Jerry Hughes versus who for the Patriots?

TigerJ

The Patriots recently lost their starting left tackle, Isaiah Wynn to injury for the year.  He's been replaced by Marshal Newhouse, who was not good enough to stick with the Bills, who didn't have a very good offensive line at the time.   Well Newhouse was limited in practice on Wednesday due to illness, and was out on Thursday.  That means Jerry could find himself lined up on a player who is not very good to begin with, and under the weather to boot.  If Newhouse can't go, the Patriots could move Thuney, their starting left guard, out to left tackle or start either of a couple guys who haven't been with the team long at all: Korey Cunningham or Caleb Benenoch.  Neither of them is very well regarded.  I can see why Tom Brady is lobbying the league to allow more offensive holding.  I hope someone for the Bills counter-lobbies the officials to call it when they see it.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

This is significant but remember Brady is a quick release guy.  He's not a scrambler and he doesn't throw it up for grabs.  Not to say Jerry won't get hurries and pressures, but if you have 2 seconds or less to get there my grandma could pass protect for this guy.   

Yeah. Was just gonna day this. The Dline should all have clocks in their heads this game for sure. They likely won’t get to Brady enough but if they all make mental notes to get their hands up at around the 2second mark, they’ve got a shot to disrupt him in other ways. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

This is significant but remember Brady is a quick release guy.  He's not a scrambler and he doesn't throw it up for grabs.  Not to say Jerry won't get hurries and pressures, but if you have 2 seconds or less to get there my grandma could pass protect for this guy.   

Yeah, but you're grandma's 6'2, 250

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

DTs and Nickel corner play will be critical toJerry Hughes' effectiveness.  While Jerry does win his share of one on ones with outside moves, the wins can come to nought when he gets too far from a QB who steps into the pocket. If the DTS can hold their own and funnel Brady even a bit to the outside, then Hughes will be so damn effective.

of course that is easier said than done against a QB who gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds. Brady's relief valve his whole career has been the quick short pass to the open spot. Jamming Edelman at the line is so important.

If the DL and corners do their job then it becomes a ground + RPO game and then Edmunds Milano come into play. And last years' awful run defense vs. Pats notwithstanding, I believe it still gives us the best chance of defensive success

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Don't even nudge Tom Brady without the ball, flags everywhere.

F THAT.  a few late hits early will knock Brady lady right off her game. Continued pressure will scare her like running out of tampons while on a beach vacation!!!! Imagine the sand!!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The Patriots recently lost their starting left tackle, Isaiah Wynn to injury for the year.  He's been replaced by Marshal Newhouse, who was not good enough to stick with the Bills, who didn't have a very good offensive line at the time.   Well Newhouse was limited in practice on Wednesday due to illness, and was out on Thursday.  That means Jerry could find himself lined up on a player who is not very good to begin with, and under the weather to boot.  If Newhouse can't go, the Patriots could move Thuney, their starting left guard, out to left tackle or start either of a couple guys who haven't been with the team long at all: Korey Cunningham or Caleb Benenoch.  Neither of them is very well regarded.  I can see why Tom Brady is lobbying the league to allow more offensive holding.  I hope someone for the Bills counter-lobbies the officials to call it when they see it.

UNLIKE most teams the Pats have the BEST Offensive Line Coach in the NFL.  He will have the line ready and Hughes will have 2 people blocking him and Brady will be doing quick hits to Dorsett and Edelman to tire the pass rush out then hit Gordon deep for a highlight real catch. lol or at least that will be the game plan. Brady needs less than 3 seconds get rid of the ball usually.. 

• Like (+1) 1

Found a website that keeps track of penalties:  www.nflpenalties.com

I'm assuming it's got legit numbers.

Pats were called for offensive holding two times in Week 1, three times in Week 2 and then once in Week 3.

Not sure anything can be determined by just looking at those numbers.

43 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

UNLIKE most teams the Pats have the BEST Offensive Line Coach in the NFL.  He will have the line ready and Hughes will have 2 people blocking him and Brady will be doing quick hits to Dorsett and Edelman to tire the pass rush out then hit Gordon deep for a highlight real catch. lol or at least that will be the game plan. Brady needs less than 3 seconds get rid of the ball usually.. 

Seems like a james white/edelman kind of game.  Means hands up for deflections on the defense.  The only issue with a NE offense like that is like, any incompletions or holding calls, or false starts... they all basically derail the entire drive.  

45 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Found a website that keeps track of penalties:  www.nflpenalties.com

I'm assuming it's got legit numbers.

Pats were called for offensive holding two times in Week 1, three times in Week 2 and then once in Week 3.

Not sure anything can be determined by just looking at those numbers.

I would say it’s below the team average to this point.  Now I also don’t think the Bills have had a ton of holding calls. I want to see it called the same for both teams on Sunday. 

I doubt they move anyone from the interior of the line to tackle. To me this would in theory make the interior of the line weaker. Brady isn’t able to scramble much at all anymore. Getting pressure up the middle is ideal. Jerry and then Murphy or whoever is on the other side need to keep Tom in the pocket.  I dare say Brady will be the slowest guy on the field every down. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975