Is Jason Peters the greatest Eagle of all time?

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Read the media reports at the time. People

thought the Bills won on that trade. Here is one article I just pulled up on google: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/323415-jason-peters-trade-looks-better-and-better-for-the-buffalo-bills

He then proceeded to miss large parts of training camp with injuries.  Then he was hurt in a preseason game and did not even travel with the team for a game.  The regular season came and Peters spent almost the entire season on the injury report and missed all or part of several games, yet he still made the Pro Bowl (that is another story altogether).

The games that he did play in told the real tale. He never looked at home at left tackle in Philly.  Sure he had a couple good games but when it came to stopping a quick pass rush from multiple spots he struggled greatly as was seen throughout the season and especially on Saturday night against Dallas.

Dude........c'mon.:lol:

Bleacher Report 2010 was a bunch of TSW posts made to look like articles.

Hence the author being "Kevin R".:lol:

I particularly liked the part where he compared Shawn Nelson to Tony Gonzalez and Dallas Clark.

"Read the media reports at the time":rolleyes:

The question that article raises is did Peters ever change "Kevin R's" mind enough to earn his HOF vote?  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dude........c'mon.:lol:

Bleacher Report 2010 was a bunch of TSW posts made to look like articles.

Hence the author being "Kevin R".:lol:

I particularly liked the part where he compared Shawn Nelson to Tony Gonzalez and Dallas Clark.

"Read the media reports at the time":rolleyes:

The question that article raises is did Peters ever change "Kevin R's" mind enough to earn his HOF vote?  

I can't disagree that Bleacher circa 2010 was of "questionable" reliability-- but I didn't do an exhaustive search of all 2009 articles. I do remember though that after the trade happened, there was chatter about Peters struggling. Here's another article, where peters himself basically conceded he wasn't at the top of his game: http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=240827

But that's not really my main point-- which is that Peters didn't want to play for the Bills. I just don't see how they had any other option but to trade Peters.

(By the way, I do find this debate over what happened 10 years ago to be somewhat entertaining. ?  )

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I can't disagree that Bleacher circa 2010 was of "questionable" reliability-- but I didn't do an exhaustive search of all 2009 articles. I do remember though that after the trade happened, there was chatter about Peters struggling. Here's another article, where peters himself basically conceded he wasn't at the top of his game: http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=240827

But that's not really my main point-- which is that Peters didn't want to play for the Bills. I just don't see how they had any other option but to trade Peters.

(By the way, I do find this debate over what happened 10 years ago to be somewhat entertaining. ?  )

I get that some of you had a hard time understanding Jason Peters' mindset in Buffalo..........but try to envision being a potential first round draft pick who dominates the combine and having your shitheel college head coach who had misused you and was pissed that you declared early then bad mouth you out of the draft altogether.    

So you go from multi-millions guaranteed to having to sign as a UDFA.

THEN your clever team hides you all summer to try to sneak you thru to the frickin' practice squad.......no guarantees, can be cut any week and only paid a few grand per week from game to game.......... when you should be starting and earning millions.

You finally force your way onto the field and immediately dominate but of course have no leverage in contract negotiations other than your performance.

How do you then handle signing to play at RT money and then being moved to LT a few months later(and dominate yet again THERE)?

You don't have to be a greedy sort to feel like you've been played by the system and then twice by your own pro team.

People have this idea that this was some guy who should have just felt lucky to have a job.............as Andy Reid said when he got him.........he was the "Peyton Manning of left tackles".

Since he got paid right in Philly he's been a HOF teammate..........that should say it all...........dude was sick of getting played.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Peters was very good and will be a HOFr after waiting a year or 2 but he was not unstoppable nor as good as Joe Thomas

He had multiple seasons in Philadelphia where he gave up atleast 6 sacks and a five sack season. Not to mention over 11 his last season here

He has probably given up 55-60 sacks in his great career, Joe Thomas , probably half at 30

Edited by Buffalo716

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Is Jason Peters the greatest Eagle of all time?
4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Peters was very good and will be a HOFr after waiting a year or 2 but he was not unstoppable nor as good as Joe Thomas

He had multiple seasons in Philadelphia where he gave up atleast 6 sacks and a five sack season. Not to mention over 11 his last season here

He has probably given up 55-60 sacks in his great career, Joe Thomas , probably half at 30

Ok.........doesn't necessarily take run blocking into account but to be clear not being the best LT of a generation makes it a tenable trade?

Well that means there is hope after McD traded Mahomes to KC! :devil:

But I forget......who was the team that traded Joe Thomas to Cleveland as he was entering his prime?

Anyway........Peters better hope the HOF won't stop accepting LT's after Joe Thomas.:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok.........doesn't necessarily take run blocking into account but to be clear not being the best LT of a generation makes it a tenable trade?

Well that means there is hope after McD traded Mahomes to KC! :devil:

But I forget......who was the team that traded Joe Thomas to Cleveland as he was entering his prime?

Anyway........Peters better hope the HOF won't stop accepting LT's after Joe Thomas.:thumbsup:

I don't think I ever said it was a good trade for the Bills... Just throwing out some info 

The man is a 2x all pro at the hardest position on the Line.. we screwed up royally

He was a 6'7 dancing bear who I believe I called a future Hall of Famer..  jus wanted to show all the people who were still sad he was human and did get beat

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Watt primarily played LDE last season. Clowney played RDE. 

You're right, I flipped it. Stupid. Sorry about that. I went back and corrected the post.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I get that some of you had a hard time understanding Jason Peters' mindset in Buffalo..........but try to envision being a potential first round draft pick who dominates the combine and having your shitheel college head coach who had misused you and was pissed that you declared early then bad mouth you out of the draft altogether.    

So you go from multi-millions guaranteed to having to sign as a UDFA.

THEN your clever team hides you all summer to try to sneak you thru to the frickin' practice squad.......no guarantees, can be cut any week and only paid a few grand per week from game to game.......... when you should be starting and earning millions.

You finally force your way onto the field and immediately dominate but of course have no leverage in contract negotiations other than your performance.

How do you then handle signing to play at RT money and then being moved to LT a few months later(and dominate yet again THERE)?

You don't have to be a greedy sort to feel like you've been played by the system and then twice by your own pro team.

People have this idea that this was some guy who should have just felt lucky to have a job.............as Andy Reid said when he got him.........he was the "Peyton Manning of left tackles".

Since he got paid right in Philly he's been a HOF teammate..........that should say it all...........dude was sick of getting played.

While I disagree with the first part of your post (a lot of the blame for his early problems falls on his own decision of staying as a TE in his first year as a pro, the minute he decided to go OL, he was simply terrific. Agree with most of this, though. He deserved the money he got, and Buffalo simply wasn't willing to give him what he was earning.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

If your main point was that he didn't want to play for the Bills, then your main point is wrong.

That has absolutely never been indicated in any way, and he even said he was really surprised to be traded.

Did he say that he expected to play the next two years for the Bills and be traded? Yeah ... because the Bills had made it clear they wouldn't pay the money he was going to get ... and did get with the Eagles. All the Bills had to do was pay, and he would have been thrilled to stay here. Everyone has always said that. 

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You're welcome.

No question Bruce played on a less sack-friendly scheme and against MUCH better OL.

You need more ammo?

The one OL that White had to play semi-often who was comparable to a great LT was Erik Williams of Dallas.............and in the playoff game where they met White was held to zero tackles.    Manhandled more than any game I ever saw Bruce play against any of the HOF level LT's he faced.    

White was a great player...........he could have played all 4 positions at a high level........but he wouldn't have been as good as Bruce as a RDE and Bruce would have gotten more sacks as a LDE.

White was the better all around DL but Bruce was easily the better pass rusher and the stats don't reflect that disparity.

There's no way to know how Bruce would have done at LDE. You get a TE over there chipping and double-teaming you much more than at RDE, and the QB can better see you coming. No way to know.

Bruce was a better speed rusher. White was a better power rusher, and a better all-around DE.

RDE has different difficulties, as you see more TEs and you also see tackles who might be less nifty but are more powerful. But there is a very strong argument to be had that if you want more sacks you should rush around the right-hand side. Look at the list of top sack artists. The huge majority played over there.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't know if I could fit him into the top 5 to be honest.  White, Bednarik, Van Buren have to be in the top 5.  Dawkins has to be up there, as does Tommy MacDonald and Norm Van Brocklin.  I'd put Peters above guys like Wilbur Montgomery, McCoy, and above Cunningham and McNabb.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:43 AM, soflabillsfan1 said:

I remember at the time of the Peter's trade I was so pissed at him and his agent.  I was happy the Bills traded him.  I and the Bills were totally wrong.  They traded away a HOF LT in his prime.  They were paying a guy next to Peters in Derrick Dockery nearly double and he never had and would never ended up in a pro bowl.  It was a classic Bill's blunder.  

Yeah I didn't even mention that in perspective to the Jason Peters story.

The Marv/Russ GM period set the franchise back nearly a decade............they couldn't even get anyone even reasonably qualified for the GM and HC jobs to seriously consider the opportunity after those two clowns made it clear that the organization was a dumpster fire.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/1/2019 at 7:41 PM, thebandit27 said:

A sack a game?

No.

Just no.

In fact, not even close.

That would make him the worst OT of all time.

In actuality, last year at age 36, Peters allowed 3 sacks in 16 games.

I definitely didn't complete that thought when I wrote it out. My mistake and thanks for pointing it out. I was talking about towards the end with this Bills. His last year as a Bill he gave up 11.5 sacks. He looked terrible after requesting all those pay raises.