WATCH to appreciate how money Allen is in critical situations

4th Quarter.

Down by 3.

3 minutes left in the game.

Pressure in the situation.

Pressure from the DL:

2 plays later, because of ANOTHER scramble by Allen on a drive where he would account for all but the final yard, Gore punches it in for a 1 yard game winning TD.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This is why you never leave a Bills game early....

This year we have learned one very important thing - one thing that we Bills fans have not seen in a hell of a long time...

We have a team/QB that can come from behind and pull out a WIN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

4th Quarter.

Down by 3.

3 minutes left in the game.

Pressure in the situation.

Pressure from the DL:

2 plays later, because of ANOTHER scramble by Allen on a drive where he would account for all but the final yard, Gore punches it in for a 1 yard game winning TD.

This actually was a monstrously important play that contributed to the victory.  It pretty much went relatively unnoticed, his sheer will to fight through a clear tackle from a D-linemen who essentially locked up in close quarters combat and to break that tackle, then having an ensuing tackler just behind him after he broke that tackle who had a head start of momentum before Allen could begin getting going to have the acceleration that he did to escape that tackle and then show the outright speed to turn the edge (which isn't shown here) and outrun the defender who had an angle on him to then finish it off with a first run down was simply amazing.

Only 2-3 QB's could do that and Lamar isn't one of them. That was pure beastmode strength, the only one that I can think of is Cam Newton.   

Without that play, very likely the Bills lose that game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Great play by Josh to get away and scramble to pick up the first down, but it wouldn't have even got to that point with several other QBs.

He had Brown wide open on the left side line, but he seemed to be locked into his first read before the line broke down and he demonstrated the ability to get away from the lineman for a first.... would like to see Josh progress in going through his reads as the year goes on.

You may possibly be right, the encouraging thing about Josh is that he seems to be improving on just about all his weaknesses from last year.   My guess is that his progressions will continue to improve the most immediate area that he needs to work on his how he handles the blitz.  He is pretty weak in that area right now, last year he was a little better because his instinct was more singularly focused and he would run and it would punish the blitzers.  This year he is becoming more of a QB, which is having what I believe will be a short-term negative effect because he is looking to make the pass first and isn't making the right initial read and by then it's often too late to then scramble away from the blitz.   Considering what he has shown, my guess is that he'll overcome it.  

I said this earlier before training camp, the kid is a gamer.  Not just because of what he has shown on the football field in clutch situations but if you see how he competes whether it's in these outside football competitions such as winning tournaments among other football players in how far he hits the golf ball or champagne uncorking tournament, he always seems to win.  I know that sounds ridiculous but I see it as relevant in the fact that he is a competitor no matter what the sport may be.  That is a quality that big time athletes and winners have, which is to compete and win no matter what you do and that is something that he has.

So while you may be right that he could have made an easier play by spotting an open receiver my observation is more of a testament in his will to overcome a very difficult situation and to turn it into a positive that ended up leading to a victory.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

A good, big QB who is a tremendous scrambler/runner has a big advantage against tired defenses late in games.

That's basically how John Elway won so many games for the first 10 years of his career.

I've compared Allen to early Elway and he even has a similar receiving corps to what Elway had back then.

There were tons of critics of Elway for not putting up big TD or yardage numbers and subsequently NEEDING to come back late in games..............but one thing Elway could usually count on was opposing NFL coaches playing themselves into close games against Denver late and that's when Elway's sheer physical dominance could take over.

Things haven't changed all that much with NFL coaches..........most of them still get conservative or lose focus as play callers when they get leads.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Great play by Josh to get away and scramble to pick up the first down, but it wouldn't have even got to that point with several other QBs.

He had Brown wide open on the left side line, but he seemed to be locked into his first read before the line broke down and he demonstrated the ability to get away from the lineman for a first.... would like to see Josh progress in going through his reads as the year goes on.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. If you watch it, Allen initially looks in the direction of Brown and then starts scanning across the field. He ended up making a great play (and Brown did some good downfield blocking); however, Brown had 8-10 yards of cushion from the DB.

Allen had to be looking at Brown (at the top of the screen), because neither of the other two receivers on that side (one running a deep corner and the othe running a 7 yd out) were even close to being in a position to throw to when Allen looked that way.  Maybe a miscommunication? IDK.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Magox said:

This actually was a monstrously important play that contributed to the victory.  It pretty much went relatively unnoticed, his sheer will to fight through a clear tackle from a D-linemen who essentially locked up in close quarters combat and to break that tackle, then having an ensuing tackler just behind him after he broke that tackle who had a head start of momentum before Allen could begin getting going to have the acceleration that he did to escape that tackle and then show the outright speed to turn the edge (which isn't shown here) and outrun the defender who had an angle on him to then finish it off with a first run down was simply amazing.

Only 2-3 QB's could do that and Lamar isn't one of them. That was pure beastmode strength, the only one that I can think of is Cam Newton.   

Without that play, very likely the Bills lose that game.

Maybe Russ too...he is extremely slippery

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. If you watch it, Allen initially looks in the direction of Brown and then starts scanning across the field. He ended up making a great play (and Brown did some good downfield blocking); however, Brown had 8-10 yards of cushion from the DB.

Allen had to be looking at Brown (at the top of the screen), because neither of the other two receivers on that side (one running a deep corner and the othe running a 7 yd out) were even close to being in a position to throw to when Allen looked that way.  Maybe a miscommunication? IDK.

I think that view shows that he is going through his progressions, just didn’t take the first and most obvious one. Might have over- thought it really. That was a major fault of Manuel and one that I hope is not a trend with Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A good, big QB who is a tremendous scrambler/runner has a big advantage against tired defenses late in games.

That's basically how John Elway won so many games for the first 10 years of his career.

I've compared Allen to early Elway and he even has a similar receiving corps to what Elway had back then.

There were tons of critics of Elway for not putting up big TD or yardage numbers and subsequently NEEDING to come back late in games..............but one thing Elway could usually count on was opposing NFL coaches playing themselves into close games against Denver late and that's when Elway's sheer physical dominance could take over.

Things haven't changed all that much with NFL coaches..........most of them still get conservative or lose focus as play callers when they get leads.

It’s also very similar to how Big Ben won in Pittsburgh his first 4 or 5 years. He had the luxury of an elite d that seemed to always give him the opportunity to use his athletic ability and “clutch” gene late in games when teams were gassed.  Now I would say Ben was a more refined product than what we have but the approach is similar. 

In fact I remember always seeing a crazy stat of how awful that Pittsburgh’s record was the first 5 years  of his career when he had to throw 30+ times in a game.... people sorta forget how long it took him to develop into a capable gunslinger. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

IIRC, it was 3rd & 8ish. Brown likely wasn’t going to reach the sticks out there and is why he was left alone that short. Thus, lil Elway looked for a better option before carrying the team to a 1st Down.

Yeah, I wondered about that. That DB could close pretty quickly while the ball is in the air, and he'd meet Brown well before the sticks. Of course, it still might have made sense to give Brown a shot to shake one guy and make the few extra yards needed, since there was no other defender in the picture. But still, that is not a guaranteed first down at all if the DB comes up and makes a good tackle. Josh wanted more.

• Like (+1) 1

The most frustrating thing is that the reason we have had to comeback and win is because our offense has been so inconsistent. We have the defense and the offensive potential to blow teams out. We either start slow or get ahead early. We need to see a complete game from the offense to have a chance against the Patriots whose defense in my opinion has inflated stats from playing lesser teams up until this point. Our defense can only bail us out so much. We need to see that game from Allen that makes us go wow that's our Franchise guy, instead of flashes of greatness. If we get ahead we need to keep our foot on the gas and rack up some style points instead of letting teams hang around