Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

If he shows no further symptoms during/after individual drills today he's good. Considering how clear-headed he looked Sunday, chances are high. They'll try clear stage 5 today, so that he can practice tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

What makes you say that then?

17 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting take. I’m thinking Vrabel blitzes on a high % of plays because Belichick did and the Bills had trouble handling it. Won’t have to focus on taking away escape lanes if Allen doesn’t go. I think the O has their work cut out here. 

This is where Singletary can be so dangerous on the blitz dump off’s. Huge yardage chunks.   Suppose Knox as well. 

10 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I would be surprised if Allen plays Sunday.

Not me. Concussion recovery varies widely. I coached soccer for a long time. I had some girls who took a glancing blow and had serious consequences for months, and others who were knocked out cold and docs cleared them (and they seemed fine) within 2 weeks. 

I wasn't allowed to play them until their docs cleared them and parents gave permission. 

2 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but apparently Allen is in stage 4 (out of 5 stages) of the protocol. Way ahead of schedule. I don't want to rush him, but if he truly is healthy I want him playing

A good game for his 'development' for sure. A better watch too

2 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but apparently Allen is in stage 4 (out of 5 stages) of the protocol. Way ahead of schedule. I don't want to rush him, but if he truly is healthy I want him playing

No schedule. It's not like ACL surgery. Everyone's recovery is totally different. You can both ascend and descend the ladder too. 

But if he's already running and moving, it's a very good sign. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

This is where Singletary can be so dangerous on the blitz dump off’s. Huge yardage chunks.   Suppose Knox as well. 

Yeldon is also perfectly capable of that role, we just need Josh willing to use that valve instead of the homerun.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Well, as bad a day as Allen had, it wasn’t the ultimate difference in the game. It was a shame he didn’t have an opportunity to finish the game because his 4th quarter stats this year are among the best in the league. 

Also, as much as I dislike his decision making on those INTs and the sacks he took, I’m more concerned about his not taking what the D was giving him. Part of that is on Daboll, but it’s mostly on Allen. If there is a glimmer of a silver lining in that regard, he came out in the second half and started doing exactly that. 

I agree.

Part of the problem here though is that they are trying to make a young John Elway be a seasoned Tom Brady with this offense.

People don't want to hear it but he's not ready to run this style of offense efficiently.    When he will be I don't know.  They are committed to it this season due to personnel decisions......... unless they make a move for a big field stretching/contested ball winning WR like AJ Green.   But right now they are making Allen execute long drives when his skillset SCREAMS big plays.   Stretch the defense vertically and hit them with the run.  

Currently the net result is a lot of encouraging plays to hang your hat on and say "maybe Josh can do this" but a TON of turnovers and few points.

Playing this offense is Sean McDermott's defensive dream........tons of opportunities for game changing mistakes...........very little threat of big play.

It feels like this offense is doing something.....but it's not.........it's just fiddling around until late in the game when Josh can run around and make plays against a tired opponent. 

And it sure seems that in reigning him in he's lost his touch on the throws that make him special.   

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Playing this offense is Sean McDermott's defensive dream........tons of opportunities for game changing mistakes...........very little threat of big play.

It feels like this offense is doing something.....but it's not.........it's just fiddling around until late in the game when Josh can run around and make plays against a tired opponent. 

And it sure seems that in reigning him in he's lost his touch on the throws that make him special.   

That's an interesting observation. The lack of deep balls may also be Josh unwilling to throw it up deep to the smurfs. Long throws to smurfs must be perfect. Long throws to bigger targets need not be. I think the Bills lack a big body WR right now. Foster is the closest thing and he isn't getting on the field. 

Josh's struggles are his own, but the personnel with no big WR, and DiMarco lined up as WR (!) do him no favors. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, John Adams said:

That's an interesting observation. The lack of deep balls may also be Josh unwilling to throw it up deep to the smurfs. Long throws to smurfs must be perfect. Long throws to bigger targets need not be. I think the Bills lack a big body WR right now. Foster is the closest thing and he isn't getting on the field. 

Josh's struggles are his own, but the personnel with no big WR, and DiMarco lined up as WR (!) do him no favors. 

Foster didn't play last week but they targeted him on deep balls three times against the Giants and twice against the Bengals. They are somewhat trying but havent been able to get it done.

And didnt play because of groin injury.

1 minute ago, John Adams said:

It's not that Josh is missing by a little bit, he's missing by a lot on the deep balls.  

The deep ball caught be Brown against the Jets wasn't a perfect pass.  You just need to give them a chance and overthrowing by 10 yards doesn't give them a chance.

The reason that DiMarco lines up at WR is to see how the defense shifts where you can determine if it's man or zone the defense was playing.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Thank you. I thought so too.

Yes clearly him quoting only your second point is equivalent to you playing cut and paste with his only sentence.

59 minutes ago, VW82 said:

No, you're not going by my post history. I challenge you to find any post of mine where I say I hate him or want him to fail. When I'm critical, it's because of something specific I've observed with his play on the field. You're taking those criticisms of his play and inferring that I must hate him and want him to fail. It's illogical. 

I'd understand your position better if you argued that I don't think he's any good. There's definitely evidence in my posting history of that -- for the record, I think he's raw and wild, but has incredible talent. It's anyone's guess at this point if he'll be good.  

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'd understand your position better if you argued that I don't think he's any good. There's definitely evidence in my posting history of that

45 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oh good Lord. That was the portion I wished to address. The rest was fluff. Get over yourself.

40 minutes ago, VW82 said:

good portion to address.

Completely the same thing.?

• Like (+1) 1