Acoustic Guitar Advice

RaoulDuke79

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Flat tuning is one half step down from Std. Every string tuned down where E becomes Eflat, etc. It’s famous in many Blues & blues rock songs. Crunchier, earthier sound. SRV, Hendrix, EVH, Slash all play in Flat tuning.

One could even say grungier. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I don't think Hendrix did.  I know Van Halen didn't (except on occasion.)

SRV did, but he also used a relatively heavy string set (particularly the first string.)  That and the dropped tuning is how he got that fat blues sound with the wide bends he used.  

Hey Joe, All along the watchtower, to name a couple. In fairness, for all his brilliance, Jimi always struggled to accurately tune his guitars and his unique aggressive style took them out of tune routinely. He once famously asked if Clapton was in the audience. He was, and Jimi asked him to come up and tune his guitar. And yes, Eddie VH played a number of songs in flat tuning. He was far more into creating the studio sound than given credit for, considering his otherworldly playing skills.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

SRV did, but he also used a relatively heavy string set (particularly the first string.)  That and the dropped tuning is how he got that fat blues sound with the wide bends he used.  

Eddie Van Halen always detuned 1 semitone.  He's famous for that and it adds a lot to the famous Van Halen brown sound.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hey Joe, All along the watchtower, to name a couple. In fairness, for all his brilliance, Jimi always struggled to accurately tune his guitars and his unique aggressive style took them out of tune routinely. He once famously asked if Clapton was in the audience. He was, and Jimi asked him to come up and tune his guitar. And yes, Eddie VH played a number of songs in flat tuning. He was far more into creating the studio sound than given credit for, considering his otherworldly playing skills.

Yes, but neither Hendrix nor Eddie Van Halen did so as a rule.  Not like Slash or SRV, or Satriani in his last four or so albums.  

Virtually everyone played alternate tunings at some point.  Jimmy Page had example of tunings all over the place (Bron-Yr-Awr, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Black Mountain Side - open C, E-flat, and Celtic, respectively).  Neal Young is probably the king of alternate tunings.  Brian May used a dropped-D on Headlong (and Fat Bottomed Girls, as I recall), and I know an E-flat on at least one song I'm forgetting.)  Def Leppard recorded Photograph with a quarter-step drop.

Everyone uses an alternate tuning occasionally - it's becoming more common with "classic" acts nowadays (I have a vague recollection of Rush dropping their tunings a half-step in their recent tours, to accommodate Geddy Lee's aging voice.)  But the set of guitarists who use alternate tunings as a rule (rather than occasionally) is a far smaller list.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, but neither Hendrix nor Eddie Van Halen did so as a rule.  Not like Slash or SRV, or Satriani in his last four or so albums.  

Virtually everyone played alternate tunings at some point.  Jimmy Page had example of tunings all over the place (Bron-Yr-Awr, Hey Hey What Can I Do, Black Mountain Side - open C, E-flat, and Celtic, respectively).  Neal Young is probably the king of alternate tunings.  Brian May used a dropped-D on Headlong (and Fat Bottomed Girls, as I recall), and I know an E-flat on at least one song I'm forgetting.)  Def Leppard recorded Photograph with a quarter-step drop.

Everyone uses an alternate tuning occasionally - it's becoming more common with "classic" acts nowadays (I have a vague recollection of Rush dropping their tunings a half-step in their recent tours, to accommodate Geddy Lee's aging voice.)  But the set of guitarists who use alternate tunings as a rule (rather than occasionally) is a far smaller list.

You know, I stand corrected.  EVH used an E-flat tuning at least through Fair Warning.  1984 and beyond was mostly a regular tuning, though.

• Like (+1) 1

My EflatMinor tuned Epiphone is for playing JumpinJackFlash. 1st 5 strums and you know it’s exactly what Keef was doing on the original. Obvi, you can play great blues and Slide with it as well. Page created the tuning for the Rain Song. D’yr Make’r is in DADGAD.

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes, to your questions. Std, Flat, Open G/C/E/Ebm,DADGAD, 12strings In Std &OpenC, Acoustics in Std, Nylon, Octave (12 string octaves on a 6 string). Strats & LPs for lead & rythyms, Teles for Country/twang, Epiphones for melody. Basses. Mandolins. Ukes.

Leave the Ukrainians out of this.

’I got blisters on my fingers’ just reading this thread.  I am amazed at the talented people who visit here.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DC Tom said:

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Eddie tuned by ear on the first record and in most live shows.  It was always between standard and a 1/2 step down.  He tuned, then Michael Anthony tuned to him.  As they incorporated more keyboards, his tuning became more precise.

I just heard Sir Paul tell the story about Jimi looking for Clapton to tune his guitar yesterday!!

SRV played the ridiculously heavy E string (17) early in his career.  Eventually, he ended up using 13s, which are still far from cobwebs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Eddie tuned by ear on the first record and in most live shows.  It was always between standard and a 1/2 step down.  He tuned, then Michael Anthony tuned to him.  As they incorporated more keyboards, his tuning became more precise.

I just heard Sir Paul tell the story about Jimi looking for Clapton to tune his guitar yesterday!!

SRV played the ridiculously heavy E string (17) early in his career.  Eventually, he ended up using 13s, which are still far from cobwebs.

https://youtu.be/rwz7ZCU2HIY

14 hours ago, bdutton said:

I have a bunch of Epiphones.  12 String Celebrity, 6 string celebrity, Les Paul Ultra and a Sheraton II.

My favorite is the les paul but the 6 string is nice as well.

I bought them all on Craigslist locally (NH) except the Sheraton which I got in Darian Lake on CL for an absolute steal.

Get a used epi.  They keep tune really well and are inexpensive.  I don't think I spent more than 300 for any of them.

EDIT:

The Celebrities are Ovation guitars... not EPI.  They are great sounding guitars and also bought cheap from CL... $250 each.