Is Jason Peters the greatest Eagle of all time?

Sometimes I still get mad about the Peters trade but I enjoyed EWood. Him and Richie and Shady were basically the whole offense for a couple years. 

But anytime you can trade away a HOF LT just entering his prime you just have to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

I think Bruce has something to say about that...

Also lets remember that White played LDE going up against a much weaker right tackle in that era whereas Bruce did it against the premier left tackles in the game...

If Bruce played LDE and went up against right tackles he may have had several 30 sacks seasons and possibly 300 sacks...im not kidding.

In that era there was a stark difference between left and right tackles. Not so much anymore so it isnt that big of a deal what side a player lines up on. Not so back then. White had a much easier path to his sacks than Smith did.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Greatest Eagle of all time? It's between Reggie White and Peters. Reggie had 8 seasons of brilliance.  Peters now has 11 seasons of HOF play. 

Any old-timers I'm missing? 

I'm still leaning to Reggie because of a trio of seasons where he had 18+ sacks. Absolutely dominating play. 

That was an interesting question. I googled Eagles HOFers and came up with one guy I had virtually never heard of. Steve Van Buren. Check this out:

"INDUCTED: 1965 When Steve Van Buren retired from the NFL in 1951, he was arguably the greatest player in NFL history. Not only was Van Buren the best running back in the NFL, he shattered any rushing record the league ever had. In eight NFL seasons, Van Buren rushed for 5,860 yards and scored 464 points (69 touchdowns). He averaged 4.4 yards per carry and left the NFL as the league's all-time leading rusher and scoring leader.

"Van Buren saved his greatest performances for the NFL Championship Game. Van Buren scored the game's only touchdown in a blizzard at Franklin Field to give the Eagles a 7-0 victory over the Chicago Cardinals for the franchise's first NFL title in 1948. Van Buren was even better in the 1949 NFL Championship Game, rushing for 196 yards in a rain-drenched Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as the Eagles defeated the Los Angeles Rams 14-0. Those 196 rushing yards are still a NFC Championship Game (inherited the only NFL title game records) record. 

"He was named to the NFL's prestigious 75th-anniversary team in 1994 and was a selection on the Pro Football Hall of Fame 1940s All-Decade Team.

He was the Eagles first inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, elected in 1965.   'I've seen them all -- Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Bronko Nagurski,' said former Eagles head coach Greasy Neale to the Philadelphia Daily News in 1957. 'But Steve's the greatest.' "

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/ContentGallery/Philadelphia-Eagles-in-the-Pro-Football-Hall-of-Fame-120385491/

Another I found was Pete Pihos, who was All-Pro (not Pro Bowl, but All-Pro, considered the best at his position in the league, for six of nine Eagles seasons. That's dominant. He played receiver, but went two ways as a DE.

Sonny Jurgenson? Tommy McDonald? McDonald in one six-year period averaged 1.1 TDs per game, and that was when the passing game wasn't anywhere near as prevalent as it is now. Bob Brown, a first-team All-Pro seven times at OL?

In any case, though, Peters has been a sensational player and a historical Eagle. By all accounts a terrific team guy. Will almost certainly rank in that team's top five or six players.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Peters was really, really good. White may have been the best ever. No contest there. 

White was either 1a or 1b  as far as DE is concerned. As great as Peters was, the popularity of the Defensive end era overshadowed Peters accomplishments.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Reggie White is the best D-line player ever.....so far. 

One would not be off the mark to say he is the Tom Brady of defensive players.

He played almost half his career in Green Bay.  

Almost entire career of playing LT for Peters was with Philadelphia. 

I would still go with Reggie White but I don't think it's as easy a call as some make it

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Greatest Eagle of all time? It's between Reggie White and Peters. Reggie had 8 seasons of brilliance.  Peters now has 11 seasons of HOF play. 

I'm still leaning to Reggie because of a trio of seasons where he had 18+ sacks. Absolutely dominating play. 

Steve Van Buren. Multiple league Mvp. All time rushing leader when he retired. Cornerstone of greatest era of Eagles football. Then White and Bednarik.

• Like (+1) 1

Greatest Eagle of all time: Glenn Frey.  I doubt Jason Peters can even carry a tune. 

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Sometimes I still get mad about the Peters trade but I enjoyed EWood. Him and Richie and Shady were basically the whole offense for a couple years. 

But anytime you can trade away a HOF LT just entering his prime you just have to do it. 

Saved Ralph & the Pegulas a lot of money 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

That was an interesting question. I googled Eagles HOFers and came up with one guy I had virtually never heard of. Steve Van Buren. Check this out:

"INDUCTED: 1965 When Steve Van Buren retired from the NFL in 1951, he was arguably the greatest player in NFL history. Not only was Van Buren the best running back in the NFL, he shattered any rushing record the league ever had. In eight NFL seasons, Van Buren rushed for 5,860 yards and scored 464 points (69 touchdowns). He averaged 4.4 yards per carry and left the NFL as the league's all-time leading rusher and scoring leader.

"Van Buren saved his greatest performances for the NFL Championship Game. Van Buren scored the game's only touchdown in a blizzard at Franklin Field to give the Eagles a 7-0 victory over the Chicago Cardinals for the franchise's first NFL title in 1948. Van Buren was even better in the 1949 NFL Championship Game, rushing for 196 yards in a rain-drenched Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum as the Eagles defeated the Los Angeles Rams 14-0. Those 196 rushing yards are still a NFC Championship Game (inherited the only NFL title game records) record. 

"He was named to the NFL's prestigious 75th-anniversary team in 1994 and was a selection on the Pro Football Hall of Fame 1940s All-Decade Team.

He was the Eagles first inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, elected in 1965.   'I've seen them all -- Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Bronko Nagurski,' said former Eagles head coach Greasy Neale to the Philadelphia Daily News in 1957. 'But Steve's the greatest.' "

Another I found was Pete Pihos, who was All-Pro (not Pro Bowl, but All-Pro, considered the best at his position in the league, for six of nine Eagles seasons. That's dominant. He played receiver, but went two ways as a DE.

Sonny Jurgenson? Tommy McDonald? McDonald in one six-year period averaged 1.1 TDs per game, and that was when the passing game wasn't anywhere near as prevalent as it is now. Bob Brown, a first-team All-Pro seven times at OL?

In any case, though, Peters has been a sensational player and a historical Eagle. By all accounts a terrific team guy. Will almost certainly rank in that team's top five or six players.

I feel like you just quoted Wahlberg lines from Invincible. ?

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think Bruce has something to say about that...

Also lets remember that White played LDE going up against a much weaker right tackle in that era whereas Bruce did it against the premier left tackles in the game...

If Bruce played LDE and went up against right tackles he may have had several 30 sacks seasons and possibly 300 sacks...im not kidding.

In that era there was a stark difference between left and right tackles. Not so much anymore so it isnt that big of a deal what side a player lines up on. Not so back then. White had a much easier path to his sacks than Smith did.

Hmmm.... 

lets think this through for a minute...

Bruce would have had several 30 sack seasons if he had only played LDE...

tell me,  what was preventing him from playing LDE and setting unmatchable sack records?

or maybe, just maybe, the suggestion that he would have had 30 sack seasons at  LDE is simply wrong. 

2 hours ago, VW82 said:

When you look at the fact that the Eagles were able to keep him happy all this time....you have to wonder if we were just screwing it up.

I dont feel as badly about it as others because I love Eric Wood......

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Reggie White and it's not even a debate or at least it shouldn't be imo.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/ContentGallery/Philadelphia-Eagles-in-the-Pro-Football-Hall-of-Fame-120385491/

Yeah.. great team guy alright. Anyone remember his infamous non block that got Losman blindsided. That was a non- block on purpose. This was when he was unhappy with the Bills and what he was getting paid at the time. Against the Jets if I recall.