The Bills have the worst backup QB in the league? Really?

BisonMan

I didn’t click on it. Not giving USA Today anymore than it deserves. Honesty if they even glanced at Barkley’s stats from last year they would see he is a capable backup. I’d dare say Barkley is the perfect backup for this team and Allen. Barkley seems to be comfortable with the role and enjoys the team and city. Barkley is at the place where he realizes he can hang around for another 7-10 years as a back up. Heck Barkley can be Josh’s ‘ Frank Reich’. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

“But still better than Matt barkley”

makes no sense

This guy won his last game - the 10 in front of him haven't played one in like 5+ years.  I honestly think he forgot about him so he wrote something negative.

I think backup QBs have a few different roles.  There's the clipboard/coaching piece, the spot game where you didn't prepare, and extended stretches.  

I like Barkley for the first 2 - the 3rd one would likely be ok at first and tail off as teams game planned for him.

Edited by dneveu

Somewhere in the 14-18 range for Barkley seems about right if evaluating strictly play on the field which is what the list focuses on. He is very valuable off the field as Allen's mentor, may be top 5 for that. I'd take him as a mentor over Manning, Bortles, Tyrod. 

We definitely over value Barkley. I dont mind him as a back up but remember he was sitting on a couch last year and was like the 6th guy the Bills called and one that not many other teams were calling. If the Bills cut him not sure how many other teams would drop their back up to pick him up... 

13 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

This guy is an idiot. He has AJ McCarron at 15 and he couldn't even make it as the Bill's 3rd stringer last year. Sadly, this guy collects a check for this crap. 

AJM was traded for a pick. Barkley didnt have a job. Lets be real. 

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We definitely over value Barkley. I dont mind him as a back up but remember he was sitting on a couch last year and was like the 6th guy the Bills called and one that not many other teams were calling. If the Bills cut him not sure how many other teams would drop their back up to pick him up... 

Overvaluing him is one thing ... but he’s not the worst backup in the league. He also wasn’t “sitting on his couch”... the Bills signed him right after he was medically cleared to play; he was released with an injury designation from the Bengals. He literally was not able to sign anywhere before he was cleared. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Overvaluing him is one thing ... but he’s not the worst backup in the league. He also wasn’t “sitting on his couch”... the Bills signed him right after he was medically cleared to play; he was released with an injury designation from the Bengals. He literally was not able to sign anywhere before he was cleared. 

Agree not the worst. But Bills fans do think he is better than he is. He would not be a starter on other teams and not many would want him as their back up. 

And yes he was sitting on his couch when the Bills came looking. He said only the Bills reached out. 

Barkley was on an NFL roster during the preseason. He was with the Bengals and even played against Bills during the exhibition season. As things went, he was eventually released via injury settlement. After recovering, Barkley wanted back in the NFL.

Too bad nobody wanted him. Until the Bills came calling.