NASA Satellite captures a black hole destroying a star

BuffaloBill

So how do they calculate the rarity anyway?  If this satellite has only been in place for a few years, and it already saw one example of this kind of event in one particular view direction, doesn't it make you question if the calculated rate of occurrence is way off the mark?

Or do we have enough information about all star and black hole locations, trajectories and movement speeds to reliably make the kind of calculations that lead to the "rarity" prediction?

1 hour ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

So how do they calculate the rarity anyway?  If this satellite has only been in place for a few years, and it already saw one example of this kind of event in one particular view direction, doesn't it make you question if the calculated rate of occurrence is way off the mark?

Or do we have enough information about all star and black hole locations, trajectories and movement speeds to reliably make the kind of calculations that lead to the "rarity" prediction?

Knowing the approximate frequency of supernovae and black hole creation, astronomers can estimate the number of black holes in a galaxy.  Then, knowing stellar densities and relative motions within galaxies, they can calculate the frequency of star-black hole interactions at the bulk limit.

It also helps that, in astronomy, "accuracy" is defined as "within a factor of 10 either way."  Which I always thought made the lab work easier...

On 9/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, I am the egg man said:

Wasnt it in the Disney Studios were they shot all the phony moon landings ?

This video looks like CGI as well.

?

The video is a demonstration to help people understand the science. It’s obviously not the actual footage. I just can’t deal with science haters. You wouldn’t be typing on your phone or computer without scientists like the ones you mock. 

12 minutes ago, Locomark said:

The video is a demonstration to help people understand the science. It’s obviously not the actual footage. I just can’t deal with science haters. You wouldn’t be typing on your phone or computer without scientists like the ones you mock. 

thanks Einstein 

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

Sorry but moon hoaxers just piss me off....I am so sick of conspiracy people trying to run this world 

I know, right?  All these people pretending the moon landing happened, when there really isn't any moon.  WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

On 9/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, I am the egg man said:

Wasnt it in the Disney Studios were they shot all the phony moon landings ?

This video looks like CGI as well.

?

Here's what it actually looks like to astronomers:

• Haha (+1) 1