Bills QB Josh Allen becoming a must-watch player

MJS

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

I don't live in WNY anymore, but I can tell you that Josh Allen is not yet a must-watch amongst the average NFL fan.  He's not talked about much outside of WNY or the hardcore NFL media types.   People know of him, but they aren't fascinated by Josh Allen like they are Baker or Lamar Jackson...or now Daniel Jones.    If Josh looks great this weekend and the Bills beat New England, that will change. 

I can tell you this: At the bar where I watch the Bills, many Philly, Cowboy and other fans regularly stop by to watch a little bit of the game. Most every one of those guys is very interested in watching Allen.  And a majority of them really believe he will be something special.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Not yet. Now Mahomes is must watch.

Your that jets fan with the tiny hands, right? Yeah, you and Spags.. 

Josh always reminded me of Cam with a bit less speed (but still good speed overall) I think Josh is going to have some ups and downs this season but he is also going to be on a lot of highlight reels too. Hopefully they just let him rip against the Pats no need to be conservative on offense just play aggressive. 

Reality is that any Bills QB has to become a bonafide superstar before anyone nationally will take notice.

I'll be watching every game though and I assume anyone reading this will as well.

The eyeballs of non Bills fans mean nothing to me personally. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Reality is that any Bills QB has to become a bonafide superstar before anyone nationally will take notice.

I'll be watching every game though and I assume anyone reading this will as well.

The eyeballs of non Bills fans mean nothing to me personally. 

I don't believe that it true. Just takes consistently winning in the regular season and showing up in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't believe that it true. Just takes consistently winning in the regular season and showing up in the playoffs.

I think the TEAM would get national attention, but I'm not so sure about the QB unless he becomes a superstar. Allen's style of play is definitely fascinating whether you like him or not, but the Bills are one of those teams that won't get attention unless they really make noise. KC, Cleveland, and Buffalo. Those are the 3 IMO. KC is all of a sudden must watch because of Mahomes. Cleveland became an "interesting" team because of all the shenanigans. But you MAY be right. I don't know. The Bills just aren't a team that gets alot of national love. Then again, they haven't consistently won in a LONG time, so there's that.

How bout this? How bout Allen becomes a franchise QB AND the Bills consistently win so we can find out the answer!

44 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think the TEAM would get national attention, but I'm not so sure about the QB unless he becomes a superstar. Allen's style of play is definitely fascinating whether you like him or not, but the Bills are one of those teams that won't get attention unless they really make noise. KC, Cleveland, and Buffalo. Those are the 3 IMO. KC is all of a sudden must watch because of Mahomes. Cleveland became an "interesting" team because of all the shenanigans. But you MAY be right. I don't know. The Bills just aren't a team that gets alot of national love. Then again, they haven't consistently won in a LONG time, so there's that.

How bout this? How bout Allen becomes a franchise QB AND the Bills consistently win so we can find out the answer!

I think for the Bills to consistently win Allen will have to at least be a low end franchise QB, meaning a top 10-12 QB. Teams just don't last long unless they have a franchise guy if they rely on winning from somewhere else.

Elite defense, for instance, requires 11 starters plus whatever depth guys you use for sub packages. Hard to keep all those guys together over the years. But if you have a franchise QB you always have a chance.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think for the Bills to consistently win Allen will have to at least be a low end franchise QB, meaning a top 10-12 QB. Teams just don't last long unless they have a franchise guy if they rely on winning from somewhere else.

Elite defense, for instance, requires 11 starters plus whatever depth guys you use for sub packages. Hard to keep all those guys together over the years. But if you have a franchise QB you always have a chance.

So you essentially agree with me! I feel like we're playing a semantics game here. If the Bills are winning consistently, Allen will likely need to be at least a low end franchise QB. I suppose you could quibble with my use of the term "bonafide superstar." The main point I was making is that the Bills are the furthest thing from a glamour team. It used to bother me when I was in my 20's. At this point, I really don't care if they get attention from outsiders. I just want to see them win. I'm not in this for bragging rights or "respect." I'm just a fan.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To me right now the offensive line improvement in pass protection is a mirage.....Josh Allen and his ability to move is making them look better then they are.....

Which I expected at the beginining of the season...the OL has been almost entirely changed and need time to gel....but right now it is what it is

Great point.  It feels like the OL does a good job like 1 out of 5 plays give or take.  I think the talent level is there - Beane did a good job of revamping with what was available.  Should be interesting to see how they do after the bye week.  Allen does a good job of evading when he can.  He got great experience at this working with a horrendous line in college.

12 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

More like fun to watch, but still makes one cringe and grimace watching him.

Should the cringing and grimacing fade, then he might become a must watch.

I will say this....it does not matter the down or distance I feel like Josh can convert it every time he touches the ball

When was the last time we felt that way

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I will say this....it does not matter the down or distance I feel like Josh can convert it every time he touches the ball

When was the last time we felt that way

'When was the last time we felt this way' ?.....sounds like a love song.

Anyways, Allen is fun but not proven he should be anointed heir to the throne yet.

He will get his chance this year and I hope he does show he's the one.

Edited by I am the egg man

8 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

We ? I don't know you.

Anyways, Allen is fun but not proven he should be anointed heir to the throne yet.

He will get his chance.

Hey Egg face man, stop being so butthurt when your wrong. A blind squirrel can see he has been balling the F out since coming back from injury.

Ohh, he's riding the throne big time right now whether you want to believe or not. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

I don't live in WNY anymore, but I can tell you that Josh Allen is not yet a must-watch amongst the average NFL fan.  He's not talked about much outside of WNY or the hardcore NFL media types.   People know of him, but they aren't fascinated by Josh Allen like they are Baker or Lamar Jackson...or now Daniel Jones.    If Josh looks great this weekend and the Bills beat New England, that will change. 

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have lived in Los Angeles for 28 years now (born, and raised in Rochester), and I generally hear football fans talking more about Allen than any other QB from his class. Last season, it was all about Mayfield, and Darnold, in that order. This season it's about Allen, and Jackson, and how much Mayfield is crapping the bed. In that order. Not many people talking about Jones, or Murray, for that matter. That is my observation from the West Coast. You've had a different experience, and I know there's several LA folks on this site, and perhaps they have a different experience, also. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have lived in Los Angeles for 28 years now (born, and raised in Rochester), and I generally hear football fans talking more about Allen than any other QB from his class. Last season, it was all about Mayfield, and Darnold, in that order. This season it's about Allen, and Jackson, and how much Mayfield is crapping the bed. In that order. Not many people talking about Jones, or Murray, for that matter. That is my observation from the West Coast. You've had a different experience, and I know there's several LA folks on this site, and perhaps they have a different experience, also. 

I think the popularity of fantasy football has also made people recognize Allen as a legitimate QB. He's been a good fantasy QB since last season. His running ability makes him a perfect fantasy QB. People playing fantasy football know about Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1