

Yes!

2 hours ago, Augie said:

With the bye coming the following week, I can see the appeal of playing it very safe, but if he’s cleared I’m sure he’ll go.

These things are hard to gauge, and I obviously have no idea what will happen. I know a lot of players are not 100% truthful so they can “help the team”. I’d suggest Josh sliding a little more would really “help the team” long term more than getting decapitated trying to get that last yard. I’d rather he slide after 6 on 3rd and 8 than take those hits. There’s always 4th and 2 (and we were in that territory), PLUS the rest of the season! 

I agree. He needs to slide 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We all know you'd love for Allen to sit for another week so you can push your "Allen sucks, Barkley should start!" narrative all the way through the bye week.

But sorry, if he's cleared, he starts.  Honestly if he wasn't involved with meetings or anything today, I would have been more inclined to want Barkley to start just because of the missed practices for a young, still raw QB like Allen.

But looks like he's back, so let him start.

The Patriots are the #1 D in the NFL right now.  The Bills are close behind.  Yes, the Patriots made Allen look awful.  But don't forget that the Bills D made Brady look pretty bad, too.

Moving on...

Huh?? I don’t want Barkley to be the long-term starter. He’s a career back up at best. Like I said, there are multiple benefits to giving Josh the week off considering both his performance to start the year and the brutal shot to the head. There are also  drawbacks to throwing him back out there too soon.

Seriously what is with you guys and putting words in other people’s mouths!? Maybe stick to worrying about your own opinions because you obviously have no ability to decipher anyone else’s.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Huh?? I don’t want Barkley to be the long-term starter. He’s a career back up at best. Like I said, there are multiple benefits to giving Josh the week off considering both his performance to start the year and the brutal shot to the head. There are also  drawbacks to throwing him back out there too soon.

Seriously what is with you guys and putting words in other people’s mouths!? Maybe stick to worrying about your own opinions because you obviously have no ability to decipher anyone else’s.

So you're saying everyone else is wrong and you are right.  Got it. :)

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The PS guys practice with the team. They are not restricted in running plays or whatever. They don't need to activate him until later in the week if they don't want to and it would make no difference. I think Allen is playing, and they won't activate Webb, although it's surely possible. 

...Good point...

I'll hang up and listen ??

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....why not Knox AND Sweeney?.....how did Belichick with Gronk and Hernandez work out?......not too bad if I remember correctly......

my thoughts as well.

chip and get open for one of them and the other justrunlikehell up a seam.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So you're saying everyone else is wrong and you are right.  Got it. :)

When the topic of conversation is my personal thoughts about something then yes. Are you or transplant or Joe seriously trying to tell me you know more about what I think than I do?

As far as whether I’m right about whether Josh should play right away after being concussed or any other issue, I’m not pretending to know anything for certain. It’s just my opinion. 

I know every game is important and if we didn't have a decent backup, I could see them maybe needing to rush him back. But with Barkley and the bye the following week, I'd rather Josh sit this week and get three full weeks to recoup.

I recently suffered a mild concussion. I didn't show any symptoms until maybe 40 minutes after it happened (for those who might think that Josh jogging off the field on Sunday meant he was ok or it wasn't too bad), but then I had a mild but persistent headache for about 10 days and weird vision issues for the first few days right after it happened. I could function, but definitely wasn't at my best. Not fully present. And I certainly wasn't playing any contact sports through it. Of course every person is different (and Josh is way younger than I am), and every concussion is different. But I'd rather they be safe than sorry with Josh's health. I want to see him playing for this franchise for the next 10-15 years. Let Barkley and the defense hold down the fort for a week.

At most, maybe start Barkley and have Josh as the emergency backup. I have a feeling that they don't feel comfortable with Webb having to see the field yet (if something were to happen to Barkley). Maybe that could be a good plan, if Josh clears protocol. And then if Josh had to go in, you just call a safe game for him. Keep him out of harm's way as much as you can.

But I assume if he clears protocol, they will start him.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

When the topic of conversation is my personal thoughts about something then yes. Are you or transplant or Joe seriously trying to tell me you know more about what I think than I do?

As far as whether I’m right about whether Josh should play right away after being concussed or any other issue, I’m not pretending to know anything for certain. It’s just my opinion. 

I will validate your opinion.
it is just that.

i would not freak out if they sat him as an active player. get a different viewpoint and support Barkley.
But i suppose no forward thinking NFL team would do that to be honest with you.
if he is good to go? They play him. He is the Bills Franchise QB and gives them the best chance to win. But anyone that trusts the NFL to look out for the player's long term health is placing trust in the wrong place. as far as concussion protocol and anything else really

I will Trust McBeanes. they are solid.

5 minutes ago, folz said:

I know every game is important and if we didn't have a decent backup, I could see them maybe needing to rush him back. But with Barkley and the bye the following week, I'd rather Josh sit this week and get three full weeks to recoup.

I recently suffered a mild concussion. I didn't show any symptoms until maybe 40 minutes after it happened (for those who might think that Josh jogging off the field on Sunday meant he was ok or it wasn't too bad), but then I had a mild but persistent headache for about 10 days and weird vision issues for the first few days right after it happened. I could function, but definitely wasn't at my best. Not fully present. And I certainly wasn't playing any contact sports through it. Of course every person is different (and Josh is way younger than I am), and every concussion is different. But I'd rather they be safe than sorry with Josh's health. I want to see him playing for this franchise for the next 10-15 years. Let Barkley and the defense hold down the fort for a week.

At most, maybe start Barkley and have Josh as the emergency backup. I have a feeling that they don't feel comfortable with Webb having to see the field yet (if something were to happen to Barkley). Maybe that could be a good plan, if Josh clears protocol. And then if Josh had to go in, you just call a safe game for him. Keep him out of harm's way as much as you can.

But I assume if he clears protocol, they will start him.

good post all around.

I may not even notice a mild concussion at my age and condition.

lol

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Ah. Yeah I'm not sure of the actual rules. We're not doing a great job playing 4D chess if we only put active players on the plane though.

Well by activate I thought you meant signed to the 53... which he isn’t. He’s only on the PS, essentially a FA. That’s why i would think he would need to be signed to the actual roster to travel with the team. The inactive list is different - they are on the 53 but not active to play in the game (there can only be 46)

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, jkeerie said:

At the very least...assuming Allen is cleared to play late in the week, I would expect Barkley to start and Josh to be the backup.

If he’s clear he’s in 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Webb has NOT  been activated from the practice squad. If they suspected Allen wouldn't be available, I assume they would have brought him up already. 

Not sure if Allen starts, but safe to speculate McD and friends are expecting him to suit up.

Why would they rush that decision and cut a player when Webb can practice as is 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he would need to be on the 53 to travel - could be wrong 

Nope - turns out even fans can fly to Nashville for the game 

• Like (+1) 1