Grade McDermott's 2019 performance

GreggTX

Sean McDermotts wee 3 grade  

195 members have voted

1. 1. McDermott's Report Card. Give him his grade to date.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Is this on McDermott or has he just gotten lucky in some close games? everyone was ripping him a new one after benching Tyrod and all last year when we were in salary cap hell. He's even been criticized for excessive clapping. Was he the right hire or not? Time for his report card BEFORE the Patriots get to town.

Personally, I think he has shown growth as a HC over the last 3 years and is better now at his job than he was when he was first hired.

Edited by GreggTX

Much improved. Frankly, he needed to step up his game and he has. Crippling Penalties are way down. The team seems always ready to play. He’s a smoldering fire who encourages the players. Obviously missing so far are the horrible blowouts that have plagued him his 1st 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 5

After 3 games? Really?

I think all the regulars here know I am a McDermott homer and have been for some time. I wanted him the year before Rex got fired. Other than his strange blind spot on Peterman (which honestly, and I might be completely off base, I feel was his faith infringing on his professional judgment) I think he has done an outstanding job in Buffalo so far. He gets an A from me.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

After 3 games? Really?

I think all the regulars here know I am a McDermott homer and have been for some time. I wanted him the year before Rex got fired. Other than his strange blind spot on Peterman (which honestly, and I might be completely off base, I feel was his faith infringing on his professional judgment) I think he has done an outstanding job in Buffalo so far. He gets an A from me.

I will say with the whole Peterman thing last year it was tough situation to be in. McCarron I doubt was all that impressive with him getting bounced from us to the Raiders and then again to the Texans getting replaced by Peterman twice. Then you're left with Peterman and Allen and sure Allen was obviously going to be the better choice but you have to remember the O-line became utter garbage this year. The first time they tried Allen out behind it in the preseason he almost got a concussion. Then the first two games are against the Ravens and Chargers I don't know I can kind of see the reasoning behind trying to stick Peterman out there to take a beating while you try and coach Josh up and hope the line solidifies some at all.

• Like (+1) 1

A... so far.

The Bills are 3-0.  The offense and defense both look well-coached and prepared.  They play hard.  They play together.  

McD isn't a genetic scientist so I don't blame him when the talent on the other side is greater than - and outperforms -  the talent on our side.  So far he seems to be getting about the most you can get from this particular roster.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I will say with the whole Peterman thing last year it was tough situation to be in. McCarron I doubt was all that impressive with him getting bounced from us to the Raiders and then again to the Texans getting replaced by Peterman twice. Then you're left with Peterman and Allen and sure Allen was obviously going to be the better choice but you have to remember the O-line became utter garbage this year. The first time they tried Allen out behind it in the preseason he almost got a concussion. Then the first two games are against the Ravens and Chargers I don't know I can kind of see the reasoning behind trying to stick Peterman out there to take a beating while you try and coach Josh up and hope the line solidifies some at all.

There was no reasoning for playing Nathan Peterman. None. Zero. Zilch. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From what I understand, the dude is the same guy day in and day out. Has a real methodical approach and works very hard to keep the team level, so they aren't getting too high over a win and not getting too low over a loss. It also seems they've kinda changed their approach when it comes to facing the Pats. We've heard it all week from players about how they're not doing anything different or special, they're preparing like they would for any other opponent and most players have been like, "They're just the next team on the schedule for us."

Also, last season I don't think anyone expected them to win six games. The fact that they had a patchwork OL, no real playmakers on offense and a rookie QB and stayed competitive in games, even when the playoffs were out of the question, is a testament to his ability to motivate. And people can bag on the culture stuff all they want but he's got this entire group playing for each other and understanding that no one is above the team as well as understanding their roles and responsibilities from game to game/play to play. And the dude doesn't seem like he ever "settles" for anything less than someone's best effort, and that's across the board. Players, coaches, etc. he's always got an eye on improvement even if it means moving on from a talented, well-liked, and respected player (i.e. Shady). 

I guess my only gripe on him might be some of the blowout losses. Those games kinda screamed "unprepared" to me. Or maybe it was an occasion where they just couldn't rally to overcome the adversity, I dunno.