Post Game Thread Bills vs Pats*

Chandler#81

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Allen is learning the hard way to take what the oppositions D gives you. In B B's case sometimes Its not much so I can understand how a young signal caller can grow impatient.

Myself personally, I think Allen studies the game tape and comes away learning a valuable lesson.

Had I just taken what the opposition was giving me...

...and watch Gore run...

I think he intellectually knows these things but when the bullets fly he’s not thinking about making the smart play. He reverts back to his instincts which have often worked for him in the past. 

Unless he can overcome a lifetime of poor decisions that have been reinforced because they sometimes worked he’s never going to be a consistent QB at the NFL level.

Im beginning to have my doubts.

Was at the game today and the whole crowd felt that the Bills were going to score on the drive that Allen got hurt on.  I believe we would’ve scored if he wasn’t knocked out.  The hit was dirty, I was sitting at the 40 and you could clearly see the DB target his head.  The crowd reacted with chants of “#######.”  Two of the interceptions actually happened at similiar positions on the field and against the same Defense.  It seemed like the Pats played a Cover 1 Robber quite a bit today.  I think that was the D that caused two of the picks.  Other causal factor for pics: Josh continues to throw 50/50 balls where our receivers don’t go up and get them or just get beat for them.  Not making excuses for the decisions on JA’s behalf but I think he will learn from this game today.  McD obviously frustrated in the post game presser in that JA needs to take what the defense gives him.  I’m still a little confused as to why Dabol left the run game so willingly.  Last observation is that JA was too pumped up today for this game.  I think with time, he’ll mature and not let his emotions impact his play as much.  Talk of benching him is premature.  He’ll be better after this concussion.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There's nothing emotional about this.

Allen isn't a good QB. As things stand he's one of the worst starters in the league relative to his peers. He routinely makes terrible decisions with the football, forcing passes into double coverage, throwing off his back foot, and throwing balls back across the middle when rolling right.

He does these things multiple times everytime he takes the field. At this point there's minimal evidence that he's learning from his mistakes. It's not like he's had bad luck or anything. He's got a better line, better receivers and a more effective run game than last year and he's still making all the same errors he made before he had any of those things.

McDermott needs to emphasize that Allen needs to stop turning the ball over or his job is on the line. The defense is too good to have a QB turning the ball over the way Allen has been this season. 

So there's no evidence that he's leaned anything or gotten better at all in his pro career?

Nice to see you back. Wonder what occasioned it.

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

I think he intellectually knows these things but when the bullets fly he’s not thinking about making the smart play. He reverts back to his instincts which have often worked for him in the past. 

Unless he can overcome a lifetime of poor decisions that have been reinforced because they sometimes worked he’s never going to be a consistent QB at the NFL level.

Im beginning to have my doubts.

After 16 games, eh?

You must be nostradamus.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

After 16 games, eh?

You must be nostradamus.

He needs to learn to take what the defense gives him. On the touchdown drive it was quick passes that got them down the field (and Gore). He should also watch some Brady film, when no ones open throw the ball in the dirt like the Bills defense forced him to all day. Better a punt than an interception or a sack.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Motor26 said:

He needs to learn to take what the defense gives him. On the touchdown drive it was quick passes that got them down the field (and Gore). He should also watch some Brady film, when no ones open throw the ball in the dirt like the Bills defense forced him to all day. Better a punt than an interception or a sack.

Yeah, and are we certain those same plays were called after that?

Did Daboll readjust to the adjustments the Pats made to those successful plays?

32 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Who were Zay's qbs in those 3 years? TT, Peterman and Josh. In spite of that he had a decent year last year. Peterman and a rookie last year. And as I pointed out, this year Josh is the issue. 16 games or not. Zay should be leading us in td, but Josh has thrown him crap in the ez. See the Giants, Bengals and today's game. It's on film, in color.

Not excusing the able situation but if you can’t see Zay is not a good NFL receiver you just have an agenda against Josh. 

2 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Not excusing the able situation but if you can’t see Zay is not a good NFL receiver you just have an agenda against Josh. 

Stop it. I've already said I like Josh and glad we have him. 3tds and 6 picks hasn't changed that. I actually think we'll get a lot better as the season progresses. No agenda. Zay should lead us in tds. Film shows this to be true.

Didn't read any of the thread... I just need to leave a steaming pile of vent and get it off my chest so I can move on with my evening. 

I get they're 3-1 and just played the defending SB champions... but I HATED this game.  I mean I REALLY HATED this game.  There should be no moral victories for this team anymore, they have too much talent for us to accept that. Until they learn to win this game they will continue to be also rans. 

This is every Patriots*** game that any remotely competitive Bills team has played against the Patriots*** for the last two decades - a whole pile of shoot yourself in the foot mixed with a handful of one-sided officiating and a dash of typical Patriots*** bull**** with just enough hope for victory to keep us watching until the inevitable final turnover seals their fate at the very end.

They turned the ball over 4 times...  FOUR TIMES...  Josh Allen looked like he was playing with a loaded diaper at times.  Where the hell was Yeldon as a safety valve in the first half of the game when your second year QB is likely to need it most to settle TF down in a big game. 

They repeatedly had questionable calls/non-calls go their way... are referees limited to one intentional grounding call per game on  Brady for ****'s sake? 

And to top it off they had their starting QB, who has shown to be clutch in the 4th quarter in his short career, knocked out of the game (pre-meditatedly, IMO) on an intentional cheap shot that would have given Greggggggg Williams a spontaneous ***** (damn language filter - think "big O").  If the league doesn't give Jones a 4-6 game suspension after a hit like that they're a blatant ****ing joke when they say they give a damn at all about player safety.  The NFL should consider the fact that he wasn't ejected a ****ing embarrassment, but they have to protect their golden goose franchise... filthy ****ing @#$%^&*s.

They spotted the Patriots***, of all teams, 13 points and despite all of this, thanks to an amazing defensive effort, the difference in the game comes down to a blocked punt and some really ****ing stupid coaching decisions that left points on the board and left us with no time outs by the start of the 4th quarter!?!?

I would have almost rather they'd gotten their asses handed to them than have this coulda, shoulda, woulda Bills-Patriots*** crap again... ALMOST.

It may make me petty, but after the head shot to Allen I hope they use this game as motivation to send a message in Foxboro... and if they happen to accidentally on purpose end Tom Brady's career... oops.  ?‍♀️

Edited by transient
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed.

This team should make the playoffs. They should pretty easily win 10 games given how good their defense is and how easy their schedule is.

All I'm saying is the QB play hasn't been good enough. 32nd in the league in QB rating shows that. 

We look like we're a decent QB away from having a Super Bowl contending team. That's all I'm saying. 

It hasn’t , but it’s early. Hopefully that QBis Allen, and he’s got to be better than decent.  They chose to draft a QB vs sign a seasoned vet mediocrity.  That means growing pains,  but it also means winning is possible while that is happening. All mistakes are magnified vs New England and we all knew that going in. Most felt the offense would dictate whether they won or lost today, and that pretty ,ugh happened. Throw in a gift TD from STs and that’s the day. Maybe you’ll get your wish, Allen won’t improve and they’ll be looking for another QB in a year or two. Probably a new HC and maybe even a GM. Or he improves and wins while he’s doing it vs the mostly avarge competition the league presents week in and week out. We will see. 

I watched this game from my phone. (So I didn’t see the plays just downs and distance.) from what i could tell 2grrat D’s And the cake down to the young Gun making more mistakes than the old vet QB.

Bills future looks bright and Allen should be damn good when he learns just to take a sack or throw it away. 

I think the play that hurt us the most was late in the 3rd quarter. It was an Offside penalty on NE that was negated by a holding on Dawkins. One of our offensive linemen false started when the defender jumped Offside. The play should have been whistled dead as an Offside 5 yard penalty. But they let the play go live. Then it bit us in the butt. 

that among many other calls that constantly can go 50/50 and just always seem to fall in favor of the Patriots. 

I know everyone is pissed on JA’s 3 picks but to me it’s a wash. It’s almost like punting or changing field position. Especially when Bojo shanks and makes 22 yard punts. I realize this cost us the game ultimately but when you live by the pass you die by the pass. Most QB’s throwing for yards throw some INT’s. However to contradict myself Brady only won this game because he didn’t take any chances. So there’s a time and place to everything. In a game against the Pats JA needs to learn he can’t do everything and we don’t need him to do everything. 

In a game this close though Brady didn’t win it for the Pats. He just didn’t lose it. So I realize JA probably lost the game. I think if he’s in the game he pulls out the win on that drive. I really do. But getting rid of the ball and throwing it away probably keeps this game closer. 13-16 or even 16-16 late in the 4th which makes for a different ending. 

For anyone trying to defend the hit on JA because he’s a runner you are mistaken. A defender can not target another player’s helmet with his own helmet or forearm. That’s a RB, WR, and especially a QB. The rule doesn’t say especially a QB. That’s my own add. But the rule is on any runner. It doesn’t limit it to a defenseless runner. In this case however JA was wrapped up and most definitely a defenseless runner. 

it was nice NE had more penalties than the Bills. I feel like there were at least 3-5 more that should have gone in our favor. 

The blocked punt I assume is the responsibility of the personal protector or the punter. They should have recognized the gunners not covered. Either bring them in for extra protection or audible for a pass. That’s freaking frustrating. 

I’m not about moral victories anymore than the next fan. Would have been awesome to get the win here. As a realist I never had this marked as a W when looking over the schedule so the calm version of me sees how great our defense looks and thinks we can roll up some serious wins this season. Also I like our chances in Foxboro later this year. I believe JA will make smarter decisions as the season progresses. 

I’m willing to live with the growing pains. I’m glad they aren’t hiding his inexperience like all the other QB’s we’ve had.  It’s refreshing to see the coaches have confidence in him and want him to develop. 

Please learn from this game Josh. Please!  I don’t have the patience to have us draft another QB in 2-3 years. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm not sure what game YOU were watching. OL was awful today.

Yeah...if you hold the ball long enough you’re OL looks like crap and in turn you make bad throws off your back foot. 

There were plenty of drop backs where he could thrown without any pressure. Instead hold the ball for more than 3 seconds and you’re going to be in trouble.