Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If you never know, then what's the random time limit?  Lots of NFL QB's have sustained a concussion at some point.  If Josh feels good, and he's cleared, you play him Sunday. 

Sitting your franchise QB as a learning moment makes no sense when he's in his second year.  Yes, it worked last year as a rookie but we're past that now.  He needs to work through this stuff on the field.

Exactly. And that’s precisely what he was well on his way to doing in the 2nd half on Sunday. Other than that questionable INT in the 3rd qtr, he did a great job of turning it around in the second half. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You're blurring the lines between sitting him for his health, and benching him for performance. That's two different conversations really.

- If he's out of the protocol, he's healthy and ready to go. It doesn't make sense to not play your best players when they are healthy. If he's healthy he plays. They also can't mess with the protocol. He's either cleared (thus healthy) or he isn't. There's no room to hold him out and say he's still got issues, unless he were to lie to the Neurologist, but i'm guessing there are a lot of issues with that idea. 

- If you want to argue he should be benched, that's another conversation. While the performance was terrible, I don't think benching him at this time is a good idea and would have an overall negative affect on him long term. Not that EJ Manuel was ever going to be a franchise QB, but the little chance he had left was shot out the window when he got benched.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think it needs to be that black and white. If he clears we can still dress him as QB2 and justify it by saying that it was a big hit and we wanted to be on the safe side given how important Josh is to the franchise. Plus, the team prepared with Barkley as the starter all week. So it doesn't have to publicly be about performance issues despite that being part of the issue in reality. 

Do you truly believe we rushed Josh back last year after the injury? Or did we maybe slow roll it a bit and use the extra time to coach him up, make sure he was 100% ready to go, and put him in a better position to succeed? I think it was the latter. That's all I'm suggesting in this case. 

Edited by VW82

My guess is that any status we hear about Josh Allen's concussion progress or lack thereof is all BS.

If I'm McDermott, I'm making the Titans prepare for both Josh Allen and Matt Barkley. Their two games are completely different.

This is actually a significant advantage for us.

31 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

that thread seems to just argue about McCoy, Zay, etc.

was hoping to have a thread that is only about Allen and his health for this week ?

Sorry Ray Ray, you are not allowed to have your own thread. Just because you want something doesn't mean it will happen.  Geez?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

My guess is that any status we hear about Josh Allen's concussion progress or lack thereof is all BS.

If I'm McDermott, I'm making the Titans prepare for both Josh Allen and Matt Barkley. Their two games are completely different.

Well thats the one thing about the concussion protocol is that there are really no secrets. He is cleared when hes cleared, hes not cleared until then. And its not the Bills doing it, so they have no say one way or another and HAVE to report when hes cleared /when hes not cleared. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

You can't just have Allen out there running individual drills for some trickery though.  He's where he's at in the protocol.  You can't play games with that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

This can't be ruled out. Good thought.

Just now, VW82 said:

This can't be ruled out. Good thought.

Yes, it can be ruled out.  You can't lie about where you're at in concussion protocol. 

If Allen was struggling with side effects from the hit, we can't just trot him out there in daylight running drills. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Mods will need to have a megre o rama fest ... 17 new threads at least..

and Nd then I expect a few like:

- even if he can play, should they bench him

and 

- does Barkley gives better chance to win even though he’s out of CP

etc 

Except the titles will be "Serious Question".

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

that thread seems to just argue about McCoy, Zay, etc.

was hoping to have a thread that is only about Allen and his health for this week ?

Oh I get having to wade through chaff..   but isn't this the same?  or soon will be,

Stage / step 4 of 5 in clearing protocol  

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Mods will need to have a megre o rama fest ... 17 new threads at least..

and Nd then I expect a few like:

- even if he can play, should they bench him

and 

- does Barkley gives better chance to win even though he’s out of CP

etc 

dozens of threads IMO just doesn't do much but repeat the SOS 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I am not on board with letting Allen sit to learn. Sitting him his rookie year I can understand but not now. He needs as much playing time as possible to try to develop as quickly as possible. There are only so many games in a season and Allen needs to play in all of them unless he is hurt. 

Maybe, maybe not. Confidence is a fragile thing, especially for NFL QBs. Coming into the season Josh had it in spades. Sunday vs. Pats was the first time where it looked to me like maybe he thought he couldn't do it. Now you want to put him in against one of the best defenses in the league coming off a concussion and with less than the usual time to prepare (due to said concussion)? That sounds like a recipe for another poor performance. 

Also, and this is perhaps a secondary consideration, but Barkley's best attribute is making quick decisions and getting the ball out which is exactly what we need vs. Titans' D.

Just now, VW82 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Confidence is a fragile thing, especially for NFL QBs. Coming into the season Josh had it in spades. Sunday vs. Pats was the first time where it looked to me like maybe he thought he couldn't do it. Now you want to put him in against one of the best defenses in the league coming off a concussion and with less than the usual time to prepare (due to said concussion)? That sounds like a recipe for another poor performance. 

Also, and this is perhaps a secondary consideration, but Barkley's best attribute is making quick decisions and getting the ball out which is exactly what we need vs. Titans' D.

He's in team meetings.

Just now, VW82 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Confidence is a fragile thing, especially for NFL QBs. Coming into the season Josh had it in spades. Sunday vs. Pats was the first time where it looked to me like maybe he thought he couldn't do it.

Laughable. Did he look like he thought he couldn't do it leading them to a scoring drive in the third?

Let's be honest here. You want him to sit, because you don't like the guy. Bottom line. All these other little ancillary reasons you're coming up with are so you can feel good about thinking that.

This thread has been very useful in keeping me up to date on just how many other Josh Concussion threads there are.

While I learned nothing about Josh's concussion the @billsfan1959 comment about trading Zay for McCoy made visiting this thread completely worthwhile. Funniest comment of the day/week. Well played sir

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, it can be ruled out.  You can't lie about where you're at in concussion protocol. 

If Allen was struggling with side effects from the hit, we can't just trot him out there in daylight running drills. 

He wasn't suggesting that, nor was I. He just meant that even if Josh clears McD will likely leave it as a game time decision and force Tenn to have to prepare for both, which given the difference in styles is actually a big advantage for us.