Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree.

Part of the problem here though is that they are trying to make a young John Elway be a seasoned Tom Brady with this offense.

People don't want to hear it but he's not ready to run this style of offense efficiently.    When he will be I don't know.  They are committed to it this season due to personnel decisions......... unless they make a move for a big field stretching/contested ball winning WR like AJ Green.   But right now they are making Allen execute long drives when his skillset SCREAMS big plays.   Stretch the defense vertically and hit them with the run.  

Currently the net result is a lot of encouraging plays to hang your hat on and say "maybe Josh can do this" but a TON of turnovers and few points.

Playing this offense is Sean McDermott's defensive dream........tons of opportunities for game changing mistakes...........very little threat of big play.

It feels like this offense is doing something.....but it's not.........it's just fiddling around until late in the game when Josh can run around and make plays against a tired opponent. 

And it sure seems that in reigning him in he's lost his touch on the throws that make him special.   

Disagree to an extent in that he HAS had plenty of deep-shot chances, and he has taken them, and often enough guys have been open. He's just been abjectly failing to date. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Based on his participation in individual drills today would say I would say he is in Stage 4 of the protocol.

Football Specific Activities.

The player continues cardiovascular, strength and balance training and participates in non-contact football activities.

Next Step to be fully cleared Friday and will play Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ta111 said:

Agreed it’s the same playbook, but you will probably use it differently based upon the QB’s strengths and weaknesses.

He will also have different habits. Allen might chuck the deep ball where Barkley might just dump it off for instance. Allen might try to take off and run where Barkley might stand and deliver. Defenses have to approach these QBs differently because they have different styles. It’s not just about playbooks. Most of the NFL has the same playbooks. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Based on his participation in individual drills today would say I would say he is in Stage 4 of the protocol.

Football Specific Activities.

The player continues cardiovascular, strength and balance training and participates in non-contact football activities.

Next Step to be fully cleared Friday and will play Sunday.

Such great news for Josh. I am going to believe this means he is feeling better and has been able to sleep the last couple nights. 

I also love that Tenn has to prepare for both Barkley and Allen. Although I’m not totally sure what more or different you would have to prepare for Barkley than Allen.

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Such great news for Josh. I am going to believe this means he is feeling better and has been able to sleep the last couple nights. 

I also love that Tenn has to prepare for both Barkley and Allen. Although I’m not totally sure what more or different you would have to prepare for Barkley than Allen.

I mean there is a difference between a guy that fires bullets and one that fires pellets.

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree.

Part of the problem here though is that they are trying to make a young John Elway be a seasoned Tom Brady with this offense.

People don't want to hear it but he's not ready to run this style of offense efficiently.    When he will be I don't know.  They are committed to it this season due to personnel decisions......... unless they make a move for a big field stretching/contested ball winning WR like AJ Green.   But right now they are making Allen execute long drives when his skillset SCREAMS big plays.   Stretch the defense vertically and hit them with the run.  

Currently the net result is a lot of encouraging plays to hang your hat on and say "maybe Josh can do this" but a TON of turnovers and few points.

Playing this offense is Sean McDermott's defensive dream........tons of opportunities for game changing mistakes...........very little threat of big play.

It feels like this offense is doing something.....but it's not.........it's just fiddling around until late in the game when Josh can run around and make plays against a tired opponent. 

And it sure seems that in reigning him in he's lost his touch on the throws that make him special.   

I’m not sure whose dream it is - I’ve been wondering aloud whether Daboll wants to prove to the league he knows how to implement the New England offense, so as to set himself up for a head coaching opportunity this offseason - the Belichick coaching tree keeps getting hired, he may be trying to strike while the iron is hot.

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Tenn is smart they should be Preparing for the better QB and that is Allen, easier to adjust to Barkley than the other way around

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I mean there is a difference between a guy that fires bullets and one that fires pellets.

That’s what I mean. Prepare for Allen. The offensive game plan has been a ton of underneath routes so far. This is what I would think Barkley would excel at, if anything.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not sure whose dream it is - I’ve been wondering aloud whether Daboll wants to prove to the league he knows how to implement the New England offense, so as to set himself up for a head coaching opportunity this offseason - the Belichick coaching tree keeps getting hired, he may be trying to strike while the iron is hot.

More troublesome to me is his unwillingness to go up tempo for long stretches. Josh seems to enjoy and do well with that.

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That’s what I mean. Prepare for Allen. The offensive game plan has been a ton of underneath routes so far. This is what I would think Barkley would excel at, if anything.

Didn't the browns play a SERIES with Quinn and a series with Anderson years ago? ??????