Report: Jay Gruden’s job could depend on Sunday’s game vs NYG

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

You CANT operate like this after drafting a first round QB. You are suppose to develop your QB off mental reps??? Tell me how this strategy makes a lick of sense. Clearly other coaches give their #2 reps. Your GM drafts a 1st round QB you need to change how you run your practices. I mean come on, lets be realistic, how long does a rep take? GOTTA MAKE IT HAPPEN.

His job is to win games and get the team ready for the upcoming game.  It is not clear that other teams give the number 2 any significant reps - as a matter of fact - I keep hearing more from people saying Jay is the norm - especially with the new CBA.  The back-up players seem to typically get about 5% of the snaps or probably 10-15 during the week.

How many Reps do you think JA got prior to that first game last year.  It was part of the reason many people wanted him starting.  The starters get 95% of the reps to get prepared.

How many reps do teams get to take during a week - you are limited to a couple of hours of practice during the week and limited days and you are spending time installing plays for the week and teaching the starters what to expect.  He would be remiss to basically stop getting the team ready for a game  - so that he can give a back-up QB a few more reps when he is not playing.  Even then if he moved it to 50% - it is still very limited reps overall especially later in the season as they spend more time mentally preparing.  

Your GM drafts a QB, but does not suddenly mean the HC has a pass to not try and win. Jay is going to be gone anyway - so he has to focus on the team as it is now.  Once they are eliminated they can look to get Haskins ready.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Your GM drafts a QB, but does not suddenly mean the HC has a pass to not try and win. Jay is going to be gone anyway - so he has to focus on the team as it is now.  Once they are eliminated they can look to get Haskins ready.

Going to yoursl rookie can at least buy you some time. Either Gruden is dumb as a box of rocks or he has zero belief in Haskins ability as it stands right now. They are 0-3 and still not going to the rookie? It took McDermott ONE HALF to pull the plug. It took Giants two games, last year it took Browns 3 games, I mean 1st rounders routinely get inserted after bad starts by the incumbent. Now reports are if he loses this game he is done. Wouldn't have been the case if he turned to Haskins. Why not turn the tables on the GM and owner if it's true Haskins was THEIR guy. I'm not the only one scratching my head over this.

41 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Going to yoursl rookie can at least buy you some time. Either Gruden is dumb as a box of rocks or he has zero belief in Haskins ability as it stands right now. They are 0-3 and still not going to the rookie? It took McDermott ONE HALF to pull the plug. It took Giants two games, last year it took Browns 3 games, I mean 1st rounders routinely get inserted after bad starts by the incumbent. Now reports are if he loses this game he is done. Wouldn't have been the case if he turned to Haskins. Why not turn the tables on the GM and owner if it's true Haskins was THEIR guy. I'm not the only one scratching my head over this.

I don’t disagree with that.  I believe that the Redskins planned to try and win this year and the Haskins was not going to do that.

I think at this point they were looking at the first 4 games as a barometer and it is obvious they are not good.

They need to move to Haskins at some point and I think Gruden would like to get through the NE game - the ownership would like to go faster.

I don’t think Gruden survived no matter what - so to me it was stupid to draft a QB and keep the same coaching staff.  They should have made the move in the off season before the draft - just to get the familiarity and stability.

They will be switching everything this off season- so getting Haskins any time does very little for his future growth.

• Like (+1) 1

A personal experience with Snyder.  Right after he bought the team, the training camp was in Frostburg, Maryland (in the mountains of western MD).  They traditionally had a preseason scrimmage with the Steelers.  I drove to Frostburg on the interstate, for the scrimmage, and before you exited for Frostburg there was a massive traffic jam.  It took forever to exit and get to the stadium.  As you approached the stadium, you saw what the problem was.  The road was partially closed off because Snyder's personal helicopter was arriving at a field adjacent to the road. 

Norv Turner was the coach of the Redskins at the time.  The Skins lost the scrimmage.  I was walking across the playing field after it ended and saw a clearly unhappy Snyder approaching Turner.  I watched as he directed Turner to a little building along the side of the field.  They went in and Snyder slammed the door.  I guess Turner got an earful from this neophyte, controlling owner.  Little has changed.  The local press has been reporting that dozens of administrative staff members have quit over the past year, apparently because of the work environment.  You apparently have to be desperate to want to work for this guy.