The Bills have the worst backup QB in the league? Really?

BisonMan

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

I do think Bills’ fans overrate Barkley based on a single game. However, there is no way a lot of those QBs on the list, many who have never played in an NFL game, are better than Barkley. In reading that list, I’d put him above at least half of the names on that list. Bridgewater is likely the best but with such small or non-existent sample sizes, Barkley would have to be in the top 10, IMHO.

Barkley looked great in the preseason, and was in training camp, so he is fully indoctrinated in the offense.  He is top half, anyhow, imho.

Remind me tomorrow to get upset about this, 

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

First, who takes the time to rank the back up QB’s of the league? If there were any out there who could step in and win with any frequency then they wouldn’t be a back up. 

Precisely. I always say the Bills made the playoffs that year in spite of Tyrod, not because of. 

Writers will always look for underreported subjects, no matter how trivial they may seem or how poorly researched they are. Silly question. 

Barkley’s probably around an average backup. 

36 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Barkley was all set to be Dalton's backup but got hurt in PS. He was released with an injury settlement. As soon as he was healthy, the Bills picked him

He was getting beat out for the job. He was going to be cut if he didnt get hurt. Back ups are mostly what they are - guys most teams hope does not start. Some teams have back ups that were in the mix to be starter, some have guys that were starters. Barkley for many years now has not been in any conversation about being an nfl starter. Decent back up to have but if Allen went down long term I would hope the bills explore other options. 

I'm comfortable with Barkley as backup, it's hard to judge backups really.  But it's interesting how many Bills fans react to him. He's played 1 game for us, and did well, but that's it. Other than that , his career hasn't been any good. I didn't read the article but i'll have to assume they are basing the rankings , in part, on the players entire career, which in Barkley's case isn't any good up until now.

But it's a silly exercise in ranking players that rarely play, rarely practice with first teamer's, don't have game plans made around their strengths....

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I didn’t click on it. Not giving USA Today anymore than it deserves. Honesty if they even glanced at Barkley’s stats from last year they would see he is a capable backup. I’d dare say Barkley is the perfect backup for this team and Allen. Barkley seems to be comfortable with the role and enjoys the team and city. Barkley is at the place where he realizes he can hang around for another 7-10 years as a back up. Heck Barkley can be Josh’s ‘ Frank Reich’. 

Barkley knows this system better than anybody and if called upon, he can play within the limits of said system.

I really don't wanna see Barkley play though.

Here is to keeping Allen healthy the rest of his career. ?

• Like (+1) 1

No issue with Tyrod at 3. He has a winning record as a QB, went to the playoffs and never turns it over. I’m not sure how anyone could object to that being near the top of the league for a #2?

Barkley below Geno is bad. I actually think Barkley is a little overrated by us and WAY underrated around the country. He’s a middle of the road backup at this point and seems to be ascending IMO. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No issue with Tyrod at 3. He has a winning record as a QB, went to the playoffs and never turns it over. I’m not sure how anyone could object to that being near the top of the league for a #2?

Barkley below Geno is bad IMO. I actually think Barkley is a little overrated by us and WAY underrated around the country. He’s a middle of the road backup at this point and seems to be ascending IMO. 

And lost his starting job twice.  (Thrice?)

Once for a 5 INT Nate Peterman!!!

that's how bad it was!!!

To Rookies no less. 

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

And lost his starting job twice.  (Thrice?)

Once for a 5 INT Nate Peterman!!!

that's how bad it was!!!

To Rookies no less. 

Without being rude that’s a pretty stupid take. He has a winning record with like a 45 game sample size!! Outside of Eli I don’t think there’s a guy on the list that boasts that resume. He scores 2 or 3 times as often as he turns it over!! He is ABSOLUTELY near the top of the league as a backup. Anyone that argues otherwise is arguing with their heart.

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Without being rude that’s a pretty stupid take. He has a winning record with like a 45 game sample size!! Outside of Eli I don’t think there’s a guy on the list that boasts that resume. He scores 2 or 3 times as often as he turns it over!! He is ABSOLUTELY near the top of the league as a backup. Anyone that argues otherwise is arguing with their heart.

Without being rude, (seriously) IMO giving Tyrod too much credit is a stupid take as well.