Say Singletary plays and Edelman doesn't...

Hebert19

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cowturd is always saying only QB injuries move the line with Vegas.  I don't know if that is true or not.  But if the OP scenario is true and Edelman is out and Singletary can play it might move the line 0.5 points at most.  

1.Brown

2.Morse

3.Allen

4.Beasley

Then Knox or Singletary

IMO more like:

1. Morse

2. Dawkins

3. Brown

4. Beasley

5. Feliciano

then a bunch close together.

For comparison, Buscaglia's grades after watching every grading each player on every play, for the offense are:

1. Dawkins

2. Morse

3. Knox

4. Allen

5. Spain

6. Lee Smith

7. Zay

8. Beasley

9. Gore

10. Brown

11. Ford

12. McKenzie

13. Foster

14. Feliciano

15. Sweeney

16. Yeldon

... and those are all of the ones who had enough snaps. Singletary doesn't have enough snaps, which is what I think as well. We still don't know what we have with him, though it looks good.

21 minutes ago, ny33 said:

Singletary's strong performance on a small sample size can't be compared to Wade's legendary first carry and his 48 yard reception. Vanilla preseason gameplans and a less aggressive, lower tempo game speed, in the interests of minimizing wear and tear/significant injuries, have little in common with a real NFL game and offer little other than some indication of players' physical conditions. Major mistakes (Yeldon's fumbles) are somewhat indicative of regular season play, but there's no comparing two big plays in a lax environment to Singletary's promising play so far.

I think Beane cut McCoy primarily out of concern that Shady would take poorly to splitting carries with a 36-year-old and a rookie. Given what the team has shown in the standings and with regards to professionalism/team-first environment, we probably would have been substantially more dangerous with Shady in the mix. Money is never irrelevant, but there's no chance that the Pegulas valued the savings over a potential impact player; there had to have been concerns over fit in the split role/fundamental regression indicating that his play last season wasn't a fluke due to a rookie QB with a historically poor line and receiver/TE corps.

As for the OP, I managed to convince a Pats friend of mine to give me 9 points (obviously 1-1.5 more than any book, but a wager with a friend, especially  on a division game to stay undefeated, makes things even more interesting). This is the most promising team we've had in years, but the Pats have looked tremendous so far (Brady will always be Brady, but the defense looks elite after being weak 2-3 years ago). We have a chance if we harass Brady as we have under McDermott and win the turnover battle, but Josh needs to avoid the 3-5 "WTF were you thinking plays" that will lose you games (he's cut down substantially over time and is making major strides in throwing the ball away, just going down on a hit and protecting the ball, etc. that highlight his unusually rapid progress in fixing major mental flaws to his game).

What the Pegulas thought is not especially relevant in a case like that. They aren't heavily involved in cap decisions. And Beane's concern for the cap is deep, it's clearly very important to him, as it should be. I doubt concern over Shady's reaction was an important factor. I think they simply thought that the difference between the RBs with Shady and the RBs without him wasn't worth the $7 or so million they'd save by cutting him.

Edited by Thurman#1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

What the Pegulas thought is not especially relevant in a case like that. They aren't heavily involved in cap decisions. And Beane's concern for the cap is deep, it's clearly very important to him, as it should be. I doubt concern over Shady's reaction was an important factor. I think they simply thought that the difference between the RBs with Shady and the RBs without him wasn't worth the $7 or so million they'd save by cutting him.

IIRC we rolled over $3m from cutting McCoy, which is definitely material, but not likely to affect the way the team handles free agency and extensions next offseason. Our focus next spring is likely to be juggling extensions for underpaid vets like Poyer/Hyde, pay bumps for the offseason pickups on one-year deals who look like steals so far, and planning for Allen/Edmunds/Milano/White etc.'s extensions. If we can manage to mitigate our cap spend in 2021/2022 on the promising young core (heavy upfront money in 2020 for the safeties/Lawson if we extend, maybe), cutting McCoy will have been worth it, but I'm not certain how feasible that is. 

As for the Pegulas, I'm certain they would defer to Beane's decision, but I would imagine that potentially cutting the team's biggest name (borderline HoF whose 2018 performance was tricky to evaluate, though McCoy clearly is declining somewhat physically) would be at least noted to the owners ahead of the final cutdown (even if the Pegulas would always defer to Beane on personnel, likely that they and the marketing team etc. would want to plan around the possibility.

33 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO more like:

1. Morse

2. Dawkins

3. Brown

4. Beasley

5. Feliciano

then a bunch close together.

For comparison, Buscaglia's grades after watching every grading each player on every play, for the offense are:

1. Dawkins

2. Morse

3. Knox

4. Allen

5. Spain

6. Lee Smith

7. Zay

8. Beasley

9. Gore

10. Brown

11. Ford

12. McKenzie

13. Foster

14. Feliciano

15. Sweeney

16. Yeldon

... and those are all of the ones who had enough snaps. Singletary doesn't have enough snaps, which is what I think as well. We still don't know what we have with him, though it looks good.

Curious as to why you rank Dawkins so highly (I haven't paid as much attention to the o-line as I would like this season). I've seen more criticism of than praise for Dawkins' play this season from the fanbase and marginally-informed writers, neither of which is likely to be particularly unemotional/attentive to offensive line play, but am curious as to the discrepancy (great to hear if he looks much improved from a disappointing sophomore campaign to date).

Just now, nucci said:

what if he's ready next week?

It’s a soft tissue injury there is no definite test to say it’s 100 percent. It would be smart to be cautious at that point. He has always been out three weeks, that shows it was more than just a slight tweak. Give him the extra rest and get ready for the rest of the year. 

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

It’s a soft tissue injury there is no definite test to say it’s 100 percent. It would be smart to be cautious at that point. He has always been out three weeks, that shows it was more than just a slight tweak. Give him the extra rest and get ready for the rest of the year. 

so if he practices next week and is ready to play, you still want to sit him?

53 minutes ago, nucci said:

so if he practices next week and is ready to play, you still want to sit him?

Yep. If he isn’t playing today after three weeks rest that tells us all that it was more than a slight tweet. It’s a muscle which is easily aggravated once strained. Play it safe.