Is Jason Peters the greatest Eagle of all time?

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Hmmm.... 

lets think this through for a minute...

Bruce would have had several 30 sack seasons if he had only played LDE...

tell me,  what was preventing him from playing LDE and setting unmatchable sack records?

or maybe, just maybe, the suggestion that he would have had 30 sack seasons at  LDE is simply wrong. 

3-4 Scheme likely suppressed his sack totals.  LDE In Bills 3-4 was more of a edge setter than pass rusher. 

It’s a fairly well supported technical football argument.

Don’t know about 30... 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Greatest Eagle of all time? It's between Reggie White and Peters. Reggie had 8 seasons of brilliance.  Peters now has 11 seasons of HOF play. 

Any old-timers I'm missing? 

I'm still leaning to Reggie because of a trio of seasons where he had 18+ sacks. Absolutely dominating play. 

I still remember his first season with Buffalo,  showed his athletic ability on special teams by blocking a punt against Seahawks.  I think he started as a TE and then was moved to LT,  one of the guys we should have kept around.

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Chuck Bednarik!!! Come on!!! LOL He was the greatest Eagles player that ever lived. Tough as an SOB.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That was an interesting question. I googled Eagles HOFers and came up with one guy I had virtually never heard of. Steve Van Buren. Check this out:

"INDUCTED: 1965 When Steve Van Buren retired from the NFL in 1951, he was arguably the greatest player in NFL history. Not only was Van Buren the best running back in the NFL, he shattered any rushing record the league ever had. In eight NFL seasons, Van Buren rushed for 5,860 yards and scored 464 points (69 touchdowns). He averaged 4.4 yards per carry and left the NFL as the league's all-time leading rusher and scoring leader.

"Van Buren saved his greatest performances for the NFL Championship Game. Van Buren scored the game's only touchdown in a blizzard at Franklin Field to give the Eagles a 7-0 victory over the Chicago Cardinals for the franchise's first NFL title in 1948. Van Buren was even better in the 1949 NFL Championship Game, rushing for 196 yards in a rain-drenched Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as the Eagles defeated the Los Angeles Rams 14-0. Those 196 rushing yards are still a NFC Championship Game (inherited the only NFL title game records) record. 

"He was named to the NFL's prestigious 75th-anniversary team in 1994 and was a selection on the Pro Football Hall of Fame 1940s All-Decade Team.

He was the Eagles first inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, elected in 1965.   'I've seen them all -- Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Bronko Nagurski,' said former Eagles head coach Greasy Neale to the Philadelphia Daily News in 1957. 'But Steve's the greatest.' "

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/ContentGallery/Philadelphia-Eagles-in-the-Pro-Football-Hall-of-Fame-120385491/

Another I found was Pete Pihos, who was All-Pro (not Pro Bowl, but All-Pro, considered the best at his position in the league, for six of nine Eagles seasons. That's dominant. He played receiver, but went two ways as a DE.

Sonny Jurgenson? Tommy McDonald? McDonald in one six-year period averaged 1.1 TDs per game, and that was when the passing game wasn't anywhere near as prevalent as it is now. Bob Brown, a first-team All-Pro seven times at OL?

In any case, though, Peters has been a sensational player and a historical Eagle. By all accounts a terrific team guy. Will almost certainly rank in that team's top five or six players.

7 hours ago, phillyguy1 said:

Steve Van Buren. Multiple league Mvp. All time rushing leader when he retired. Cornerstone of greatest era of Eagles football. Then White and Bednarik.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Norm Van Brocklin. The aforementioned Bednarik and Van Byrne.  And White tops them all.

Jason Peters??

Reggie White???

Randall Cunningham????

Whippersnappers, all y’all. These guys^ get it.

For me, Tommy McDonald & Steve Van Buren

53AD5EDD-5E85-4D90-B5F2-DE110B695433.png

1F403232-4708-4779-9B89-7FE77A873278.jpeg

58 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Never cared too much about trading Peters.  Having him on the team wouldnt have made Losman, Edwards, Fitz, Manuel or Tyrod any better.  

During the season that the Eagles won the Super Bowl,  Peters was out of the lineup by Oct due to injury. Many teams get to Super Bowl with less than stellar LT talent.  Heck even Arizona almost won one with Bills castoff turnstile LT Mike Gandy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Hmmm.... 

lets think this through for a minute...

Bruce would have had several 30 sack seasons if he had only played LDE...

tell me,  what was preventing him from playing LDE and setting unmatchable sack records?

or maybe, just maybe, the suggestion that he would have had 30 sack seasons at  LDE is simply wrong. 

His coach? Makes sense to me...

25 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'll throw in Randall Cunningham, Harold Carmichael, and Ron Jaworski.

For a time, another local product Bill Bergey was an excellent LB for the Eagles. Another great thing about Peters was that he was undrafted, making his rise to the top even more impressive.

14 hours ago, VW82 said:

Sometimes I still get mad about the Peters trade but I enjoyed EWood. Him and Richie and Shady were basically the whole offense for a couple years. 

But anytime you can trade away a HOF LT just entering his prime you just have to do it. 

Yeah!  Ask the Dolpins (L. Tunsil)!

14 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think Bruce has something to say about that...

Also lets remember that White played LDE going up against a much weaker right tackle in that era whereas Bruce did it against the premier left tackles in the game...

If Bruce played LDE and went up against right tackles he may have had several 30 sacks seasons and possibly 300 sacks...im not kidding.

In that era there was a stark difference between left and right tackles. Not so much anymore so it isnt that big of a deal what side a player lines up on. Not so back then. White had a much easier path to his sacks than Smith did.

Wow - 5 posts in and already off the rails.  The question was Greatest Eagle?
Though I too, am partial to Bruce.
Best Eagle goes to Van Buren, Bednarik, then McDonald. 
Reggie was there for only a few years and sealed his greatness in GB. 
Donovan McNabb was good, but such a jerk no one wants to give him any props.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

5 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Umm..Reggie was in Philly 8 years and in GB only 6 years..he also had 124 of his 198 sacks in Philly including his 3 highest sack total years...

• Like (+1) 1

Peters' averages about a sack a game and im not sure how great that is. I never thought he was that great honestly, but I might be biased by the exit. Bell the next year after he left was very good too. I'd still take a healthy Cordy. 

Edited by Trogdor

8 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

?? - He played 8 years in Philly and had 124 (!!) sacks there.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Peters' averages about a sack a game and im not sure how great that is. I never thought he was that great honestly, but I might be biased by the exit. Bell the next year after he left was very good too. I'd still take a healthy Cordy. 

You are biased. His 2013 season is one of the best seasons by an LT in the last quarter century. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, QB Bills said:

He's no Langston Walker or Derrick Dockery. How dare he ask for more money than them? That's why they shipped his fat ass outta here and into Canton.

Yeah, I watched last night and noticed how round he got.  He was a young stud while in Buffalo. Was a TE at Arkansas if I recall correctly.  The Bills converted him to Tackle and when EVERYONE saw how good he was and he asked for more money, Tom Donahoe and the Bills screwed-up the handling of his deal because they felt he should have shown more gratitude.  SMH!!  If they didn't want to pay him.  Fine.  But they traded away a HOF'er.

• Like (+1) 1