Weather at Game Time vs. the Patriots on 9-29-19

Stallions

-SUNNY

-Game time Temperature:  66 degrees  (-17 from  last Sunday!)

-Zero chance of Rain

-WINDS  9 MPH from the ENE with gusts to 14 MPH

** Winds in the Buffalo area are normally from the West !  At 9-14 mph they won't have  that much effect on the game as they did last week  - - BUT - -

Buffalo, by virtue of its position downwind of Lake Erie, is one of the nation's windiest cities, and as a result, New Era Field often is a difficult stadium for QB’s & Kickers with swirling winds that change direction & strength rapidly.  This is exacerbated by the stadium's design. The field is 50 feet (15 m) below ground level, while the top of the upper deck stands only 60 feet above ground. When the winds come in, they immediately drop down into the bowl, causing the stadium's signature wind patterns.

GO BILLS!

Edited by Stallions
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Stallions said:

-SUNNY

-Zero chance of Rain

** Winds in the Buffalo area are normally from the West !  At 9-14 mph they won't have  that much effect on the game as they did last week  - - BUT - -

Buffalo, by virtue of its position downwind of Lake Erie, is one of the nation's windiest cities, and as a result, New Era Field often is a difficult stadium for QB’s & Kickers with swirling winds that change direction & strength rapidly.  This is exacerbated by the stadium's design. The field is 50 feet (15 m) below ground level, while the top of the upper deck stands only 60 feet above ground. When the winds come in, they immediately drop down into the bowl, causing the stadium's signature wind patterns.

GO BILLS!

This brings up a topic that I have some additional thoughts on.  I do not think that the wind has as big of an effect at the field level as it used to.  Something about the redesign work, bigger scoreboard, added scoreboards, etc. has mitigated the wind at the field level.  I hate to sound like the old man that talks about how it was tougher in the old days but there were often games where the offense simply could not pass the ball moving toward the scoreboard endzone.  Of course that's when there was only 1 scoreboard in the stadium.  

Marv's first game as their HC was against the Steelers in November 1986.  The Bills won largely because Robb Riddick could grind out rushing yards and keep the clock moving in the quarters when they were driving toward the scoreboard end and thus eat up the time the Steelers had available to them when they were to move toward the tunnel end.

Here is a link to the box score of the game with some really ugly passing stats:

Bills/Steelers 1986

It says the wind was 27 mph that day.  I can't recall any game that has played like that since the remodel.  Often now the flags at the top of the stadium are ripping but the flags on the goalposts are barely moving. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

This brings up a topic that I have some additional thoughts on.  I do not think that the wind has as big of an effect at the field level as it used to.  Something about the redesign work, bigger scoreboard, added scoreboards, etc. has mitigated the wind at the field level.  I hate to sound like the old man that talks about how it was tougher in the old days but there were often games where the offense simply could not pass the ball moving toward the scoreboard endzone.  Of course that's when there was only 1 scoreboard in the stadium.  

Marv's first game as their HC was against the Steelers in November 1986.  The Bills won largely because Robb Riddick could grind out rushing yards and keep the clock moving in the quarters when they were driving toward the scoreboard end and thus eat up the time the Steelers had available to them when they were to move toward the tunnel end.

Here is a link to the box score of the game with some really ugly passing stats:

Bills/Steelers 1986

It says the wind was 27 mph that day.  I can't recall any game that has played like that since the remodel.  Often now the flags at the top of the stadium are ripping but the flags on the goalposts are barely moving. 

I was at that game - so long ago.  The winds were a huge factor. 

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Everybody wants to be Al Roker around here

How does a weather person even have a job these days? I pull out my phone and it tells me the current weather and forecast for every place I’m curious about. (My phone says more like 63 at kickoff, but I won’t nit pick.) I get to see the moving radar map. Where is it raining, when will it pass.

When Atlanta got paralyzed and embarrassed by a couple of inches of snow a few years ago, they acted like it was some crazy shocker of weather. No, my iPhone had snowflakes at 2:00pm. Do I own the only iPhone in north Georgia? 

Rant over. 

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I could see that. The current one I believe is about 3-4 times wider than the first one. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

How does a weather person even have a job these days? I pull out my phone and it tells me the current weather and forecast for every place I’m curious about. (My phone says more like 63 at kickoff, but I won’t nit pick.) I get to see the moving radar map. Where is it raining, when will it pass.

When Atlanta got paralyzed and embarrassed by a couple of inches of snow a few years ago, they acted like it was some crazy shocker of weather. No, my iPhone had snowflakes at 2:00pm. Do I own the only iPhone in north Georgia? 

Rant over. 

I agree. Even worse, local news is now about a dozen separate weather segments with 6 minutes of news and about a minute of local sports ( the only reason left to even watch ). I’m not even sure why they put this stuff on the air anymore, but the focus on weather is absolutely nonsensical. 

10 hours ago, Stallions said:

-SUNNY

-Zero chance of Rain

GO BILLS!

I found out on a tour of New Era Field the reason for the tricky winds when kicking...apparently most stadiums have 3 or 4 tunnels but ours only has 1 which causes the winds to swirl at that end of the stadium as it acts almost like a suction tube

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Bills/Steelers 1986

I think you're  correct.  It blew hard last week but pretty consistently toward the tunnel. Everyone seemed to handle it pretty well.  There used to me more swirling winds on the floor of the stadium that were difficult to guage.  

10 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Bills/Steelers 1986

I don’t remember who it was against, but there was a game about 10 years ago where the wind bent the goalposts at like a 30 degree angle.

edit: just looked it up. It was the pats, funny enough

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2008/12/28/bent-goalposts-wont-keep-bills-pats-game-from-going-forward/amp/

Edited by Chandemonium