Schedule/playoff format suggestion:

Dkollidas

NO.  I love hoops.  I'll observe hockey.  But half the league making the playoffs should remain with those sports.

The NFL playoffs are exclusive and should be.  If one's team can't make the post season one's team should work to do better, Bills included.  And I'm not for more regular season games either.  16 is enough.  Football is king because of its urgency.  Limited opportunities makes each game more meaningful.

If I had carte blanche:

Week 18 (Franchise Bowl @ Superbowl Venue)
Each Conference, to stop tanking for the draft.

#13 v. #16 (auto OT)

#14 v. #15 (auto OT)

Winners play for #1 draft pick and auto franchise tag for their QB paid by the league.  Losers get picks #2 - #16, then normal draft.

Week 19

Each Conference
#11 v. #12 (auto OT) @ # 1
#9 v. #10 (auto OT) @ #  2
#7 v. #8 (auto OT) @ #  3

#5 v. #6 (auto OT) @ #  4

Week 20

Each Conference
To be played at division champions home field by the four winners of Week 19, whether they won or not. Winner gets a silver helmet trophy of the home field

Week 21 AFC/NFC Championships @ Superbowl Venue
Winner gets a golden helmet of the team they defeated

Week 21 Night Game: NFL Probowl @ Superbowl Venue
Winning team has two players eligible for single game roster addition of each conference champion, with best record picking first. You get:

• a meaningful Probowl
  • added star power to the Superbowl
  • a night game on conference championship Sunday
  • Home field advantage in the Superbowl
  • Which conference gets #1 pick from Week 18.

Week 22 Superbowl as usual, no bye before SB. Keep that fire burning!

Week 23 Ownership Game @ Honolulu

NFL retirees' draft a team of the upcoming eligible rookies. The winners get shares in the next team that goes 0-12, like Green Bay does, enough to elect representation in football operations.

I would move something like this to college, where you had auto OT and 64 teams. Final 4 get a bye, and you expand it to 8 games.

Also I want to see football:

• Get more of a club atmosphere. Sponsorships in public schools, and you get rid of the betting and make it buying equity into the regional club.
  • If you play a pro sport, you are eligible for military service draft. You can play for one of the colleges, or go into service. Not combat, you could build stuff or go into medicine like they do in the reserves. Just all that money, why does it have to just go to rich cut throats who then just give it to charity cases to be used against us?
Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

NO.  I love hoops.  I'll observe hockey.  But half the league making the playoffs should remain with those sports.

The NFL playoffs are exclusive and should be.  If one's team can't make the post season one's team should work to do better, Bills included.  And I'm not for more regular season games either.  16 is enough.  Football is king because of its urgency.  Limited opportunities makes each game more meaningful.

I agree with you, but the Premier League has a lot more games, and the sense of urgency is there. Granted they have relegation, split the season in half and have a bunch of side tournaments throughout the season. They don't have playoffs though, so regular season is super important.

19 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

With all the discussion we’ve been hearing regarding adding games to the schedule in the new CBA, and the playoff format as well, I figured to make a topic on it.

Honestly I like the schedule as it is now, except for having 4 pre-season games. It is overkill. But with regard to the regular season, it just works so well. Even number of games played, 16 games each in a 32 team league is nice and divisible. 

My suggestion would be to go to 8 playoff teams per conference, and get rid of the bye weeks. 

Bye weeks, in such a physically demanding game, give far too much advantage to the team with the week off. 

These teams are already getting home field against everyone else, which is also a major advantage in a game where crowds can easily make it hard for the road teams offense to make calls and checks on the field.

Currently, the league plays 11 playoff games. 4 Wild Card games, 4 Divisional Games, 2 Conference Championships and the Super Bowl.

Adding two teams and doing a traditional 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 setup in each conference would put the total at 15 playoff games. Adding 4 playoff games to the total. This would be huge for revenue with the ability to televise 8 playoff games per weekend. Networks would be going hard after that as ratings for playoff games are usually quite a bit higher than regular season. 

I think players might be in favor of this because it gives more teams a chance to win. Adding playoff teams and taking away the bye weeks helps level the field. 

The teams would like this because it adds revenue league wide from TV deals, and with more teams making the playoffs, I would lead to more teams having a chance at playoff revenue (ticket sales, merchandise and concessions, etc). 

The difficulty is that it is nearly impossible to show 8 individual games in a weekend.  The 4 games currently played allow you to show 2 individual games Saturday and 2 individual games on Sunday.

With 8 games - you are forced to double up and therefore you split viewership for at least 1 game on each day.  Drop 1 team from your idea and have 7 on each side with the top seed getting a bye and you have 6 games on wild card weekend 3 on Sat and 3 on Sunday and that works.

I also have no issue with adding a 17th game - especially if they do some neutral fields/large college stadium set-ups or some outside the US.

Edited by Rochesterfan

The only immediate change I’d make is to either get rid of Thursday night games, or at least set the schedule so that both teams would have their bye week the Sunday before.  That would at the least limit Thursday night games to just the middle weeks of the season. 

(A minor improvement would be where Division would have their bye weeks all on the same weekend.)

8 playoff games in one weekend would be terrible for league revenue. Not everyone can watch NFL football for 13-14 straight hours on a Saturday and Sunday, and that's what would need to happen to play 8 games in 2 days. They won't want multiple games played at the same tine because that splits viewership. 

IF a change was made, IMO, instead of adding a regular season game, and a 3rd Wild Card. Almost every year, on or two teams narrowly miss out on the post season, due to tie breakers, or simply one less win. Many of those teams finish with 9 wins, which isn't great, but could be a team that lost key players for a while, got healthy, won several late season games, but too little too late. However, even with a worse record, the team may actually be better (and even "hotter") than the team that gets in as the 6th seed. WC#2 hosts WC#3 to see who advances to what is currently the WC round.

17 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I've always agreed with this as well. I've always found divisions kind of pointless. Like technically I've always looked at it as, let's say one team in a division wins the division at 10-6 but they go 0-6 against divisional opponents and let's say another team in the division goes 6-10 but 6-0 in the division. Wouldn't you say at that point that the 6-10 team actually won that division since they won all division games? Obviously, I'm not saying that the 6-10 team should make the playoffs, but how do you call a team that went 0-6 in their division as division champs? I get they have the better record of the two teams but it makes no sense. I've always felt like for playoff purposes that the teams with the top 6 records in each conference should make it. Divisions shouldn't even matter in all that. So that means if you have a 9-7 team in the 7th spot in each conference and there's a division winner at 8-8 that the 9-7 team would basically take that teams spot which they deserve based on having the better record. That's why divisions should be eliminated 

Yeah but, has that EVER happened?

22 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

My suggestion would be to go to 8 playoff teams per conference, and get rid of the bye weeks. 

Bye weeks, in such a physically demanding game, give far too much advantage to the team with the week off. 

These teams are already getting home field against everyone else, which is also a major advantage in a game where crowds can easily make it hard for the road teams offense to make calls and checks on the field.

Totally disagree for exact reasons you mention.

I like that you're giving a big reward to the teams that actually played the best all season.  I prefer seeing the best two teams meeting in the conference championship games and the Super Bowl instead of some years having the 8th seed playing the 6th seed in the SB.

There's talk of college football expanding their playoffs, and most often you hear 8 teams.  If I were in charge I'd go to 6 teams and again award byes to the top two for the same reasons. 

Let the best teams meet for the championship.

As I have stated in the past; play everyone in conference like the EPL and PAC-10 do, 1 to 3 out of conference games as needed to meet revenue deals, and only 8 playoff teams per. Skip the WC weekend so that it’s a dog fight to get in. 1s don’t get a bye, sorry. If you feel they should then just play 1v2 and be done with it. An extra week off in the NFL is HUGE especially as the playoffs start. 

2 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

8 playoff games in one weekend would be terrible for league revenue. Not everyone can watch NFL football for 13-14 straight hours on a Saturday and Sunday, and that's what would need to happen to play 8 games in 2 days. They won't want multiple games played at the same tine because that splits viewership. 

IF a change was made, IMO, instead of adding a regular season game, and a 3rd Wild Card. Almost every year, on or two teams narrowly miss out on the post season, due to tie breakers, or simply one less win. Many of those teams finish with 9 wins, which isn't great, but could be a team that lost key players for a while, got healthy, won several late season games, but too little too late. However, even with a worse record, the team may actually be better (and even "hotter") than the team that gets in as the 6th seed. WC#2 hosts WC#3 to see who advances to what is currently the WC round.

What about WC4 who just had an unlikely bounce and played in a tough division? 

The only thing I would add is that a Super Bowl is, by far, the easiest championship to win among the 4 major sports in America.

Stanley Cup is, by far, the hardest.

Any system change that makes it harder to win a Super Bowl is OK in my book.

I'd love to see more playoff teams and more playoff games.