Take the Ball if we win the toss.

JohninMinn.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Our strength is the D, not the offense.  So give the ball to NE first and let the D go out and make a statement to get the crowd going.

That can backfire, however, if Brady drives straight down the field and scores.

Could be pretty demoralizing.

I would still play the odds, have confidence in the D, and give Brady the ball to start the game.

Meh...the Giants marched right down the field and scored.

Look what happened.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Our strength is the D, not the offense.  So give the ball to NE first and let the D go out and make a statement to get the crowd going.

I would still play the odds, have confidence in the D, and give Brady the ball to start the game.

Don't put too much emphasis on the first drive of the game, then it can't be demoralizing if NE scores.

40 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Don't put too much emphasis on the first drive of the game, then it can't be demoralizing if NE scores.

If NE gets the ball first and drives for a TD, it will get quiet in the stadium very quickly, and most fans will be thinking "here we go again."  

Doesn't mean the noise won't come back or the team won't come back.   I don't expect NE to drive for a TD anyway, and would rather have the ball to start the second half. 

So for all these reasons, I would kick off to NE to start the game if we can.

Pretty sure I have nothing more to say on this subject.  :lol:

5 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Let's go old school.  Remember when the most important thing was to have the football to score?  This goes against the fashionable algorithm way of doing things but the Bills will be making a statement that shows a lot of confidence right away!

Buffalo 24

Patriots 13

Mathematically it means nothing.  It's all psychological.  If McDermott wanted to do that it's fine by me. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

If NE gets the ball first and drives for a TD, it will get quiet in the stadium very quickly, and most fans will be thinking "here we go again."  

Doesn't mean the noise won't come back or the team won't come back.   I don't expect NE to drive for a TD anyway, and would rather have the ball to start the second half. 

So for all these reasons, I would kick off to NE to start the game if we can.

Pretty sure I have nothing more to say on this subject.  :lol:

Hopefully we have better fans than that, but you're right, it may happen.

I just remember Bill Walsh saying he never told his team something like, 'we need to score on the first drive' or 'we need to stop them on the first drive' because, what if they didn't? Still a lot of game left to play.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That first drive could play out that way as Leslie Frazier is not the quickest with in-game adjustments.

That being said, he did do a good job of shutting down what the Giants were doing after they went down the field like a hot knife thru butter on their first possession.

We will see, would love it if we defended well to start the game, but sure ol' Bill will have that whole first drive scripted out pretty well.

Will watch and root for my Bills either way.

The only time you don't defer, and get yhe ball to start the 2nd half is when there may be a wind advantage (or sun, depending on the stadium in the old days) if you can the wind at your back in the 4th.   Otherwise... Always defer!

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

No but I'd rather have the extra possession in the 1st Quarter rather than the 3rd. I think it would help out time of possession.

Why wouldnt you want to have more time of possesion towards the end of the game? By then you know half of how the game has gone, and can plan your 2nd half strategy better...