Lee Smith

I heard Lee Smith on WGR this morning, really impressed by his interview.  I know his comments to Josh are being discussed on different threads on here from Sunday as well, but if you didn't hear him this morning it's worth the listen.  I was very meh about him when we brought him back, but he seems like a solid player and great locker room guy to have for the younger guys to learn from.

• Like (+1) 9

He's a guy that's here for more than just on-field stuff. People like to get down on any players who aren't lighting up the stat sheet and wanna send them packing five minutes after they arrive. But guys like Smith, Pat DiMarco, etc. might not have a huge role on the field but they have major roles as locker room leaders and as guys who the coaches want other players to look at and emulate how they approach the game. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Lee Smith is a solid blocker and a great mentor to the younger players.  Definitely a process guy.

He's just not a productive pass catcher.  I'm glad he's on the team but we need a TE that creates problems for defenses.  

image.jpeg.1a72850f81600e5f8383dd679492a50e.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Lee Smith is a solid blocker and a great mentor to the younger players.  Definitely a process guy.

He's just not a productive pass catcher.  I'm glad he's on the team but we need a TE that creates problems for defenses.  

He made a great catch in the second game, although I believe he dropped one early in the Bengals game.

Yes, it’s all so amazing. Our GM and Coach are building a football team. Imagine that, every player on a team has a role. Why? Because not everyone can score a touchdown on every play. Not everyone can record a pick or a sack on every play.

There’s more to a successful team than the stat sheet. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Josh Allen mic’d up video shows that Smith is the guy who goes over after the bad pick and says it was on all of us. He screams culture and process.

It wasn't true though. That was on Josh. :D

Imagine in the film session when McD and Daboll are yelling "You just can't do that! Throw it away!" and Josh says "No! It wasn't me! That's on all ten of those other guys, too! Maybe 45 or even 52 of them!"

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

He's never going to make a play like Knox did last week, but he has caught at least one pass already to move the sticks. He may be out there to block 90% of the time, but sometimes that means when he runs a route the defense won't be ready for it. 

I remember years back when he signed a decent contract with the Raiders almost everyone was like "why would anyone pay him to be on their roster," but I think now we're all seeing why. He is a mauler and a great locker room guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Imagine in the film session when McD and Daboll are yelling "You just can't do that! Throw it away!" and Josh says "No! It wasn't me! That's on all ten of those other guys, too! Maybe 45 or even 52 of them!"

I think Lee was saying that they have to block better on that play too. Of course he cant throw that up for grabs, but wouldnt have had to do that if they gave him some more time. Thats a team first comment from Lee. Everyone knows they have to get better if they want to keep on winning.

10 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I think Lee was saying that they have to block better on that play too. Of course he cant throw that up for grabs, but wouldnt have had to do that if they gave him some more time. Thats a team first comment from Lee. Everyone knows they have to get better if they want to keep on winning.

I understand. I thought it was great he said it. But regardless of the blocking, when he is in that situation he can't throw it up for grabs as he is being brought down. It's indefensible, except, of course, by the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Lee said, "...you're not a 'me kind of guy' when you're playing great, don't be a 'me kind of guy' when you're playing bad".  "It's all US".

Great advice by a vet to a young guy after a boneheaded play.  Lee was also the first to give Josh a bear hug after the Gore TD.

That's a "teammate' in my old man playbook.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Lee said, "...you're not a 'me kind of guy' when you're playing great, don't be a 'me kind of guy' when you're playing bad".  "It's all US".

Great advice by a vet to a young guy after a boneheaded play.  Lee was also the first to give Josh a bear hug after the Gore TD.

That's a "teammate' in my old man playbook.

Everyone seems to leave out the first part which to me is the best part

"I love you like a little brother"

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We may just have that in Knox. Lee has an important role- he is tough and smashes people run blocking. We will like him more when Devin gets to the second level throughout the season.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Process hater