Post Game Thread Bills vs Pats*

Chandler#81

I think we can agree in general the skill position guys could do better at fighting for contested catches and coming back to make plays for the qb.  John Brown has been the best by far snagging some impressive away from his body catches  Honestly we dont have that feared WR1 who routinely makes tough catches along with the occasional highlight reel reception.   In a perfect world Brown would be a #2 wr and Beasley would be the slot on obvious passing downs/3 wr sets and Zay would be a distant memory

For as bad as Allen was, he seemed to be getting it together in the second half.  

Josh Allen also has one of the highest 4th Quarter QBR’s in the league, as well as operating one of the most efficient red zone offenses.  

Safe to say this one couldve been much different if, once again, a Patriot player didn’t intentionally hurt one of our star players.  

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For as bad as Allen was, he seemed to be getting it together in the second half.  

Josh Allen also has one of the highest 4th Quarter QBR’s in the league, as well as operating one of the most efficient red zone offenses.  

Safe to say this one couldve been much different if, once again, a Patriot player didn’t intentionally hurt one of our star players.  

Agreed. I was hoping/expecting JA to walk out there on that last drive in heroic fashion and lead us to victory. Hope the guy is okay.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

4 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

I think we needed ten timeouts for this game. Definitely outschemed in key situations.

Yeah, there weren’t enough TO in 3 games we needed today.  Also, Allen’s situational awareness is puzzling... isn’t he on the mic, I mean, how do you take sacks twice that I can  recall that took you out of hard fought FG range?

I mean the unforced error and maddening 

Overall the Bills have nothing explosive going on offense and that could ultimately cost us a playoff season.  I can easily see going down to Tennessee and losing a 17-10 type of game.  That’s a big game between teams that will be competing for only 2 wild card spots 

5 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think we can agree in general the skill position guys could do better at fighting for contested catches and coming back to make plays for the qb.  John Brown has been the best by far snagging some impressive away from his body catches  Honestly we dont have that feared WR1 who routinely makes tough catches along with the occasional highlight reel reception.   In a perfect world Brown would be a #2 wr and Beasley would be the slot on obvious passing downs/3 wr sets and Zay would be a distant memory

Have to wonder, as was stated in the broadcast and multiple other places before, if it's Foster's foot injury that's limiting his snaps.  If so, when he's healed does he relegate Zay to the bench?  I would have thought Foster and Brown would be redundant one dimensional deep ball threats before realizing what a versatile receiver Brown is.

1 minute ago, transient said:

Have to wonder, as was stated in the broadcast and multiple other places before, if it's Foster's foot injury that's limiting his snaps.  If so, when he's healed does he relegate Zay to the bench?  I would have thought Foster and Brown would be redundant one dimensional deep ball threats before realizing what a versatile receiver Brown is.

Groin. I'm not putting too much stock in Bob Foster.

I didn't read through this whole thread so apologies if someone else mentioned this but IMO the Bills lost this game on one series in the 2nd half.  Let me lay it out:

Bills are down 13 - 3 and they come out of the locker room in the 3rd quarter and Allen engineers the best (and only) TD drive against the Pats D in the last 4 games going back to the Super Bowl.  This cuts the Pats lead to 13 - 10.  The Ralph is rocking and the Bills are fired up!

The defense promptly three & outs the Patriots and forces the punt.  The Bills have the ball at their own 39 yard line.

Two quick plays gain 6 yards and the Bills face a 3rd & 4!  Allen masterfully gets the pats to jump offside giving us the 1st down.  He also throws a deep ball taking advantage of the free play.  Wait, no 1st down because the Bills are called for holding on that play! 

Okay, so we have a do over.  Allen pulls the ball down and runs for 6 yards and a first down at the Pat's 48 yard line!  Wait, no 1st down as we get a SECOND freaking holding call.  Now it's 3rd & 14 and off course we don't convert.

I believe that had we got the 1st down there we take it all the way in for a TD.  Big Moe was clearly working in our favor! 

So in spite of Allen's 3 INT's; in spite of a coaching staff wasting 2 precious 2nd half TO's;  in spite of a blocked punt for a TD and in spite of a 22 yard punt that was no better then an INT I believe this series and the unfortunate penalties that happened is why we lost the game.  Am I crazy here?  I've just seen so much football in my life and that was the point where we could have taken over the game.

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, MDH said:

I think he intellectually knows these things but when the bullets fly he’s not thinking about making the smart play. He reverts back to his instincts which have often worked for him in the past. 

Unless he can overcome a lifetime of poor decisions that have been reinforced because they sometimes worked he’s never going to be a consistent QB at the NFL level.

Im beginning to have my doubts.

No doubts on my end MDH. B B is real good at making young and inexperienced QB's look really bad. Allen seemed to be fighting his way out of it. Doing what he had to do, to move the football.

Talk is cheap , but don't you feel like If that was Josh Allen out there on the last drive, Bills win?

Don't get me wrong, I like Barkley...

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I didn't read through this whole thread so apologies if someone else mentioned this but IMO the Bills lost this game on one series in the 2nd half.  Let me lay it out:

Bills are down 13 - 3 and they come out of the locker room in the 3rd quarter and Allen engineers the best (and only) TD drive against the Pats D in the last 4 games going back to the Super Bowl.  This cuts the Pats lead to 13 - 10.  The Ralph is rocking and the Bills are fired up!

The defense promptly three & outs the Patriots and forces the punt.  The Bills have the ball at their own 39 yard line.

Two quick plays gain 6 yards and the Bills face a 3rd & 4!  Allen masterfully gets the pats to jump offside giving us the 1st down.  He also throws a deep ball taking advantage of the free play.  Wait, no 1st down because the Bills are called for holding on that play! 

Okay, so we have a do over.  Allen pulls the ball down and runs for 6 yards and a first down at the Pat's 48 yard line!  Wait, no 1st down as we get a SECOND freaking holding call.  Now it's 3rd & 14 and off course we don't convert.

I believe that had we got the 1st down there we take it all the way in for a TD.  Big Moe was clearly working in our favor! 

So in spite of Allen's 3 INT's; in spite of a coaching staff wasting 2 precious 2nd half TO's;  in spite of a blocked punt for a TD and in spite of a 22 yard punt that was no better then an INT I believe this series and the unfortunate penalties that happened is why we lost the game.  Am I crazy here?  I've just seen so much football in my life and that was the point where we could have taken over the game.

That first holding call on Dawkins is inexcusable. It’s a free play, you don’t hold to protect your QB there as the refs are supposed to blow it dead if a player is coming in unabated to the QB. That penalty made me mad.

The following one on Morse was kinda on Allen and kinda a bad call. Allen held the ball for 5-6 seconds on that play, you can’t expect the OL to hold off the D that long...except that was a totally ticky-tack call that had no impact on the play. Those are the types of calls the refs have been instructed not to call.

But yeah, it might have been a different game had they picked up the first there. It’s tough to know what would have happened. The Bills crosses mid-field time and time again this game yet had little success putting points in the board.

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

No doubts on my end MDH. B B is real good at making young and inexperienced QB's look really bad. Allen seemed to be fighting his way out of it. Doing what he had to do, to move the football.

Talk is cheap , but don't you feel like If that was Josh Allen out there on the last drive, Bills win?

Don't get me wrong, I like Barkley...

Imagine the level of the Barkley talk if Yeldon makes that catch and Bills win.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

That first holding call on Dawkins is inexcusable. It’s a free play, you don’t hold to protect your QB there as the refs are supposed to blow it dead if a player is coming in unabated to the QB. That penalty made me mad.

The following one on Morse was kinda on Allen and kinda a bad call. Allen held the ball for 5-6 seconds on that play, you can’t expect the OL to hold off the D that long...except that was a totally ticky-tack call that had no impact on the play. Those are the types of calls the refs have been instructed not to call.

But yeah, it might have been a different game had they picked up the first there. It’s tough to know what would have happened. The Bills crosses mid-field time and time again this game yet had little success putting points in the board.

But at that point in the game coming just after the Bills had gone 75 yards for the TD you just had the feeling that a dam was about to break open.  We had them on their back heels.  We'll never know but at the time I remember thinking we may have just lost the ball game. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

Why is Knox not more involved in the offense? All he does is come up with big plays. Instead we have to watch Lee Smith steak snaps from him cuz he’s a lunch pail dude.

Makes no sense.

Knox didn't see the field until the last drive of the 2nd half, when we marched down the field for a field goal attempt.

He needs a lot more snaps.

If you're going to play Smith, you might as well play an extra lineman. Everyone knows he's no threat to catch the ball.