Grade McDermott's 2019 performance

GreggTX

Sean McDermotts wee 3 grade  

195 members have voted

1. 1. McDermott's Report Card. Give him his grade to date.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

11 hours ago, Chemical said:

This is a big nitpick and obviously not "glaring" but after the Knox Rambo play we were in fg range. We should have been using as much clock as possible. However, the next two plays were snapped with 11 and 16 seconds remaining on the play clock. Those 27 second could have been HUGE for the Bengals final drive. It ended up not coming into play thankfully.

They also ran the clock out at the half against the Jets, 30ish seconds with 2 time outs I believe, down 0-6 and Jets getting the ball in the 3rd. Again they ran the clock down against the giants with 2  timeouts and 47ish seconds. I heard Sal Capaccio say that McDermott said the Bills defer the ball if they win the coin toss in order to try to get an extra posession. Sure doesn't seem like it.

If McDermott were a basketball coach he would be getting killed by the media for his team repeatedly incorrectly executing the 2 for one at the end of a quarter/half/game. As we all know one possession matters A LOT.

Having said all that he gets a B for this season due to the outcomes. He makes up for the clock management problems with good defensive coaching, but it's frustrating because it's such an easy an obvious fix.

The kneel down at the end of the first half against the Jets was 100% the right call. Josh's brain was absolutely fried at that point. There was no way I was letting him throw it again before HT because my trust in him not to throw another INT at that point was low. They had to get him in settle him down and go again 2nd half. 

The Giants one was more finely balanced. We were up 14 but had already failed to execute a 2 min drive and after a bad ST play had nearly had it cost us they were in scoring range when we forced the turnover. I'd have at least tried a couple of low risk plays there to see if you break something before deciding to kneel on it but I did understand the decision. Don't have a major issue with either of those clock decisions. 

The one last Sunday I agree with you on. While settling for a FG would have been a mistake so you still need to be aggressive there was plenty of clock left and they could have taken a bit more off. I think they felt the Bengals were on their heels and wanted to take advantage but I was looking at the clock on that drive too and it could have been handled better. 

12 hours ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Why does he get a grade now?    Incomplete.   

Did you get a grade halfway through a test in school?

3-0 doesn't mean squat. 

Another dumb thread from people with too much time on their hands.    We need Sunday to get here quick...

Do you talk to people like this in person?  I doubt you do.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The kneel down at the end of the first half against the Jets was 100% the right call. Josh's brain was absolutely fried at that point. There was no way I was letting him throw it again before HT because my trust in him not to throw another INT at that point was low. They had to get him in settle him down and go again 2nd half. 

The Giants one was more finely balanced. We were up 14 but had already failed to execute a 2 min drive and after a bad ST play had nearly had it cost us they were in scoring range when we forced the turnover. I'd have at least tried a couple of low risk plays there to see if you break something before deciding to kneel on it but I did understand the decision. Don't have a major issue with either of those clock decisions. 

The one last Sunday I agree with you on. While settling for a FG would have been a mistake so you still need to be aggressive there was plenty of clock left and they could have taken a bit more off. I think they felt the Bengals were on their heels and wanted to take advantage but I was looking at the clock on that drive too and it could have been handled better. 

I went back and watched the end of the 1st half against the Jets. I was mistaken that we had 2 timeouts. We used both of them on defense the series before. So that one was reasonable. 

and I agree with your take in the giants.

It’s the combination of these instances adding up to a general feeling that McDermott isn’t trying to squeeze every competitive advantage out of the situations that bothers me. 

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I went back and watched the end of the 1st half against the Jets. I was mistaken that we had 2 timeouts. We used both of them on defense the series before. So that one was reasonable. 

and I agree with your take in the giants.

It’s the combination of these instances adding up to a general feeling that McDermott isn’t trying to squeeze every competitive advantage out of the situations that bothers me. 

My knock on him is that he seems to lack the killer instinct.  I cannot stand the "play not to lose," mentality and it seems that whenever the Bills build a lead, they go directly into that mode.

I'd like to see them NOT take the foot off the gas and beat the crap out of a team until late 4Q. 

I gave him an A because the question for me is are the Bills 3-0 despite his coaching, or 3-0 mostly due to the buttons he's pushing? For me it's the latter, imho. The Bills D is playing lights out, he's gelled an almost total roster overhaul of disparate FA/draft pick additions in the offseason rather successfully so far, and ahead of schedule, and oh yeah, his QB has responded in a big way to the leadership mantle given him. A+ will be handed out as soon as we see the Bills play just as good in the 3rd Q as the 4th!   

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's only 3 games.  I give him a check + for getting his homework in on time.

Long way until final exams.

If McDermott defeats the Pats, then he gets an A for the first semester. If he does not defeat the Pats, he gets a B depending on how well the Bills play.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Warcodered said:

They talk about McDermott for a good bit on this.

Thank Christ for Brian Westbrook!!!! literally the ONLY person in any form of media that I've seen finally put some context into the discussion of the Pats defense over the first 3 games as he mentions how blatantly AWFUL the offenses were that they've faced.

Overall I think B+ is fair for the performance so far. It will be an A after 4 games if we are 4-0.

Team plays hard and for each other. There are no distractions. Defense is still elite. He appears to be pressing all the right buttons (yes, even the Knox "pat").

Things to improve: End of game and just prior to halftime decisions. Half time adjustments.

I havent been this sold on a coach since Son of a Bum.

I say “B” still early in the season, he’s doing a good job thus far.  

Go Bills!!!

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

My knock on him is that he seems to lack the killer instinct.  I cannot stand the "play not to lose," mentality and it seems that whenever the Bills build a lead, they go directly into that mode.

I'd like to see them NOT take the foot off the gas and beat the crap out of a team until late 4Q. 

I think as Josh Allen gains experience and confidence you might start seeing a more aggressive O in my humble opinion Gu.

Beating teams like the Pats or K C will require the pedal to the metal a full 60 minutes in all likelihood. 

Gave McD an A ...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

...look at it from a chronology perspective, starting where we were (or were NOT) at the end of 2016....2017 features a rook HC and an outgoing GM...hence not much to work with....2018 features a rook GM who inherits a cap situation with known parasites going through the motions......garbage was painfully put to the curb leaving limited resources yet the gang did their best to remain competitive......followed by the TBD cat calls to "fire McBeane...fire McDermott......our Owner is clueless...yada..yada".....their first 2018 draft together reaped rewards (you know the drill).....so far, the 2019 draft also looks fruitful as well as FA signings with more cap dollars available.....from where we WERE at the and of 2016 to now 3-0 in 2019 ASSUREDLY garners a B+/A- IMO......game 4 is a true test......BUT not a grade reducer....see where we are at the 1/2 way point.....

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...look at it from a chronology perspective, starting where we were (or were NOT) at the end of 2016....2017 features a rook HC and an outgoing GM...hence not much to work with....2018 features a rook GM who inherits a cap situation with known parasites going through the motions......garbage was painfully put to the curb leaving limited resources yet the gang did their best to remain competitive......followed by the TBD cat calls to "fire McBeane...fire McDermott......our Owner is clueless...yada..yada".....their first 2018 draft together reaped rewards (you know the drill).....so far, the 2019 draft also looks fruitful as well as FA signings with more cap dollars available.....from where we WERE at the and of 2016 to now 3-0 in 2019 ASSUREDLY garners a B+/A- IMO......game 4 is a true test......BUT not a grade reducer....see where we are at the 1/2 way point.....

I am hoping for the best. Especially in the 3rd. year of a rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I am hoping for the best. Especially in the 3rd. year of a rebuild.

....sure 2019 is on paper, but how do you feel about the progression OR regression starting with McDermott's arrival in 2017?....fast forward to 2019 three games in.....where do we stand versus the Polian era or better yet the post Polian era?....how do we match up with the Polian era versus the seventeen years hence?.....