Grade McDermott's 2019 performance

GreggTX

Sean McDermotts wee 3 grade  

195 members have voted

1. 1. McDermott's Report Card. Give him his grade to date.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

ball control is part of the game, when the defense is tired.

I gave him a B. just to motivate to work harder !
He has built one hell of a team and team philosophy. seems they are All buying in. and its a solid foundation showing the benefits already

never give up trust the Process, stay focused and do your job and good things will happen.

Bills currently, are one of the most focused team i have ever watched closely.

well done McBeanes 

Absolutely. The Bills can win a lot of games by just applying the principals you have outlined. Team work, staying focused, performing your role and playing 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

ball control is part of the game, when the defense is tired.

We've been outscored 17-3 and only possessed the ball 35% of the time in the third quarter this year.  The only team worse in the latter is the Dolphins.  What are you talking about?

Edited by Doc Brown

Roster management/personnel decisions (shared credit with Beane): A

Game planning/in-season strategic moves: C

This is the coach who started Nathan Peterman, not once, but twice! Both at times when the Bills were ostensibly perfectly viable playoff contenders. (Beating the Pats tomorrow raises this to a B just because)

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Agreed. McDermott's teams are those kind of teams that won't go away when you are playing them. You have to beat them soundly in most facets of the game. This team is just getting started, and like I said this whole process is happening right now! 

Don't disagree, but I'm mainly referring to holding on to winnable games. This goes back to 2017. At Atlanta and at KC come to mind. Picks on both last ditch efforts by the opponent. Last Sunday, we see the exact same thing. Tre picks off Dalton to seal the win. I'm conditioned as a Bills fan to expect the opponent to score in those situations, but his teams have changed that. I don't know if he's a top tier coach; none of can say for sure at this point. I do know that his teams don't fold late in the 4th quarter. As a fan, those are the worst games to lose. So I like the fact that I can have some confidence in those situations.

35 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Roster management/personnel decisions (shared credit with Beane): A

Game planning/in-season strategic moves: C

This is the coach who started Nathan Peterman, not once, but twice! Both at times when the Bills were ostensibly perfectly viable playoff contenders. (Beating the Pats tomorrow raises this to a B just because)

What haven’t you liked about McDs game planning in 2019 ? Last year’s Bills were definitely not viable playoff contenders. No way that OL was playoff caliber , neither were the WRs so can’t agree there. Peterman is terrible, but again the question pertains to 2019. 

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

What haven’t you liked about McDs game planning in 2019 ? Last year’s Bills were definitely not viable playoff contenders. No way that OL was playoff caliber , neither were the WRs so can’t agree there. Peterman is terrible, but again the question pertains to 2019. 

I see ... you're right, the question was limited to 2019. I don't have any huge issues with this year.

12 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I would say B+.

I think he’s a very good coach in terms of being a teacher, but I’m not sure I’ll ever like him as a game manager and his conservative philosophy. I’m still concerned that’s going to bite us later on with the season on the line against a good team. 

That seems about right. An A shouldn’t be given freely, and there are very few “ A” coaches in the NFL. McD May get there, but it hasn’t happened yet. 

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

3rd quarter play

which game are you talking about. The jets was i thought the reference.Mc D not doing a Bill b thing. maybe they should have remained in full court press each game.
 i was thinking one of the criticisms here was his 3rd quarter thinking. I am fine with walking the ball down the field and using the clock. sorry if  came off as stupider as i am

: )

5 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

They are UNDEFEATED with 2 road wins.  He gets an A. 

cannot  argue that. even though some will  : )

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Don't disagree, but I'm mainly referring to holding on to winnable games. This goes back to 2017. At Atlanta and at KC come to mind. Picks on both last ditch efforts by the opponent. Last Sunday, we see the exact same thing. Tre picks off Dalton to seal the win. I'm conditioned as a Bills fan to expect the opponent to score in those situations, but his teams have changed that. I don't know if he's a top tier coach; none of can say for sure at this point. I do know that his teams don't fold late in the 4th quarter. As a fan, those are the worst games to lose. So I like the fact that I can have some confidence in those situations.

One thing that I have noticed about McDermott is that he gets the most out of his players that he can. As a result of good teaching and fundamentals, McDermott has placed sometimes marginal players in a better position to succeed by utilizing their strengths and defining a role for them. Now in 2019, many of these players have matured even more. The Bills are becoming a good team, and good teams are the ones that can overcome scoring deficits and win the winnable games. In the first three games this year, the Bills are finding that out and winning games that they would normally lose. McDermott always has the team prepared and ready to play and it goes a long way in winning the close games. I don't know how I would label McDermott as a coach. Some say conservative, or are we mistaking that for being thorough. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

One thing that I have noticed about McDermott is that he gets the most out of his players that he can. As a result of good teaching and fundamentals, McDermott has placed sometimes marginal players in a better position to succeed by utilizing their strengths and defining a role for them. Now in 2019, many of these players have matured even more. The Bills are becoming a good team, and good teams are the ones that can overcome scoring deficits and win the winnable games. In the first three games this year, the Bills are finding that out and winning games that they would normally lose. McDermott always has the team prepared and ready to play and it goes a long way in winning the close games. I don't know how I would label McDermott as a coach. Some say conservative, or are we mistaking that for being thorough. 

Don't fault him for the decisions he made in this game either. It didn't work out, but I'm not blaming the coach. You have to be aggressive against NE. They showed a ton of grit and they're not FAR off. It's ridiculously frustrating, but the team played their blanks off. I'm furious right now, but I'll get over it. I'll have some negative comments about the QB, but he's a fighter. I'll give him that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Don't fault him for the decisions he made in this game either. It didn't work out, but I'm not blaming the coach. You have to be aggressive against NE. They showed a ton of grit and they're not FAR off. It's ridiculously frustrating, but the team played their blanks off. I'm furious right now, but I'll get over it. I'll have some negative comments about the QB, but he's a fighter. I'll give him that. 

It is frustrating, because despite all of the mistakes, they could have still won. No they are not far off at all...the gap is closing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

It is frustrating, because despite all of the mistakes, they could have still won. No they are not far off at all...the gap is closing.

What the team needs to do is let this sting for 24 hours and leave it in the rear view mirror. I'm pi**ed. I'm sure they're kicking themselves. But you let it go and move on to Tennessee. I'm trying to talk myself out of being annoyed, but it's not quite working. It'll pass my man.