Beasley's skillset?

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

With the way Beasley plays versus how Edleman plays on the field, does this help with the preparation of the Bills defense against NE this weekend? I think shutting down Edleman will be key to beating NE. Thoughts?

Beasley is nothing like Edelman...he can't hold Edelman's jock, and that hurts to admit.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Edelman has better speed and COD skills; Beasley has him in terms of short-area quickness.

But in the end, they share one common trait that makes a dangerous slot receiver: they understand angles and how to make defenders change their leverage to create space.

Does beasley win that? I don’t have it in front of me but relatively across the board it seemed Edelman was beating him athletically. Talking short area - it was drastic gaps in shuttle, cones and I think 10 yard split. 

No debate on the bottom half though. And to the OPs point - I’d suppose that CB can “scout team” some of Edelman’s moves decently for our defenders. 

I do like that the OPs returns to the thread have been 100% grammar related though

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

At a glance- at the combine cole was among the worst at cones and shuttles while Edelman was among the best. Just an example of how they diverge, and that while they both may be effective underneath receivers that how they get there could be a bit different.

i think it’s the kind of breakdown that would be fun for someone like cover 1 to do in the offseason

Edelman takes big hits and catches everything.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think playing with Brady has blinded people to ehat Edleman is.  He may be a better athlete than Beasley but for God's sake he doesnt burn you.   His yards per reception is exactly .6 of a yard better than Beasley over their career.    When you talk about touchdowns per season Beasley has Edleman.  The difference is really targets.  Edleman is targeted a ton and Beasley spent most of his early career as a 4th wideout.  Not saying Beasley is better at all.  But lets live in reality a bit when it comes to what Edleman is.

I think my statement was firmly based in reality. Edleman gets YAC because hes an athlete, Beasley catches the ball and falls down 50% of the time.  Edleman can take it to the house on you, Beasley is not that threat.  Is Edleman better bc of Brady? OF COURSE, but hes also better because hes flat out better.

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Does beasley win that? I don’t have it in front of me but relatively across the board it seemed Edelman was beating him athletically. Talking short area - it was drastic gaps in shuttle, cones and I think 10 yard split. 

No debate on the bottom half though. And to the OPs point - I’d suppose that CB can “scout team” some of Edelman’s moves decently for our defenders. 

I do like that the OPs returns to the thread have been 100% grammar related though

More of a reader than a poster. I saw your first reply as it related to the combine (Thanks). It was a good place to look as a comparison for numbers. Although it didn't look to me as such a drastic difference between the two. My initial question was would it help the defense to prepare for NE. You basically answered my original question in this post. Thanks again. 

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Has anyone shut down Beasley? 

No. That goes back to my original question. Does having Beasley help the defense prepare? As NoSaint responded to my question and probably in a better way. Could he be used on the Scout Team to simulate Edelman?

19 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

More of a reader than a poster. I saw your first reply as it related to the combine (Thanks). It was a good place to look as a comparison for numbers. Although it didn't look to me as such a drastic difference between the two. My initial question was would it help the defense to prepare for NE. You basically answered my original question in this post. Thanks again. 

Heres a good fast glance visual:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/julian-edelman

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/cole-beasley

11 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

No. That goes back to my original question. Does having Beasley help the defense prepare? As NoSaint responded to my question and probably in a better way. Could he be used on the Scout Team to simulate Edelman?

I think the answer is of course. He’s not the same guy, but anyone saying he doesn’t have similarities is lying 

28 minutes ago, NC Book said:

I thought you were getting at that they should have Beasley cover Edelman. I was like "this guy could be on to something.." 

Maybe Beasley could make his way onto the field in a Pats uni and sabotage from within. I don't think anyone would notice.

37 minutes ago, NC Book said:

I thought you were getting at that they should have Beasley cover Edelman. I was like "this guy could be on to something.." 

Sorry. I am more of an inside the box thinker than outside the box. Although, I wouldn't mind lining up Milano or Edmunds on the LOS and knock Edleman on his butt to throw off any kind of timing with Brady...

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Like (+1) 2

At the Cinci game last week I watched them trying to jump the quick swirl or curl routes for Beasley. Time for coach to get Beasley on that out and up sideline route or try a deeper slant or seam route. We need to stretch the field on the Pats and Beasley in the seam / stick route might be a way to do it. He has more to his game and maybe this is the week that Dabol pulls it out. I know he had held onto things specifically because the Past were coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Could he be on the scout team, yes. Will they do that, not likely.

The reason: the coaches have only so many practice hours, they dedicate that time to preparing starters for their starting job. They want Beasley practicing to be a Bufallo WR. It is unlikely they would change that.

But to your point.. Edelman and Beasley are allot alike.

20 minutes ago, boater said:

Could he be on the scout team, yes. Will they do that, not likely.

The reason: the coaches have only so many practice hours, they dedicate that time to preparing starters for their starting job. They want Beasley practicing to be a Bufallo WR. It is unlikely they would change that.

But to your point.. Edelman and Beasley are allot alike.

It wouldn’t be unheard of to have him emulate a few things in a practice. And just playing him day to day in practice probably helps a little too... but it cuts both ways and practicing against Edelman every day likely in the same way helps the pats DBs as much if not more as he’s generally bigger/faster/quicker 

Edited by NoSaint

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think my statement was firmly based in reality. Edleman gets YAC because hes an athlete, Beasley catches the ball and falls down 50% of the time.  Edleman can take it to the house on you, Beasley is not that threat.  Is Edleman better bc of Brady? OF COURSE, but hes also better because hes flat out better.

Again Edleman has almost the exact same yards per reception as Beasley and less tds per year.  As such your assessment that one can take it to the house on you and the other falls down isnt correct.

• Like (+1) 1