Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think he is gonna be fine. As long as he isn’t experiencing conditions of the concussion by tomorrow he will likely be good to go Sunday. If he is still in stage 1 tomorrow (Bills don’t talk staged though so will be hard to tell) he will be cleared by Sunday. 

what worries me is how cautious they were with Morse we might not see Josh until after the bye. Then again Morse has multiple concussions in his history as well. 

I do think we need Josh against Tennessee though. 

Tennessee can absolutely beat us without Allen.  Not a bad team at all... and it's in their house.

• Like (+1) 2

It's absolutely sickening that the national narrative is that Allen "got what he deserved".  Heck, even some people here are criticizing Josh for the fool-hardy pursuit of trying to gain yardage.

Hell, if you are a quarterback, you should EXPECT that some guy is going to try to end your career with a cheap shot, so you'd best be sliding!  Better yet, don't even bother getting off the bus because, ya know, those defenders just can't help themselves and if they see you in the tunnel they might succumb to their baser instincts and launch their helmet right into your face.  You wear that tight dress to the party, and all bets are off, right?!

This is the attitude that will ultimately destroy the NFL.  Something happened where playing defense shifted from doing what you can to prevent the opposing player from gaining yardage, and now it is fully about inflicting the maximum amount of damage in the pursuit of taking your opponent out of the game.

And can you blame defenses?  Some scrub 5th corner or reserve defensive lineman can do next to nothing to impact the result of the game.  Sure, maybe the stars align and that tackle can get a big sack, or the DB can do the unthinkable and score a touchdown.  But honestly, there is no more impactful play that can be made than injuring the opposing quarterback.  In most cases, it guarantees your team a victory.  In some cases, it removes an entire team from season-long contention.  All for the low, low price of 15 yards (or zero, in other cases).  It's truly the best deal in football.

Even better, we've now implemented the Concussion Protocol, so if your cheap shot head-hunting comes up a bit short and you don't fully end the guy's career, HE is the one that gets removed from the game.

How sad is it that the narrative is that it was Allen's fault for not knowing his place, and not EXPECTING to get his head targeted by a guy looking to end his career.  Ya'll spouting that garbage should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Like (+1) 6

Yeah, I'm mad.  I'm disgusted.  I shouldn't be, because why bother, right?

I'm mad that the best sport in the world has been destroyed by a culture of violence and the lack of accountability.  That watching a football game has devolved into a contest of who can injure who, flags on every play, the blue pop-up tents.  Endlessly reviewing some pointless 8 yard passing play for twelve different flavors of pass interference.

Week-to-week it's about watching the injury report, and hoping your quarterback's scrambled brain gets pieced back together enough so he can count how many fingers the "unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant" is holding up.

Arrgh.  Sometimes you just need to have a temper tantrum after reading the 100th tweet from some mouth-breathing chowderhead saying Josh's brain got what was coming to it, and the apologist pundits tacitly praising Belichick's savvy defense for using just the right technique to mush a guy's face without getting thrown out of the game.

Hyaachchahahahaha.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

so what are the odds he plays next week?  jogging to the locker room he seemed with it but the next day is usually the worst right? 

Yeah with all my concussions I have had it was always worse the next day

1 minute ago, FiftyPercent said:

Titans can beat the Bills WITH Allen.

who gives Bills best chance to win Allen or Barkley?

16 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

so what are the odds he plays next week?  jogging to the locker room he seemed with it but the next day is usually the worst right? 

Impossible to say. He could be cleared by Wednesday, or out for a month. And we won’t get any news until Wed unless he’s cleared by 4 pm today when McD meets with the media. 

40 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Just watching him go into the tent and then later when he jogged up the tunnel, he looked fully alert and with-it, and he didn't show any signs of motor impairment.  Unfortunately we've all seen players concussed in the NFL before, and they generally look a lot more messed up than Josh did.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's available on Sunday.  I mean, how could my armchair diagnosis based on no medical training be wrong?  ;)

going into the tent... while stable, his eyes looked a little off.. of course I've also said they he has beady eyes  lol 

Jogging off the field, yeah he looked OK. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I had a concussion in high school. The effects were minor at first, but in about an hour I was dizzy and throwing up. 

Yeah concussions are tricky.  He was probably running on adrenaline jogging off the field.  Eventually that's going to wear off.  That's the part the public does not get to see.

If the Bills think he is their long term QB they shouldn't rush him back.  That was a brutal cheap-shot he took. Error on the side of caution, but my coaching job is not on the line.

Edited by CodeMonkey

8 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I had a concussion in high school. The effects were minor at first, but in about an hour I was dizzy and throwing up. 

Dianna Russini said he was sitting in front of his locker by himself after the game, not doing anything. Fwiw. How he feels today will probably be a big indicator. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Keep in mind there's two components, the immediate effects of the concussion and post concussion longer term effects (syndrome). 

Obviously the concussion itself caused some real problems, as he did appeared to be knocked out or have trouble getting up.  Couldn't tell if that leg movement when he was lying on the field was voluntary or involuntary.  

Edited by GaryPinC

Good morning. I know it's my first post as a TwoBills guest but I wanted to stop by and see how Allen was and what the fans were saying?

It was tough to watch. But I'm glad he seems to be doing well.

I understand my view of it won't be popular but here goes. It will get a fine as it should but it wasn't malicious. I think Allen getting caught from behind a split second before the hit restricted his movement just enough so he could not protect himself as a runner and Jones was committed. It was a bang, bang play. I don't see what either player could have done differently. It's one of those unfortunate things that happens sometimes. I believe 99% of players never like to see another player hurt. It's their livelihood and health at risk. They are a brotherhood when all is said and done. Again I'm very, very happy that Allen appears to be recovering well.

As far as the game it was interesting to say the least. The Bill's D was impressive especially the D line. They brought pressure consistently. It will be fun to see where each team is at when they play again December 22nd.

Until then best of luck. 

Edited by FriendlyFire

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dianna Russini said he was sitting in front of his locker by himself after the game, not doing anything. Fwiw. How he feels today will probably be a big indicator. 

Maybe he was waiting for Alfred to fetch him his suit?

• Haha (+1) 1