Great Expectations

Mikie2times

My fellow Bills brothers, I'm born and raised outside Detroit. No ties to WNY. I have been a Bills fan since 1991, I'm 37. So 18 years of dedicated service. Understandably well short of many of you on these forums.  I fell in love with you and this team because they stood for what I felt I stood for, even as a kid. Resilience, excitement, loyalty, incredible devotion from the fans and then the glory of football played in that region with weather. You would be surprised how many of us are out there. As an outsider I can tell you I can't imagine what it is like playing for the Bills. On a national level, very little recognition (of course that comes with success) but on a local level, 1,000,000 Watt Light Bulb in a smaller market.

Prior to this season I made a post about expecting this team to make the playoffs. It was widely dismissed. Now as it has been with each year I have followed the team when we performed early, expectations are shifting. It's good keeping in line, our bar was set at 6 wins by the best sports brains in the world (Las Vegas). I thought it was a laughable number. That said I'm starting to see the complaints of our beloved team get more granular. Concerns that you would make if you had Super Bowl aspirations. This team is not at that point yet. If they win Sunday they are not at that point. They aren't at that point until they get to that point. We have reason right now for incredible optimism and excitement and I stand behind my playoff prediction.

Lets stay balanced. Let's not freak the hell out this year. Allen WILL do enough to let the defense do enough to get us to the next level. Then it's possible he can do much more than enough. Let's win a game in the playoffs then lets see what happens. I don't think any of us thought the end of our playoff drought was earned. We had better teams that didn't make the playoffs prior. This team is different. They're ascending, the rest of them were all teams that were flat lined. I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a roller coaster the next year or two but the start of some great memories. For the younger fans, something they never experienced. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Nice post and I appreciate your story. BUT I feel like I'm seeing this sentiment quite a bit and it goes like this; the world is not going to end if we lose to the Patriots and it doesn't mean Allen sucks. While I completely agree with the sentiment, I find it kind of unnecessary. Those of us who've followed this team in depth for many years are not going to be surprised (at all) if they lose this game.

I DO want to see progress over previous matchups. It would be disappointing if the Pats just come into OP and curbstomp the team. That would leave me questioning things a bit. All I really want to see is the Bills at least make the Pats sweat. A win would be great, but at least make it a game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Nice post and I appreciate your story. BUT I feel like I'm seeing this sentiment quite a bit and it goes like this; the world is not going to end if we lose to the Patriots and it doesn't mean Allen sucks. While I completely agree with the sentiment, I find it kind of unnecessary. Those of us who've followed this team in depth for many years are not going to be surprised (at all) if they lose this game.

I DO want to see progress over previous matchups. It would be disappointing if the Pats just come into OP and curbstomp the team. That would leave me questioning things a bit. All I really want to see is the Bills at least make the Pats sweat. A win would be great, but at least make it a game.

Also well said. We will compete Sunday, win or lose. Josh will stay on course with his gradual development. The "process" will be mocked by fewer and fewer doubters. With Josh we don't get a instant superstar like Mahomes.  We have to be more patient and let him learn....

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yep, I just want progress. We don’t have to win, which is obviously our hope. Look like we could hang in the AFC Championship. Win or lose I’m good and moving on. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have been reading comments from this site for many years but I am a first time poster so I apologize if I break any rules...  I have never felt compelled to comment as I do now.  Maybe it is due to the overwhelming feeling that we may have something here in Buffalo for the first time in many years.   I have read the comments on this post and I am struggling with the consistent message from some that you would feel good about this weekend if the Bills were able to compete and not get "curb stomped".    Imagery aside, this comment doesn't work for me.  As a Bills fan of the past 40 or so years, I am struggling because we have been there so many times before in our recent past and I am feeling like I will not be complacent in a near victory come Sunday afternoon because the feeling of almost being there is definitely worse.  I am harking back to the feeling of losing to Dallas on Monday night and the sickening feeling I had going to bed that night.....it took a while to lose that.  I guess what I am saying is we need to either win or shut up.  It isn't about showing up.  It's about proving that you belong and until we do that, I won't feel any better about this team than any other we have put on the field in recent post Kelly years.  The Pat's are definitely the measuring stick and this weekend is our test.  I guess the other piece I would like to mention is that a win is a win.  I don't care if we win big or win small this weekend.  If we win in any fashion, it will be evidence that this team is different and we have a chance to do something we have not done in years....compete for the division and make a run in the playoffs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bbfandom said:

I have been reading comments from this site for many years but I am a first time poster so I apologize if I break any rules...  I have never felt compelled to comment as I do now.  Maybe it is due to the overwhelming feeling that we may have something here in Buffalo for the first time in many years.   I have read the comments on this post and I am struggling with the consistent message from some that you would feel good about this weekend if the Bills were able to compete and not get "curb stomped".    Imagery aside, this comment doesn't work for me.  As a Bills fan of the past 40 or so years, I am struggling because we have been there so many times before in our recent past and I am feeling like I will not be complacent in a near victory come Sunday afternoon because the feeling of almost being there is definitely worse.  I am harking back to the feeling of losing to Dallas on Monday night and the sickening feeling I had going to bed that night.....it took a while to lose that.  I guess what I am saying is we need to either win or shut up.  It isn't about showing up.  It's about proving that you belong and until we do that, I won't feel any better about this team than any other we have put on the field in recent post Kelly years.  The Pat's are definitely the measuring stick and this weekend is our test.  I guess the other piece I would like to mention is that a win is a win.  I don't care if we win big or win small this weekend.  If we win in any fashion, it will be evidence that this team is different and we have a chance to do something we have not done in years....compete for the division and make a run in the playoffs.

Win or lose is a BAR not a measuring stick.

Growth is something you measure with a "measuring stick".  Maybe your child is not full grown yet, BUT you can certainly measure how much closer they are to getting there.

Neither the Bills nor the Pats have played a formidable foe this year. This match up will be an interesting measure of both (Bills rise and Pats decline).

Tomorrow, I am praying the game will be more like the Eagles/Packers game than the Ravens/Miami game.

All that said - I Billieve we can beat the Pats!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Your math is wrong (91+ 18 = 2009)  but hey agree on everything else

And 91, eh? One of those band wagon fans I see ?

7 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Win or lose is a BAR not a measuring stick.

Growth is something you measure with a "measuring stick".  Maybe your child is not full grown yet, BUT you can certainly measure how much closer they are to getting there.

Neither the Bills nor the Pats have played a formidable foe this year. This match up will be an interesting measure of both (Bills rise and Pats decline).

Tomorrow, I am praying the game will be more like the Eagles/Packers game than the Ravens/Miami game.

All that said - I Billieve we can beat the Pats!

Obviously we can. Just a matter of how frequently. 

I think we we are nearing the territory where you’d expect a split most of the time. Something like we win 4 out of 10 but that’s nice progress and if we sweep the rest of the division 5-1 would be huge as a jumping off point 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I certainly will not be surprised if the Patriots win; however, I also will not be surprised if the Bills win. IMO, they actually have a good team - a playoff caliber team if they do not beat themselves. 

Each fan can choose to approach this game how he or she chooses. For me, I believe they will win Sunday, and it seems I have done nothing on this board, this week, other than defend my belief that this team is absolutely capable of beating the Pats*. I do believe it and I feel it is an objective view based on what I see in this team.

But, I also have no problem accepting a loss from a team that is still growing, but headed in the right direction - and playing the defending SB Champions.

The world never ends on any loss and the season only ends on that loss that eliminates them from the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I certainly will not be surprised if the Patriots win; however, I also will not be surprised if the Bills win. IMO, they actually have a good team - a playoff caliber team if they do not beat themselves. 

Each fan can choose to approach this game how he or she chooses. For me, I believe they will win Sunday, and it seems I have done nothing on this board, this week, other than defend my belief that this team is absolutely capable of beating the Pats*. I do believe it and I feel it is an objective view based on what I see in this team.

But, I also have no problem accepting a loss from a team that is still growing, but headed in the right direction - and playing the defending SB Champions.

The world never ends on any loss and the season only ends on that loss that eliminates them from the playoffs.

Well, “they will win” and “they are capable of winning” are two very different stances. 

I think most believe they could but few think they are an overwhelming favorite. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

Well, “they will win” and “they are capable of winning” are two very different stances. 

I think most believe they could but few think they are an overwhelming favorite. 

For me, I think (1) they are capable of winning and (2) they will win.  They are different; however, I believe them both.

Also, "they will win" and "overwhelming favorites" are two very different stances.

I believe the former, but, do not believe the latter. And, I do not believe I have read a single post where anyone, other than in jest, suggested the Bills should be an overwhelming favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

For me, I think (1) they are capable of winning and (2) they will win.  They are different; however, I believe them both.

Also, "they will win" and "overwhelming favorites" are two very different stances.

I believe the former, but, do not believe the latter. And, I do not believe I have read a single post where anyone, other than in jest, suggested the Bills should be an overwhelming favorite.

I shouldn’t have used the the word overwhelming admittedly.... but I’ll say conversationally, most aren’t taking “they will win” as you putting a 51% chance on it. It doesn’t read like “man this is a really tight one but i think they squeeze out a win” 

And in the nfl anything that leans much past a coin flip is a pretty strong favorite.

To be saying that kind of statement against a team like the pats is a relatively bold stance even from the best of teams in the league. Ill add it’s not meant as a knock to buffalo from my end at all.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I shouldn’t have used the the word overwhelming admittedly.... but I’ll say conversationally, most aren’t taking “they will win” as you putting a 51% chance on it. It doesn’t read like “man this is a really tight one but i think they squeeze out a win” 

And in the nfl anything that leans much past a coin flip is a pretty strong favorite.

To be saying that kind of statement against a team like the pats is a relatively bold stance even from the best of teams in the league. Ill add it’s not meant as a knock to buffalo from my end at all.

I am not sure how anything I wrote could be misconstrued as a certain win. However, fair enough. To be clear, this is what I believe:

The Pats* are the better team at this moment, yet, the Bills match up better with them than people think. If the two teams played a fundamentally sound, mistake free (no critical mistakes - or the mistakes balance out on both sides) football game, it is a playoff caliber game and the Bills play with them - with the edge of playing at home.

So, I believe it will be what it should be, a tough, close game between good teams. Again, with the caveat that they don't beat themselves, I believe the Bills will win, outright, at home.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Well put.  I want to see the players go toe to toe with the Pats, and I especially want to see that our coaching staff doesn't get outsmarted and outclassed by Belichick.  I don't expect to win, but I expect it to be close.  If not, I have to start wondering if "the process" applies to McD and staff, who my not be better than average coaches.

• Thank you (+1) 2