Post Game Thread Bills vs Pats*

Chandler#81

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It's very disappointing to hear that the coaches drill Allen about making the smart play, and then he turns around and makes a half dozen or more dumb plays in a game.

Can he correct this behavior...sure.   Will he...who knows.

PS If this was Peterman instead of Allen at QB for the Bills yesterday, 95% of the posters here would be on standby with torches and pitchforks.

Ya, but NP was a flier, JA is a #7 over all pick. 

Thats the king and short of it and nothing more needs to be said regarding it. I dont disagree,  but its apples and oranges

6 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Seeing it live with no replay, the pass looked to be ahead of the receiver that was held up.   The receiver looked to be hooked by the face mask.  The ref closest to the infraction called it.  The back judge came running in to change the call to uncatchable.   They may not have even been considering the same receiver on that call.  I thought there was illegal hands to face, or holding, or pass interference- something.   Our receiver appeared obstructed from his route from my view.  

Similarly, the pick play.  The Pats* have been doing this forever.  There had no contact, just obstruction.  The Pats* player even stuck out his leg to pick off our DB.  Again, they pick with touching you, which is still s pick but they take advantage of the refs ability to see things in real time.  

Thete were holding calls on us that were questionable.  Morse got flagged for nothing, the Pats* DL sold the call by raising his arms.  I did not see the holding, or the flag, on the the JA helmet hit. 

There were two other  face mask calls by the Pats* that were not called.  One against Josh Allen.   

Going back to their first super bowl were  they held Marshall Faulk in the backfield or at  the line of scrimmage, to keep him out of the passing  game.  This team will take whatever the refs will give them. The play on the edge of the rules and they have for a very long time. 

And over if need be!

7 hours ago, FriendlyFire said:

Apples and oranges, losers keep showing and talking about the clements hit, but it wasn’t  helmet to helmet and Brady wasn’t being held by another player. Good try though as usual you’re just wrong.

Edited by Meatloaf63

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

My overall thoughts on this game are mixed. This was a competitive game one possession game all the way and the Bills had a legit shot to win late. However there were a lot of negatives associated with the game too. 

Positives 

1- The Defense

This was the best defensive effort against Brady since the 31-0 2003 opener. Even in 2014 the defense wasn't this good (and Brady didn't play the second half in 2014.) The Patriots are one of the top 5 offenses in the league and the Bills handled them very effectively. This defense is fantastic at tackling. I also like what I saw out of Ed Oliver who had his best game. 

2- Andre Roberts

The return game was good vastly improved from the average to below average rate it was at. In the Jauron and Gailey years the team always seemed to put a huge effort into the return game. But in recent years it hasn't been the best. I feel like with Roberts the Bills have a quality top 10 return man. He makes good decisions, has effective speed, and just overall understands the return game well. 

3- Frank Gore

God dam Gore is an ageless wonder. A true power back who brings a physical component to the ground game. Just super impressed with how Gore played. 

4- TJ Yeldon

Yeldon really showed his value in the passing game. I think Yeldon showcased his value to the offense. 

Somewhere in the middle

1- The O-line 

The O-line somewhat consistently handled themselves well in the ground game. As far as pass protection they were decent but the pressure was at times high on Josh. It wasn't a bad effort by the O-line but it wasn't a dominant display either. 

2- Cole Beasley 

A somewhat impressive stat line and a consistent slot presence but his impact is always going to be limited most of the time against better teams. 

The Bad

1- The Punting

There are a couple of key issues with the team but the most frustrating and easily fixable one is the punting game. One or two bad punts can be the difference in the game. Let alone the blocked punt which was just an awful special team miscue that really did cost the team the game. This team needs a new punter easily one thing that the team can fix and possibly save them a game in the season. 

2- John Brown 

This isn't a real knock on Brown as I think he is a quality number 2 WR. But he simply isn't a true game breaking number one WR. I think we all knew that but this game confirmed that. 

3- Josh Allen 

Josh hasn't really played a full seasons worth of starts yet. But man was he ugly in this game. The O-line's play and his supporting cast play left some avenues to be desired but they weren't bad enough to justify how he performed. The good news is these types of struggles are to be expected when a young QB goes up against a very good defense. However it was disappointing to see the bad decisions Josh made. It really goes to show you just how much more development he is going to need. I think Josh can improve on his decision making but it isn't going to happen over night. 

Those are my takes. I think you can't really put anything on the defense or the ground game. This game was lost by Josh being a young QB and making young QB mistakes. It doesn't excuse those mistakes to say well hey he is a young QB but rather simply providing an explanation/context for his play. 

The team lost a tough close game to one of the best teams in football. While there are no moral victories it is clear that his team has a respectable level of talent. 

No bad list can be complete without Zay Jones and Lee Smith. 

Zay is not good. He needs to go get the ball but he waits for it to come to him.  Three year vet and he still did not know to turn into a DB on the poorly throw ball that picked.  All around bad player.  

15 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

For anyone that wants to spend a few minutes getting sick, read this:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/09/30/sean-mcdermott-rough-dayleftover-patriots-thoughts-buffalo-bills/

You’d think the Bills were dominated after reading this.

That's not what I got out of it at all.

15 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Apples and oranges, losers keep showing and talking about the clements hit, but it wasn’t  helmet to helmet and Brady wasn’t being held by another player. Good try though as usual you’re just wrong.

The hit was nothing more than a football play with zero intent to injure. Everybody outside of Buffalo and even half of Buffalo see it that way. It's a flag and nothing more.

helmet.