Report: Jay Gruden’s job could depend on Sunday’s game vs NYG

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would love to see Haskins dad’s take over for AB as far as non-Bill popularity.  AB has cooled down...step up Father Haskins.

...LMAO...Snyder attracts the "fatherly figures"......RG II 1/8 had "Papa RG" right by his side chirping......

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Gruden's had some tough luck on that team. He followed a 4-12 debut season (an improvement from his predecessor) with 2 winning seasons. After a down year in 2017 (7-9) they looked poised to make the playoffs starting 6-3 before losing their QB (and then losing their b/u QB) to injury. Now they're paying a A Smith a huge chunk of money to rehab.

I don't know how much influence Gruden has over personnel, but it's fair to wonder if the reason for some of their draft blunders and personnel problems (i.e. mediocre talents like Josh Norman eating up their cap space) is their meddling owner. Snyder is a fan who thinks he knows better than the pros, and can't seem to help himself from overruling them.

He's the common denominator in Washington over the last 20+ years.

As a Bill's fan in NVA, I'm starting to hear that Jay is toast.  Good coach but dealt a bad hand, especially with QB going on rehab and meddling owner.  Hard luck for Jay, but it's happened before in NFL. 

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This is so dumb.  They've had five plus years to evaluate the guy and they're basing whether he can keep his job off one game vs. the hapless Giants?

I don’t think they are basing it on one game.  Similar to Fisher in STL/LA - Gruden wants the rookie to have as much time as possible and the owner wants to play him to have a shot at winning.  Gruden is dead man walking and now it just comes down to how long before they pull the trigger.

Much like LA - this will end with the coach being fired and the QB never looking ready this season - then we will see what offensive juggernaut Snyder tries to lure into his web to get the play he is looking for.

12 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Snyder decides most everything.  Who's going to stop him?

...hopefully NOBODY.......hate to see an end to "Boy Danny's Failed Fantasy".....he's tied with Jurrah on "my list"......find a better set of matching azzclown book ends.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

This is why you have a QB on your practice squad, to run scout team. Giving your #2 QB zero reps is VERY irresponsible as a coach, EXPECIALLY you first round rookie QB. When the hell is he supposed to get developed? On gameday watching from the sidelines? 

Chris Thompson talking about how long he has been in the league is irrelevant since all he knows is how Jay Gruden does stuff. 

15 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Can we switch the Patriots and Redskins in the AFC East and NFC East?

Please?

be grateful the Colts left the Bills division or it would have been Brady and Peyton giving the Bills an automatic 0-4 every season.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Gruden should hope so.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, thenorthremembers said:

I'd say this is a smart move, but the owner is as much to blame for this as anyone else.  They need to get a real GM again and start building their team.

Hopefully Marone and Shurmur wont be long after.

they need to get rid of Snyder.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, billsfan89 said:

Snyder is a frustrating bad owner because he is always willing to spend the money, much like James Dolan he wants to win but he can't get out of his own way to do so. If Snyder would just stop meddling in the teams affairs from a football perspective they probably would have had much much much more success in the past 20 years. Once again if an owner is cheap that sucks but you at least understand what is handicapping the team and know that winning isn't on the owners list of priorities. However if you are so thirsty for win but you are the problem then the solution is frustratingly obvious to everyone except the owner. 

thank God we have the Pegulas, they learned quick from their mistakes and let the football people do their job.

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

be grateful the Colts left the Bills division or it would have been Brady and Peyton giving the Bills an automatic 0-4 every season.

i thought the same thing back then.

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

This is why you have a QB on your practice squad, to run scout team. Giving your #2 QB zero reps is VERY irresponsible as a coach, EXPECIALLY you first round rookie QB. When the hell is he supposed to get developed? On gameday watching from the sidelines? 

Chris Thompson talking about how long he has been in the league is irrelevant since all he knows is how Jay Gruden does stuff. 

Chris mentions this because it is not true - he spent his first year in the league with Old school Mike Shanahan and it was the same set-up then.

Even Tasker mentioned it on OBL both on the teams he played on and the ones he watched as a broadcaster.  Almost exclusively the vast majority of the reps go to the starter - they have to get him ready for the game plan.  The back-ups get mostly mental reps or some scout team work because they are not given enough practice time under the CBA to develop both.

This would be especially true in a place like Washington where the back-up In Haskins and the starter Keenum are 2 very different stylistic players and therefore if you are starting Haskins you probably need a totally different game plan.

The limits in place by the CBA on practice and the need for coaches to win drive the issue with QB development.  It was talked about significantly last year with Josh Allen.  The team tried to give him as many reps in the preseason as possible because once the season starts the starter gets 90-95% of the limited reps - so it becomes a mental learning game rather than physical.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

How would that have been worse than what actually happened?

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Chris mentions this because it is not true - he spent his first year in the league with Old school Mike Shanahan and it was the same set-up then.

Even Tasker mentioned it on OBL both on the teams he played on and the ones he watched as a broadcaster.  Almost exclusively the vast majority of the reps go to the starter - they have to get him ready for the game plan.  The back-ups get mostly mental reps or some scout team work because they are not given enough practice time under the CBA to develop both.

This would be especially true in a place like Washington where the back-up In Haskins and the starter Keenum are 2 very different stylistic players and therefore if you are starting Haskins you probably need a totally different game plan.

The limits in place by the CBA on practice and the need for coaches to win drive the issue with QB development.  It was talked about significantly last year with Josh Allen.  The team tried to give him as many reps in the preseason as possible because once the season starts the starter gets 90-95% of the limited reps - so it becomes a mental learning game rather than physical.

You CANT operate like this after drafting a first round QB. You are suppose to develop your QB off mental reps??? Tell me how this strategy makes a lick of sense. Clearly other coaches give their #2 reps. Your GM drafts a 1st round QB you need to change how you run your practices. I mean come on, lets be realistic, how long does a rep take? GOTTA MAKE IT HAPPEN.

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

You CANT operate like this after drafting a first round QB. You are suppose to develop your QB off mental reps??? Tell me how this strategy makes a lick of sense. Clearly other coaches give their #2 reps. Your GM drafts a 1st round QB you need to change how you run your practices. I mean come on, lets be realistic, how long does a rep take? GOTTA MAKE IT HAPPEN.

It may not make sense, but it does seem to be the norm these days as far as the backup not getting any reps, or barely any during the week. And in Daniel Jones case, it doesn't seem to have hurt him so far:

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/08/the-mistake-giants-simply-cant-make-after-qb-daniel-jones-great-preseason-whats-next-for-rookie.html

• Awesome! (+1) 1