When 3-0 Isn't Really 3-0

theRalph

Yes the Bills can win. But to say our 3-0 looks better than the Pats 3-0 based on the eye test is absurd. The Pats are dominating right now. The Bills have barely sqeaked by. The Bills could be 0-3 with a few bad breaks, while all the Pats games are not even close.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Pretty much this.  I think for the first time since the arrival of Brady and Belichick in NE, the Bills actually have comparable talent to the Pats throughout the roster.  Unfortunately, they aren't in the same league with NE at QB and HC.   Probably no other team is, either.  A few teams over the years have had good enough coaching and/or QB play and/or over all talent to go toe-to-toe with the Pats for a game or two but nobody has done it consistently.

If the Bills can play NE tough and keep the game close, that probably is the best they'll be able to do.  If they can actually win the game, that will border on miraculous, although far more realistic than it appeared to be a month ago.

NFL = Any team can win any week. How many 16-0 teams have their been? Every year, heck every week a bad team team beats a good team. This NE is good but far from the best especially given all the injuries and those better teams lost games. So no it wont be a miracle if the Bills win. 

11 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

The debate really is more about the value of having Belichick/Brady vs McD/Allen IMHO. I won't be disappointed no matter what the final score is this weekend. Allen is still learning on the job while Brady is a multiple Superbowl winning QB, maybe the best QB all time. Assuming NE and KC are the two best teams in the AFC, how good are the Bills? We may get some clues to this question this weekend. This season has a long ways to go and injuries are gonna be important as the season goes along. Are the Bills better than say Baltimore? I think we should know more about where the Bills stand in the AFC by the end of this season. They are certainly in fine shape cap wise for next season and with another solid draft like this years draft could be in a position to challenge KC/NE next season. Assuming the Bills make the playoffs which is still a big assumption at this point how will they fare against these two teams in the playoffs assuming they do get that far? Let's just enjoy the ride...

good post.  Even if we lose on Sunday (which, I don’t think we will!!!), there’s no denying this team is on the right path.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

the Jets and Bengals choked away wins to the Bills

simple

Actually they didn't. The Bills dominated the vast majority of both games and allowed both teams to be in the games due to their own mistakes. Both the Jets and the Bengals should have been blown out by halftime. If the Bills didn't make mistakes that (1) took away scoring opportunities and (2) directly led to opponent scoring opportunities, then it wouldn't have mattered what the other teams did.

The Bills gifted the Jets and the Bengals opportunities to win games in which they were, for the most part, dominated, and the Bills still beat them.

Your analysis is superficial, intellectually lazy, and nonsensical.

The Jets and the Bengals didn't lose the games because they choked. They lost because they were outplayed. 

Simple.

1 hour ago, Yav said:

None of this matters. Both Buffalo and NE have played poor teams. The difference is NE clobbered those poor teams and the Bills struggled. Sunday will be the hardest game for both teams and we will see what happens. Can't just look at the stats right now and claim a team is good. Look at KC, they've had 1 hard game vs Baltimore and until they face NE they have an easy schedule and I'm sure they will have all sorts of crazy stats, then they will head to NE and get beat. Sure they will make the playoffs and likely loose in the first round, why? Because they played an easy schedule.

The Bills played the Jets, Giants and Bungles, not really juggernauts and yea they won all 3 games but they should have dominated the Giants and the Bungles and really should have scored more vs the Jets. NE beat the Steelers 33-3, Miami 43-0 and the Jets 30-14. Sure they are not strong teams but they dominated and took care of business. 

Apparently that is all you are doing, is looking at the stats of the NE games and proclaiming them to be almost unbeatable. Try looking at the actual games. NE and Buff put up almost exactly the same numbers against the Jets. Had Buffalo not turned the ball over 4 times, ended two drives due to penalties and dropped balls, they would have blown the Jets out by halftime. The BIlls dominated the vast majority of the Giants and Bengals games - again beating themselves with turnovers, penalties, and mistakes that prevented both games from blow outs out at half time.

The Bills did dominate their opponents in play. They prevented themselves from blowing all three opponents out.

The whole point of my original post was to show that they are a good team, offensively, and if they do not beat themselves, they are absolutely capable of beating of the Pats*. No matter how invincible you think they are.

52 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Actually they didn't. The Bills dominated the vast majority of both games and allowed both teams to be in the games due to their own mistakes. Both the Jets and the Bengals should have been blown out by halftime. If the Bills didn't make mistakes that (1) took away scoring opportunities and (2) directly led to opponent scoring opportunities, then it wouldn't have mattered what the other teams did.

The Bills gifted the Jets and the Bengals opportunities to win games in which they were, for the most part, dominated, and the Bills still beat them.

The Jets and the Bengals didn't lose the games because they choked. They lost because they were outplayed. 

Simple.

Shoulda coulda would of. They didnt. fact they needed 2 late scores against teams they should of crushed offensively. Fact Bills offence is avg(17th) in ponts scored.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Apparently that is all you are doing, is looking at the stats of the NE games and proclaiming them to be almost unbeatable. Try looking at the actual games. NE and Buff put up almost exactly the same numbers against the Jets. Had Buffalo not turned the ball over 4 times, ended two drives due to penalties and dropped balls, they would have blown the Jets out by halftime. The BIlls dominated the vast majority of the Giants and Bengals games - again beating themselves with turnovers, penalties, and mistakes that prevented both games from blow outs out at half time.

The Bills did dominate their opponents in play. They prevented themselves from blowing all three opponents out.

The whole point of my original post was to show that they are a good team, offensively, and if they do not beat themselves, they are absolutely capable of beating of the Pats*. No matter how invincible you think they are.

Isn't that part of the game and true about every team? Good teams player smarter, make less mistakes, and dont turn the ball over. That is exactly why the Bills are not yet on the level of the Pats. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Shoulda coulda would of. They didnt. fact they needed 2 late scores against teams they should of crushed offensively. Fact Bills offence is avg(17th) in ponts scored.

Oh look, Mr. I don't care how immoral the players for my team are...

They're 3-0. We'll see what happens Sunday. Don't you have you're own message board to impart your nuggets of wisdom on?

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Simple.

The Bengals were being blown out by halftime.

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Isn't that part of the game and true about every team? Good teams player smarter, make less mistakes, and dont turn the ball over. That is exactly why the Bills are not yet on the level of the Pats. 

Last I looked, they are both undefeated. You nor I have any idea which team is better rght now. That is why they actually play the games. I guess we will see who is better this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bengals were being blown out by halftime.

14-0 at half is not being blown out in today's NFL. Had it not been for a drop by Knox at the 4, or the fumble by Yeldon, they could have been up by 21 and then it becomes a blow out - and changes the complexion of the game. Add in the awful interception by Allen in the 3rd, and a team that was absolutely dominated up to that point, was suddenly in the game.

My point was that it was only their own mistakes that kept these games even close. Those are the things they need to improve on before they move to the next level. However, they do have the ability to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

14-0 at half is not being blown out in today's NFL. Had it not been for a drop by Knox at the 4, or the fumble by Yeldon, they could have been up by 21 and then it becomes a blow out - and changes the complexion of the game. Add in the awful interception by Allen in the 3rd, and a team that was absolutely dominated up to that point, was suddenly in the game.

My point was that it was only their own mistakes that kept these games even close. Those are the things they need to improve on before they move to the next level. However, they do have the ability to get there.

The point others are also making is that they took a 2 TD lead over a bad team they were dominating and came out of the locker room and proceeded to allow 17 unanswered points to this same bad team.  The Bills were dominated in the second half.  Then they put together a winning drive very late.   The bad INT in the 3rd wasn't the only problem....

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point others are also making is that they took a 2 TD lead over a bad team they were dominating and came out of the locker room and proceeded to allow 17 unanswered points to this same bad team.  The Bills were dominated in the second half.  Then they put together a winning drive very late.   The bad INT in the 3rd wasn't the only problem....

Tell Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks how bad the Bengals are when they were outgained by 200 yards, had to score late, and snuck away with a 1 point win after being outplayed for most of the game. They had a bad game against the 49ers; however, they have a good front four, two good corners, and an offense that is capable of pushing the ball downfield and scoring points. 

And, yet, the Bills won - and they are 3-0. Why in the world do we have to look for so many reasons to put an asterisk next to it?

They have a lot of room for improvement; however, they are a good team - and will only get better.

• Like (+1) 2

Tom Brady plays the game like a robot.  He's nearly perfect.  That doesn't mean he completes every pass.  It means he gets what he can out of nearly every play even when that's nothing.  He rarely is sacked or turns it over and the supporting cast (offense, defense and special teams) fall in line and do their job.  They lack flash but they don't beat themselves.  To beat them you have to be closer to perfect and equally talented.  It's hard to do, but even the Patriots have their off games or find themselves in a tough matchup.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm interested to see how the team reacts if they win. That might sound dumb, but hear me out. When the bills beat new England back in 2011 with Fitz, the team acted like they had just won the superbowl. No doubt it was absolutely awesome for us fans and for the players at the time like Freddy Jackson who had never beaten the Pats, but I'm curious with McDermott, and the whole "it's just the next game" mentality, how bills players will be if they win. Obviously they'll be happy and excited, as they should be with any win, but how do they handle it with the exposure and hype that'll come with beating the Pats 

• Like (+1) 1