Advice needed: Dog got sprayed by a skunk.

gomper

51 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Tomato juice is a myth.  The above helps but nothing other than time will help.  Has to be Dawn too.  Also after the above, you can spray diluted Scope too.  2 weeks ago we walked Buddy at Fuhrman Blvd near Times Beach preserve and he got sprayed BIG time.  The worse thing is how to get it out of the car.  Even without touching it permeates everthing.

And they learn nothing as we go back to that area and Bud is making a bee line to the skunks burrow

Refer to the first reply in the thread.

10 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Summer's Eve Douche.  Never had to deal with this before but a friend who did, swears by it.

Ummm........ that must be some industrial strength stuff! I’m glad I never came across anything (other than my dog who got sprayed) that needed anything quite like that.  

Edited by Augie

Thank you all for the serious replies. Peroxide bath did help. GF discovered that bowls of vinegar helps suck in the smell. The house smells like a dream lol. Thank God I'm going to the game :). 

What a fun weekend! 

Go Bills! 

I'm sure you figured it out, but hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap do the trick...along w/ Nature's Miracle Skunk to finish it off. We had to do this a few times before I felt comfortable. We have a fenced in yard, somehow a skunk got into the yard and sprayed one of my dogs. Horrible experience on a cool morning. 

• Like (+1) 1

Petsmart  store product

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/grooming-supplies/cologne-and-deodorant/natures-miracle-skunk-odor-remover-12624.html

reviews  also

Then, we tried Nature's Miracle that evening -- meaning 12 hours after he was skunked. The stuff really works. It has the consistency of water and the 32 oz bottle was enough to get him soaked. We used a wash rag to do around his face area. Then, washed him with regular dog shampoo. There was still some lingering smell around his ears and nose. I went to Nature's Miracle website (the next day) and learned you can apply the supplemental coats with a wash rag and just let it air dry. No need to rinse or wash. That finished the job without having to wash him for the 6th time in two days.

Edited by ALF

I had luck with a lemon or citrus based shampoo, but had to wash him about 4 times before he was tolerable.  You could definitely smell the spray stink in the suds so I know it was cutting it.  Never tried the peroxide mix or pet store product.